Author Topic: Sabiston's Of Orkney Islands  (Read 50424 times)

Offline Barry-Lion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sabiston's Of Orkney Islands
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 January 12 06:14 GMT (UK) »
My Mother's sister trvelled from melbourne Australia to the Orkney islands to see the original stone homestead which is still standing and was surprised that some of the vuildings there are over 4000 years old.

Barry-Lion

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stanger farm in Birsay, Orkney
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hey there Barry.
You wrote:
James Sabiston's daughter. Elizabeth, born 10 Oct 1835, married John Rawbon of Bristol, Somerset, born06 May 1835 and died on 8 July 1911.  They are my garndparent grandparent

Barry-Lion

I searched all my sources and couldn't find any matching records for "John Rawbon". Is that the correct spelling? Was he the 1st to go to Australia? If so, no records in the Australian archives either. If not, he didn't appear on the British 1881 census as well.
Can you help?

Jim
Davidson, Hourston, Murray, Robson, Sabiston, Stanger

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stanger farm in Birsay, Orkney
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 08 March 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Just found in the Hudson Bay Records a Hugh Sabbeston born about 1772 in Hudson Bay Area, joined the HBC in 1786. Married a Cree woman here. Had 2 sons before he died Nov 20, 1810.
Most likely his father was from Orkney.
Any ideas?
Davidson, Hourston, Murray, Robson, Sabiston, Stanger

Offline Kiwi Alan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sabiston One Name Study in the UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 10 March 13 06:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on the descendants of Thomas Sabiston and Ann Gorie - m.November 16, 1732 in Kirkwall, Orkney.  They had 5 children - John, David, Jannet, Magnus and Ann.
I believe I am descendant of Thomas & Ann's son David. My ancestor was David Sabiston born 1750 in NC but could that be the same David Sabiston born 1734 thereabouts? I am interested to tie the United States tree to Orkney with some help? Spanish eyes, Spence007 I believe we have corresponded previously. It appears Stangerlad & Birsayboy may be key? I appreciate any help?

I have quite a bit of info on this family and can send you a gedcom file.
Please send me your email address

I am doing a one study or the Sabiston Surname
Alan Hejl
Auckland New Zealand.
My mother is a Sabiston and during my research in my ancestors I have recorded all the instances of the surname Sabiston and spelling variations, which has become a One Name Study. I am happy to share the info I have, but would like a little in return to help fill in many missing pieces and linage  I have not yet been able to complete. My main focus is on the Orkney and English surname but have collected info on any instance of Sabiston I find and any spelling variation I come across