Author Topic: Birth/Baptism - Langham - ROSIER  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Keir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth/Baptism - Langham - ROSIER
« on: Wednesday 01 November 06 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Wondering if someone might be able to help.  I am chasing the children of James and Elizabeth Rosier nee Watson, married in Langham in Feb. 1834.

First born and eldest son, James Watson Rosier, was born in Langham, Dec. 1834, but believed baptised in early 1835.  George was born in 1837, followed by Thomas in 1839.

The parents marriage was found in the Langham parish records, but the Bury RO wasn't able to find any of the three boys in the same records.

The family appear on the 1841 living in Walsham-le-Willows.  By 1843 they had moved to Bedford, Bedfordshire.

James Snr. was a clock and watchmaker at this time before the move to Bedford.

Any information or suggestions would be most appreciated. 
Thanks, K.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Baptism - Langham - ROSIER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keir

Welcome to Rootschat

Have you checked the PRs for Walsham?
It's usual to marry in the parish of the bride, so maybe Elizabeth came from Langham but James worked in Walsham.  Langham is a very small parish whilst Walsham was a thriving large village with many trades.

However, there was a James Rosier blacksmith in Langham in 1844 !

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suffolkmawther,

Many thanks for the welcome!  I haven't checked the Walsham PR's yet.  I'm at a small disadvantage (perhaps) being in Australia, and have yet to tap into a source here that holds MF copies of some of these smaller parishes.  I approached the Church of Latter Day Saints, who had some of the possible ones listed, but a phonecall showed that these weren't actually available.

I've come across the James Rosier in the 1844 directory too, and originally thought that was my man.  But later research showed he was in Bedford by this date, and the the trade didn't seem to fit with the closer slide from watchmaking skills into gunsmithing. 

I wasn't aware Walsham was rather active.  I certainly got the impression from the directories Langham was rather on the small side of things.  Elizabeth's father was one of the early founders of Henry Watson's Potteries, still in existence today (http://www.henrywatson.com) in Wattisfield, Suffolk.

It's sounding like Walsham might be my best hunting ground.  I guess I should ask - as  we're here in requests - would anyone be in a position to check this for me?  How many churches are there in Walsham?  Don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase.

K.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi K

Walsham and Langham Parish Records have been filmed by the LDS and they are available for viewing at any of their Family History Centres worldwide.  You would have to order them in advance and pay a nominal fee.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

These records are also available for sale on microfiche from The Suffolk Record Office.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,129613.0.html

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 November 06 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rick,

I'll get back onto them and try and get a copy in.  I'll post my findings if they're of use to anyone else.

Cheers,
K.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 November 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I have been digging around a little bit more and there were a lot of Rosier's in Mendlesham.

I found the blacksmith listed again in my original copy of White's 1855 still working in Langham.  I checked on him as I wondered whether he could be your James' father?

In 1851 he is age 63 years and was born in Mendlesham
His wife Sarah was born in Langham and they had son Henry age 26 living at home and working with dad as a Journeyman blacksmith
there was a visitor Caroline Sawyer age 20/26 born Langham.

The only James I could find in Walsham-le-Willows in 1841 was

James Rosier Gun Maker 29 years

Elizabeth wife 28 years

James son  age 6 years

George son  3 years

Thomas son   2 years

Ann daughter  three months

Jeremiah Orams 16 years Gun Makers Apprentice

Eliza Baker 12 years Servant

In 1841 James and Sarah are smithing in Langham with sons Henry 15 and David 12.

Gun Makers were often apprenticed to gun makers in London such as Purdy's.

There is a problem in that at some time an incumbent at St Mary the Virgin in Mendlesham has refused permission for the LDS to film the records, so you would have to see if there is anyone going along to any branch of the SRO who would be willing to carry out a look up for you.  The PRs are from 1558-1900 on 33 fiche.

Langham St George are filmed and run from 1561-1900 on just 9 fiche

Walsham le Willows St Mary are 'awkward' - they are available at the SRO from 1539-1900 on 14 fiche and one film (1539-1856)  there is also a transcript 1539-1900.  It is possible that some of these have been filmed and others not filmed when it is a combination of fiche and film.

I have just been through my White's again and found that in Walsham there was a watch, clock and gun maker - William Last.  Wonder if he was master of James when apprenticed?

all best wishes, SM ...

PS I took a couple of photographs in Mendlesham a couple of weeks ago when I was at SLHC meeting - I have to return at the end of this month for our AGM.  The Church was covered in scaffolding but you can see it at www.suffolkchurches.co.uk

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 November 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi SM,

Many thanks for looking into this for me.  You've certainly found the right family on the 1841.  Jeremiah Orams went on to became a clockmaker, and the Daventry Museum - before it closed down, I believe - has a clock with his markings.

James Snr is the real mystery.  I've got the parents and grandparents on one side for Elizabeth, but James apparently just appears at the alter in Langham in 1834.

The family left England in late 1849, arriving in Melbourne in March 1850.  James was dead two years later in 1852.  Death certificate falls just outside of civil registration beginning in earnest in the colony, so details are scant.  No parents names.  He was 42 when he died, so should have been born c.1810-11.

An obit for one of his sons mentions him (James Snr) being a native of Cambridgeshire, though its the only mention of it.

If anyone is heading towards the SRO in the next little while, I'd be very appreciative if someone could have a glance at the Walsham PRs for me for any of them.  I rang the local LSD today, but they weren't sure if they could get Walsham.  I think I'll pop down though and have a chat to them.

Like your churches, SM - some fantastic early examples dotted about Suffolk.

K.

Offline halimey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm based in Victoria and I'm pretty sure my partner is a descendent of rosier watson the gunmaker...

Offline Lisnacrieve

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 May 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm based in Victoria and I'm pretty sure my partner is a descendent of rosier watson the gunmaker...

Hi Halimey,

Keir here, but had to create new login; it's been a while since I started this thread!  Very interesting about your partner's connection.  What's the best way to contact you to gain some more details?

Cheers