Author Topic: Burntisland  (Read 10914 times)

Offline bluemale38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burntisland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that i did know of them, the Elspeth her madian name was Hutchison and i knew she was born in St Andrews to a David Hutcheon but for the last few years have found nothing on her mother birthdate or siblings, the Burnt island topic and surrounding areas i have been looking for some time for the John Hinksman who have given me for his father and mother a William Hinksman and Jessie/Janet Davidson i know they are the parents of the John Hinksman, i cant find any details of them in fife although i know they where born and died in fife well so am told, dp you have access to the 1881 census Sheila as am looking for a Jessie Brown nee Hnksman and a Charles Brown married living in forgan or newport there son was the charles brown age 7 you sent, trying to find an address etc so i can go look regards jim
Hinksman, Forrest, Lowe. Low,Coull, Stewert, Todd, Brown, Brand Hutchison, Little,Flynn, Gracie,Johnstone, Fairweather,Davidson,MurDoch,Trottor,Smith,Scobie,Rodger

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
wILL HAVE A LOOK
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
fOUND THEM;
CHARLES BROWN AGE 32 BORN ENGLAND CHINA MERCHANT
JESSIE BROWN WIFE AGE 26 BORN NEWHILLS ABERDEEN
CHARLES D. BROWN SON AGE 2 BORN ABERDEEN

SHEILA
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
fORGET TO POST THE ADDRESS 17A WALES STREET census place Aberdeen St Nicholas Aberdeen
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 March 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
found another couple of Hinksmans on 1881 census;
John Hinksman unmarried age 32  Chemist born Wemyss Fife lodging with Agnes Barrie Widow age 45 address Kirton Street census place Carluke lanark

Henry Brand age 29 Joint proprietor of a Newspaper born Cupar Fife
Jane H.H. Brand age 29 born pittenweem fife
Robert J.Brand son age 1 born greenock
William Brand son 7months born Greenock
Thomas Brand age 12 nephew scholar
ROBERT HINKSMAN AGE 24 BORN NEWPORT FIFE BROTHER IN LAW MASON HEWER
SHEILA
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 07 05:03 BST (UK) »
bluemale38,

In your search for early HINKSMANs and their families, have you consulted the following resources.  They are available for purchase or you might be able to consult them at a library or genealogical society.

1. Fife Pre-1855 Deaths CD
This can be purchased from the Fife Family History Society.
Go to:
http://www.fifefhs.org/
and click on Publications.

2. Fife pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions
There are various volumes by John F. & Sheila Mitchell (they also published volumes for other counties).
These can be purchased from the Scottish Genealogy Society.
Go to:
http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/acatalog/Monumental_inscriptions.html
and click on Fife MI.
The Fife FHS also has some booklets of MIs for sale.

I note from the IGI that HINKSMAN appears in England in the Birmingham region back into the mid-1700s.

Good luck,

JAP

Offline bluemale38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:19 BST (UK) »
To Jap amd Shiela.

Thanks for the info very. The Hinksman that appears in English Census results sre not coonected to any Hinksman from Scotland. The Hinksman line that am descended from is from a German Jewish Sea Captain that came to Scotland (Fife) inn the late 1700s and married a Scots Lassie.
 I have a Name for His son who was a William Hinksman that Married a Janet/Jessie Davidson, i presume in the Burnt Island Kirkcaldy areas. I have no record on either of them except that they had a son born in Dysart Fife called John Hinksman born 18th June 1816 and his parents are down as William Hinksman & Janet / Jessie Davidson ( no Details on Them), i have been up to Dysart and searched the Graveyards one had some stones blocked off so couldnt find any details on them.
Searched Scotlands People as well and couldnt find nothing on the parents either, there son John Hinksman i have all his kids 9 in fact mariages etc, John Hinksman was married to a Elspeth Hutchinson in 1840 i think in either Largo or Ceres fife but his name is down as Hicksman which was most likely a spelling mistake. Elspeth in down in some census results as being born in St Andrews although i cant find her birth record and parents names as i havnt got her marriage cert yet. her death cert only says that her father was a David Hutcheon.

SHIELA- thanks for the information regarding regarding the Charles Brown, i dont think that is right as am aware that he married a Jessie Hinksman in 1870 in Forgan and that she died in Fife 1890 i think it was, the Charles brown census i was looking for would be in the fife area not aberdeen, they did have a son called Charles Hunter Brown if thats any help.

Thanks to you both regards Jim
Hinksman, Forrest, Lowe. Low,Coull, Stewert, Todd, Brown, Brand Hutchison, Little,Flynn, Gracie,Johnstone, Fairweather,Davidson,MurDoch,Trottor,Smith,Scobie,Rodger

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 March 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jim,

I've read all your various threads on this family.

I mentioned the HINKSMANs in the Birmingham area (who go back into the 1700s) only in passing.  But, even so, if I were you I would not disregard them totally given that you don't seem to be able to trace, (with any reliability), your HINKSMANs back past John HINKSMAN b 1816 in Dysart, son of William HINKSMAN & Janet DAVIDSON.  Everything else seems to be family folklore which may, or may well not, be reliable.  And this means that you do not know with any remote degree of certainty what happened before 1816.  So it's necessary to keep a completely open mind.

To digress for a moment, my children have the very rare Scots name LOCHTIE/LOCHTY (and, in one branch, LOUGHTY) in their ancestry - the name can be found in the early 1600s in Aberdour Fife (recorded in Dunfermline records from Aberdour - with very common Scots given names like Robert and John and Janet, etc) though this cannot be joined to the first subsequent appearances of the name in the late 1600s because of gaps in the records.  LOCHTIE folklore (from a branch which seems to have split off ca 1700) is that the name came from a 'Scandinavian' seaman who married a local girl in Aberdour, Fife in the late 1500s and LOCHTIE is what the locals made of his name or place of origin.  Who knows!!!  The Finnish name/place of LAHTI has been suggested as the origin - again, who knows!!  I feel sure we'll never know one way or another.

However, if I were you, I'd certainly check out the pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD, and the pre-1855 Fife Monumental Inscriptions booklets for all the names (including spelling variants) of interest to you (especially for the reputed Kirkcaldy MI for a HINKSMAN which you have mentioned).  I'd also be searching far and wide in the 1841 census for the HINKSMANs (however spelled - though the loss of Ceres certainly doesn't help) and the DAVIDSONs and the HUTCHINSONs (though David the fisherman in St Andrews in 1841 on FreeCEN seems quite likely).

All the best,

JAP   

Offline bluemale38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 March 07 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jap

I shall indeed check out the pre 1855 thanks, i have been doing this research for a few years, i did walk into this with a very open mind, my own side of the Hinksman family has a Folklore story that we where descended from a Dutch Seaman, whicj i took with a pinch of salt. Through my research i discover a relative of the John Hinksman born 1816, his great grandson aged 75 still living in Canada, he was told that his family where descended from a German Jew sea Captain that came to scotland, he told me this before i mention the sea captain link, also discovered a family descended from a Hinksman branch in dundee that also have this German Jew link in there past and have a Hinksman relative buried in the Jewish Graveyard in Dundee. So thats two family branchs that i didnt know about before i started this search that have the kind of same story in there background, seems these two other families connected seem to think that the name Hinksman back then was spelt Hinkesmann or Hinksmann and Hiegsmann. I havnt dis counted the english connected really havnt looked into it too much. But thanks for your tips etc. I do know that the Fife area was trading with germany baltic states during the 1700s.

Am sure i shall find a link or that somewhere, i have found the houses they lived in Abroath, Piitenweem and Dundee and have census results after the John Hinksman and his descendents marriages etc, just this William Hinksman and Janet Jessie Davidson has had me hooked for some time.

Many Regards Jim