Author Topic: Marriage ? in Coldstream abt 1826  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Ozjobri

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage ? in Coldstream abt 1826
« on: Friday 03 November 06 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out my GGGM was born in Coldstream abt 1807 . She married Stonemason =John Moody from Fenwick Northumberland . My
GGF Francis T Moody was bapt RC in Berwick in 1827 . I am guessing that they married before then . Due to the legal sit. & her birthplace can
any kind person see a marriage for them ?
      To overcome this  obstacle would be tremendous .

Jose

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage ? in Coldstream abt 1826
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jose

You've omitted to say what your gggm's name was!

A word of caution, I assume by RC you mean Roman Catholic. If so, it will be very difficult for you to find details of her birth and marriage (and their children) on line. The IGI and Scotlands People (the official pay to view site for BMDs and censuses) and their Old Parish Register entries are for mainly the Established Church of Scotland records (Presbyterian). You will probably need to find out how to obtain details/carry out searches of RC marriages for the area (I speak from bitter experience with my RC family in the Highlands!).

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ozjobri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
   Her name was Catherine Hay & yes their children were bapt. Roman Catholic so either or both of them were . I thought it was worth a chance  just to ask . Silly to make the mistake but from the other side of the world it was worth a try .
    Good luck in your research . Its fascinating !!!
         Jose

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Jose
have you tried phoning The Archives Wallice Green at Berwick Lynne is very good there and as Coldstream is in the Berwick area she may can help you

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Ozjobri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 November 06 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Elizabeth,
   I live in NSW Australia . Its hard when you are so far away . I only recently found out some of my family were from Kyloe Northumberland &
 now that someone came from Coldstream . I realise there are major problems re legality of RC marriages and where people went to "overcome" this . Rootschat people have been so good I thought it was worth a try . Time diff for the calls is a prob. too .
       Many thanks
              Jose

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 06 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jose

Here is a link that gives you some addresses of Archives in the area:

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/scotland/borders.html

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 06 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Jose ,
I understand the time difference I have rellies in Sydney
Kyloe is a small hamlet of east lyloe and west Kyloe I also had family born there they were Starks and Robert the father was a shepherd and moved all over Northumberland I have been there and took a photo of the church as I only lived about 7 miles from Kyloe  before I got married
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 November 06 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Kyloe Church has now been made into a home
Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 November 06 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Will try to put this church through