Author Topic: Fairbairns in Roxburghshire  (Read 1957 times)

Offline N.K.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fairbairns in Roxburghshire
« on: Friday 03 November 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Am looking for any descendants of the offspring of Alexander Fairbairn (born Ednam c.1788  and Isabella (nee Aitchison):

Jane (born. c.1812); Alexander (born c.1813); Thomas (born parish of Morebattle, c.1814) James (born Eccles, c. 1815); Isabella (born Whitton, Roxburghshire c.1821); John (born Oxnam, c.1826); Agnes (born Roxburghshire c.1829); Helen (born Roxburghshire, c.1831).

Jane married James Hills, and her younger sister Isabella (or Isabel) married William Hills (James's brother). There is also a seven-year old grandson called James living with Alexander and Isabella in 1851, who could possibly be the son of their widowed son James, also living in the household at that time. Another grandson Alexander was also living with them, who was the son of their son Thomas.

Isabella and William Hills emigrated to Canada c.1851. She remarried there in 1865.
Fairbairn, Storey, Currie, McKew (McCue), Reece
Areas: Ancrum, Roxbrughshire, Amble, Northumberland, Sunderland

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
Re: Fairbairns in Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I have Alexander and Isabella's son Alexander as dying in 1890 at Holefield, ROX as a 79 yr old widower, farm servant, s/o Alexander, farm servant dec. and Isabella (AITCHISON), the informant being son in law Andrew WAUGH.
I believe this Andrew Henderson WAUGH to have married Alexander's dtr Catherine.
In 1881 Andrew & Catherine with children James 12 and Mary 8 were living at Holefield Rd, Sprouston with widowed father-in-law Alexander FAIRBAIRN
Haven't managed to connect these FAIRBAIRNs to my Morebattle/Sinton & Simprin lot yet (Walter & Agnes (nee ROBERTSON/ROBINSON).
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline N.K.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fairbairns in Roxburghshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

Thanks for that - that's filled in another bit of my tree. We've been in touch before re. Thomas Fairbairn. I now need to establish whether Alexander (ie. the one who married Isabella Aitchison, is actually the son of James Fairbairn and Agnes Lindsay (birth date and place of birth fit, but given the numbers of Fairbairns about in that area that is no true indicator). I need to delve about in the Records office in Scotland more.

Natasha

Update (09/2007): Alexander is the son of James Fairbairn and Agnes Lindsay
Fairbairn, Storey, Currie, McKew (McCue), Reece
Areas: Ancrum, Roxbrughshire, Amble, Northumberland, Sunderland