Author Topic: 1881 census, search by street?  (Read 9781 times)

Offline florence kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 census, search by street?
« on: Friday 03 November 06 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I often look at the 1881 census on familysearch, the mormon site.  you have to start from the name of a person, which is of course v sensible.
But, suppose I want to start from an address or just a  street, can i do it that way round, and if so how?

Any clues welcome!

Florence Kate

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census, search by street?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Florence Kate

The 1881 census is free to use here http://www.ancestry.co.uk/Default.aspx and it is searchable by street.

Tip: when searching by street it is sometimes best also to try the abbreviations, for example

Richard Street
also try
Richard St
you can also try
3 Richard St (but I find this sometimes doesn't work very well)

And to narrow it down if you have a common street name, use the County or Parish if you know it.

Regards
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline florence kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 06 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that was quick.  I'll try it straight away.
F.K.

Offline florence kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 06 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Well, I tried, and something was wrong somewhere.  Either I got asked for the name of the person, which isn't what I want,
OR
I was asked which Enumeration District I was interested in (always presuming I knew such a thing!), and that led me straight onto FREE TRIAL with ancestry.co.uk.  Is that what I want?

FK

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 06 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi FK

To use the 'free' databases which includes the 1881 you have to register for a free account with them.  So if you go to this page http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/census/uk/default.aspx and scroll down to select 1881 a small screen will be provided to register for a Free account.

Hope that works now.

Regards
Biker

Offline florence kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, I got to the right place.  Thanks very much for your further instructions.
I am trying various combinations of facts as I know them, and haven't got a solution as yet, but I shall persevere.

Thanks for getting me this far.

Florence Kate

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Florence Kate

Glad you've got a good start.  If you need any help locating anything there are lots of people willing to help, so let us know.

Cheers
Biker

Offline florence kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 06 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Dear Biker, and anyone else who likes puzzles,

I set out with renewed vigour, but I obviously DO need some help! My  greatgrandparents seem not to be on the 1881 census for some reason:  my first suspicion is that their surname has got altered, it wouldn't be the first time!

I am looking for William Fulford (Head) and Sarah Ann Fulford (wife).  He was born about 1832 and she 1833.  They were definitely both alive in 1881.  I would  have expected to find them in Birmingham because of  William's job as a Pearl Button worker/turner/maker  ( job mentioned in 1851 census, in 1861 census, on his 1886 death certificate, and in 1886 on his son's marriage certificate).

In 1861 they lived in Springfield St, Ecclesiastic District of All Saint's Birmingham - very much the Jewellery Quarter - but I cannot find them in the 1871 census.  My only other clue is William's death in 1886, when he was living in Back Piddock Street, also All Saint's.

In 1861 their son William was 7.  I think by 1871 he may have been living as a Boarder in Camden Street with the Forrgue family.  So what had become of his parents?

If anyone can come up with the whereabouts of William (Senior) and Sarah Ann in 1871, and the pair of them plus William (Junior) in 1881, I should be quite amazed, and highly delighted.

I can quite appreciate that this request may well be in the wrong section of the Rootschat system.  My apologies, but you can see why it's here -  simply because it's following up my original general point.

Thank you all,

Florence Kate

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 16 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Well, I got to the right place.  Thanks very much for your further instructions.
I am trying various combinations of facts as I know them, and haven't got a solution as yet, but I shall persevere.

Thanks for getting me this far.

Florence Kate

Thankyou Biker and Florence Kate,  :-* 

This old conversation has been useful for me ... I have been stuck on the 1881 census for John Perkin, bootmaker of 142 Rockingham Street, Sheffield, and thankfully you have helped me search without a surname in A*stry 1881 census.

Poor John TERKIN and family were at home all along.  ;D

FK - Did you solve your Fulford puzzle?

Salute,

Janelle