Author Topic: Advice Needed - Heraldic Arms/Family Crests  (Read 2125 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Advice Needed - Heraldic Arms/Family Crests
« on: Sunday 05 November 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've a long time brick wall with one of my ancestors prior to his marriage in 1698 at Runcorn, Cheshire (Roger Bankes).  I've been trying to determine if he has any connection to the Bankes of Winstanley or, earlier, of Bank Newton in Yorkshire.  Thinking laterally, I have a copy of the heraldic arms for my 5xggrandfather John Bankes from a plaque at Runcorn Church, and there are striking similarities to that of the Bankes family of Winstanley (and of Soughton, Flintshire).

How can I research this and find out if the common elements indicate that the families are connected?  Are there any definitive reference works available?  I understand that the Coat of Arms needed to be registered (with the Heraldic Institute?) so would like to validate the information so far.  My only sources so far have been the plaque at the church, and a description in Burkes Landed Gentry - some of the other Bankes coats of arms are illustrated in Burkes as well.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed - Heraldic Arms/Family Crests
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine has done an enormous amount of research into heraldry and has loads of contacts. He is away for a couple of weeks now, but if this issue is still unresolved by the time he gets back, I will happily refer your query to him.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed - Heraldic Arms/Family Crests
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 06 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick, that will be really useful.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)