Author Topic: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields  (Read 131473 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 March 07 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julian,

Forgot to mention you can view the 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census and the 1906 Prairie Census (Manitoba, Sask. & Alberta)  for free at www.automatedgenealogy.com

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 September 08 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello: I'm Cherie Lynn and totally lost making my first post. Googled my 3rd greatgrand Henry Lee and turned up these posts. I also saw the 1875 death record for a henry and thought that might be him. In Dec 1864 a death record for the son Henry Thompson Lee? I couldn't find Annie Mary. My 2nd greats Mary Caroline Lee married John Kidd and Immigrated to America with son Harry Hutton Kidd (more). Harriet Alice Lee married John Kidd's brother James Hutton Kidd and immigrated to New Zealand with their sons James Hutton Kidd of the Gala Apple fame, no descendants; Wilfred Kidd possible descendants.  Clara Jane Lee married James Kendall?, children. And Charles Havelock Lee I followed through records to Wales Charles dying maybe 1901 Cardiff and he and Florence had Archibald Henry, Ann Margaret and Dorothy. Henry's parents James Lee and Ann Havelock Lee and have had contact with Havelock and with New Zealand archives. More... Hope "yall are still looking. Cherie Lynn
Kidd and Hutton: Newry, Lancashire
Lee and Thompson: Bishopwearmouth, South Shields
Jones and Thomas: Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire
Wilson: unk, Ireland, York, Ontario
Knox: unk, Scotland, York, Ontario
Salvas Dit Laviolette, Lizotte, Pelletier, Langois: Quebec & France

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Cherielynn and welcome to the 'never-ending-puzzle'.

It will be several weeks before I can do a reasonable reply to your post. We moved house yesterday and all my books and papers are buried in cartons, but,... sadly, ...off the top of my head .... the surnames HUTTON and KIDD don't ring any bells. Can you supply any names from further back?? or any snippetts of family legends??
THOMPSON  is a common surname and in that time period, HAVELOCK was a very common given name (in honour of the famous general). It's quite possible that we are talking about different families, butI will reply again when I can.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Westoe: Here is the marriage cert of Caroline Lee to John Kidd Commercial Traveller. and the witnesses are Harriet Alice, Caroline's sister and James Kidd, John's brother. It names her father as Henry Lee Ship Owner and John's is John Kidd Wholesale Clothier. It will be here IF I can attach it. Also have other docs. Hope your move goes well. I look forward to hearing...Cherie Lynn (says the file is too large to send let me see what I can do it is over 1 mg but is a jpeg) more... I will try again to send

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 22:36 BST (UK) »
her is the cert. I cropped it close and now is less than 500. Thanks for your interest. Cherielynn

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Cherielynn

LOL - this (certificate and post) all happened while I was trying to work out if who I had recorded as Caroline Lee really was the Mary Caroline Lee quoted in your post of 1 September.  I'll buy that it is  - not just on the father - Henry Lee shipbuilder -  but as much on the sister Harriet Lee as witness.

I only got involved with this very intetresting family helping out a friend.  He is descended from the Archibald Henry Lee that you found in Cardiff in 1901.

Clara Jane Lee married James Kendall?, children.

Can't help on this one.

Henry's parents James Lee and Ann Havelock Lee and have had contact with Havelock and with New Zealand archives.

James Lee and Ann Havelock married 8 January 1803 Bishopwearmouth.  Ann Havelock baptised 9 December 1772 Sunderland - daughter of William and Ann Havelock.  James was shown in the 1827 Sunderland Directory as a Shipowner, living at Waterloo Place (Bishopwearmouth).

My friend is "positive" that these Havelocks were part of the same family as the famous soldier Havelock.  (But of course could be a family myth)

Anne Thompson (Henry Lee's wife) comes from an interesting family.  Her father Enoch Donkerley Thompson was also a shipowner - in South Shields.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 23:14 BST (UK) »
A quick afterthought.  Where did Caroline Lee and John Kidd get married?  It is hard to read on the certificate.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 00:04 BST (UK) »
I must dash but saw your question -- they married St George's Church, Everton, West Derby, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

Caroline left in 1874 with Harry and second son Ernest and then also had a trip back to the UK and returned again to the US in 1880
Information removed
In 1880 census of the US familysearch.org John and Caroline, son Harry and their 3rd son Reginald Sherman Kidd are in Indiana,
Information removed

Son Ernest goes to Denver marries Anna Fisher and has two children. He is absent many years but then in his WWI he is stated to be blind and so maybe was in schools some years.

Reginald Sherman Kidd was artist and Illustrator with Saturday Evening Post and instructor with St. Botolph's in Boston and Illustrated books for RF Feeno NY. Spent much of his time back and forth to the Continent. Married Flora Nee Unknown -- Children?

Harry Hutton Kidd wound up in Wisconsin, married Quebecois Louise Salvas and had 8 children, 7 living to adult. more

Harriet Alice Lee Kidd and James went to New Zealand be sure to see

http://irisarchives.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

His picture is online New Zealand will send more.

very sorry so messy but didn't want to leave you with nothing more for today. more... tomorrow Cheirelynn

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 11:09 BST (UK) »

James Lee and Ann Havelock married 8 January 1803 Bishopwearmouth.  Ann Havelock baptised 9 December 1772 Sunderland - daughter of William and Ann Havelock.  James was shown in the 1827 Sunderland Directory as a Shipowner, living at Waterloo Place (Bishopwearmouth).

My friend is "positive" that these Havelocks were part of the same family as the famous soldier Havelock.  (But of course could be a family myth)

JULIAN

Hi JULIAN
Your friend is correct :)
George Havelock of Guisbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire married a Barry, a relation of the Barry family of Whitby Shipowners. They had three sons and three daughters. His second son Willliam Havelock settled in Sunderland c. 1758, he died 10th Oct. 1777.
William Havelock lived in a large house in Silver Street, Sunderland, and was one of the towns major  ship-owners. He married Anne Longboatham, the daughter of Jacob Longboatham, of Guisborough
They had three sons and four daughters, the youngest was Anne Havelock who married James Lee. Their eldest son William Havelock (1757-1837), of Ford Hall, married Jane Carter, 16th Aug. 1787, and they had five sons, the second of which was the famous Sir Henry Havelock K.C.B. (1795-1857).
So Anne Havelock Lee was the aunt of Sir Henry.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk