Author Topic: William GOLLOP  (Read 26783 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: William Gollop
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 19:04 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ Hi everyone.....

Oct NOv Dec  1839  William Gollop  Tiverton X 269  ??? ??? maybe .......maybe not

curioser and curioser....cheryl
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 20:29 GMT (UK) »
 :) 1841 Charmouth.....John Hodges  the butcher and family could be Sarah's brother.....so maybe family of John Hodges age 6 with Edward and Sarah in 41.....havent found William living with anyone in Charmouth.

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi cheryle   Never herd of John Hodges she might of had him befor she married Edward. Dont have a marriage cert. How does a person find them?  ;D al b
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al and all  ;D

It certainly  looks as if the Charmouth family of Edward & Sarah GOLLOP are your William's family - there was not, as it happens another more obvious Census choice for your William b abt 1837 other that these ones. The names, location , occupations age all fits....I also think you are right  in his age -  for if yours did marry Francis, it seems he  consistently returned a YOB circa 1837.

There is an extracted Birth on the IGI  for :
William James GOLLOP born 20 APr 1837, Chr 4 May 1837 Independant, Charmouth
Parents are  Edward  GOLLOP & Sarah CLARKE

Do you have any evidence anywhere of your William having a middle name? Though perhaps it was a Christening name and never thereafter used by the parents or himself. Also interesting to note that Edward & Sarah's dau Louise was baptised with another first Christian name that doesn't show anywhere else, not even on her death record (probably 1895 per FREEBMD)

I do wonder if William is Devon  in 1841...The key to deciding if this is a possibility   is in discovering who 'your' Edward's parents are

There are 2 WIlliam GOLLOP's in Honiton 1841 both say born in Devon - and I believe they are  are probably related (cousins?). One is  with parents James & Charlotte and he's with them in 1851 too born in Honiton, , and I believe this William he went on to marry a Mary Underdown and is in Census thru with her.

The other one is this:--

1841: Homiton, Devon - Hundred of Axminster
REF: HO107/200/20, Fol 5 - Pg4
ADDRESS: Crown & Sceptre Court
//
Ester GOLLOP 65, Lace Maker - N
Ann GOLLOP 30 Lace Maker - Y
Temperance GOLLOP 30 Lace Maker - Y
Henry GOLLOP 11, Shoe Maker - Y
/
William GOLLOP 4 - Y
Mary DRAKE 15 Lace Maker Y
//

the / & // marks denote they were in the same house and in this case I would have thought,  that the first 4 were nuclear mother and daughters, with Henry being the son of one of the 2 younger women) and the other 2 chd were not so nuclear  ie possibly grandchildren who parent(s) are not in the house? The IGI lists 2 children to Esther and Edward GOLLOP: Edward and Temperance. No Ann.

Of course the William in 1841 with Ester  may not even have been born Honiton, but I  can't find evidence of a second William GOLLOP born Honiton circa 1837 on any Census other than the son of Henry & Charlotte.........

This website:
 http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg49.htm
Talks of an Ann GOLLOP who went on to marry William E MADDOCK. - indicates Temperance was Ann's sister and Henry was probably Temperance's son.
In 1851 they are all together in Devon.. In 1861 Henry GOLLOP, a Bootmaker,  is married to a Mahala with children, one of whom is named Ester.

This researcher then goes on, it appears, to list a  James GOLLOP b 1811  and Mary,  of Honiton -  he does not list an Ann as a daughter but he does note that James & Mary and their family live on Crown & Sceptre court in 1841, the same as Ann does ( we know, with Ester).

He also then lists James and Charlotte GOLLOP, the parents of the other William I found in 1841 Honiton.
He also then states Ann GOLLOP was the daughter of Esther.
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg46.htm#1626
and that Ester's husband was Edward:
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg46.htm#1627
He then lists children of Esther & Edward as Ann, Temperance, Henry and WIlliam - but patenly wrong I beleive, in the last two - Ester would have been too old to give birth to them herself (besides which he elsewhere states Henry is a nephew of Ann, not a brother).

It may be worth contacting the website owner to see what more he may have on these GOLLOP's - ie: on the Esther & Edward GOLLOP and their son Edward....
Email link for them is on home page here:
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 22:24 GMT (UK) »
This website:
http://www.swmaritime.org.uk/article.php?articleid=274&atype=m

Talks of a Henry Gollop of Charmouth who sailed to Newfoundland in 1872. He arrived with his cousin Edwin Clarke, both stonemasons......

I'm thinking this may well be your William;'s brother Henry.....

There's an email address to contact the person with this information

Cheers
AMBLY

PS: On Topic:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,194415.msg962391.html#msg962391
I've given you some hopefully helpful links to learn how to go about getting English BDM Certificates post 1837 and about Parish registers pre 1837. As I mentioned there, looks you'll be needing some certs soon!

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 01:30 GMT (UK) »
There are  2 Edward GOLLOP's born or Chr  in Honiton DEVON on the IGI who could be 'our Edward':
1) born 7 May 1810 (chr 24 May 1811) to parents Edward & Esther
2) Chr 25 Dec 1816 to Parents Henry & Elizabeth
It's very possible these two Edwards are related in any case but....

"Our" Edward appears to return a YOB of circa 1812-1814 on all Census except 1871 where it indicates, frustratingly, 1809!
His most likely death is registered Bridport, Dorset 1899  age 84 - YOB abt 1815.

The frustrating bit comes in because:
Apart of from 'our' Honiton Edward on the Census 1841 thru 1891 - there  appears another one:
1861:  Edward GOLLOP 52  b Honiton Devon, about 1809. (wife is Mary A born St Giles age 41) He was a Coachman.
1881: He's down as Edward GOLOP age 67 (YOB 1814)
And probable death: Edward GOLLOP in Lambeth 1886 , age 73 (YOB 1813).

This Lambeth Edward, I cannot find any other Census 1841, 51, 71.
The idea was, if the 2 Census EDwards are the 2 IGI Edward's -  to try identify which was which parent wise!

And of course this may all be wrong entirely re your Edward's birth family - who we only look at becasue of the possibilty of who  that lad in Honiton with Esther in 1841 might be!  I actually do think the famlies fit together somehow anyway..... but.....

Your William GOLLOP  may be on a Census with the wrong surname "Dittoed" -  for example  with CLARKE family and ditto surnamed as CLARKE.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 07:41 GMT (UK) »

;D  ;D  Fantastic Stuff  ;D     ;D     Ambly

( i only wish that was info connected with my family)  ;)

best wishes cheryle.f

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi  all  Dont have much to go on These were Grandmas people All I have is grandmas old birth cert. Says Registration district Axminster Birth sub district Lyme in the counties Devon Dorset. Her father listed as William Gollop Mother as Mary Ann Gollop late Hodder formerly Gordge. Lists his profession as Stone Merchants Labourer. She was born 1886 the 81 census lists him as 44. He was fishing with a brother and was killed in a rocg slide in the 1890s I hope this will help Grandma died 1973 at 87.  al b
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Al b!  :o
You've  nearly given me heart failure - but I''ve taken a breath ....perhaps all is not wasted yet.

But may I just say  - all that lovely biographical information and the 1881 info you just posted up, it should have been at the beginning of this post in your oriiginal query!!! At the very least, chucked into the pot  when Mimosa put up the wife named Francis . When you thanked us all, and said he was your grandpa - we all assumed we were on the right track when perhaps we were not at all!

The more information you can provide, no matter how small, can better help us better help you - not only that, but it also avoids needless, needle  searching (it's sometimes quite a time-consuming challenge to find people) and also lessens the risk of your posts being ignored because they are too vague.

That old original issue birth cert you have - gold - it's your best key to the past. For a start, from that cert  you know the 1881 Census is therefore correct and is the base to work from......Yes, Charmouth is covered by the Axminster Registration District, sub RD is Lyme.  As it happens, Axminster RD  also covers some Devonshire towns, including Honiton.

If you haven't already, have a play around with  FREEBMD for some of your  family, and take the opportunity to click on the District names to see what the definitions of them is.  For example, use the SEARCH facility  and see if you can find a probable listing for Frances GOLLOP's  death......or William's?  and most importantly: the one for the cert you really need next: the marriage of William to Mary Ann.
http://www.freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Can you tell us:
You mention William was fishing with a Brother when he was sadly killed:  - Where diid this happen? And do you know the brother's name?

So Got that off my chest, and starting from the start.....
It  looks like, that your William in 1881 is here - was he widowed by Frances??

1881: Lyme Regis, Dorset
RG11/ Piece 2126- Folio 62- Pg25
ADDRESS: Horse Street
Head: William GOLLOP 44, Widower, Boatman, b Lyme Regis, Charmouth
Son: Frank GOLLOP 20 unm, Boatman
Dau: Emily GOLLOP 13, Scholar
Dau: Sarah GOLLOP 11, Scholar
Dau: Mary GOLLOP 9, Scholar
Son: Alfred GOLLOP 3
Visit: Mary Ann HODDER 23, marr, Housekeeper
Son Samuel HODDER 3, b Morecombslake* Dorset
*All other born Charmouth

Now just to clarify and revisit Mimosa's 1871 Census post (prv pg 1).
1871 - ADDRESS: Old Lyme Road, Charmouth
Head: William Gollop 35 Shoemaker
Wife Frances Gollop 36
Son: Francis Gollop 9
Dau: Elizabeth A Gollop 6
Son: William Gollop 3
Dau: Emily J Gollop 1

QUESTIONS RAISED
RE: CENSUS 1871
1. The road they are living on is the same road  as this William GOLLOP's  (very likley) parents, Edward & Sarah.
2. On the same page, same street.  is James HODGES a Butcher, with wife Susan and their family (is this the one you saw Cheryle?  ;D)
3. William has changed occupations - after being a Shoemaker/Cordwainer since 1841

RE: CENSUS 1881
If this is the same family as 1871 -
1.  Where is Sarah  in 1871 age abt 1  - or is her age out in 1881?
2.  Where is  Elizabeth A age 16, William age 13?
3..Is Emily J age 1 in 1871 the same as Emily age 13 in 1881?

So, off to see where that leads.....

Cheers
AMBLY