Author Topic: William GOLLOP  (Read 26823 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: William Gollop
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
 :) Yes....sorry Ambly...I really should have waited to see what road you were going down before putting my big size nines in. When i checked Charmouth page by page it just struck me as strange that there were so many Hodge/s family in close prox to the Gollops but i think i only found one lady with the surname Clarke and she was elderly.....so i was still banking on Sarah being Sarah Ann Hodge/s and not Sarah Clarke. But either way births have now come up for William Gollop(son)in Charmouth child of Edward and Sarah....so i will just watch from the sidelines with great interest ;D

regards cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi  All   Been trying to get all this info together. My mother ( no relation)  Had that old birth cert. and she has been trying to remember the old tales . He quit the stone mason work because of wife illness and Mary Ann Hodder mooved in to take care of wife untill she passed on than he married Mary Ann He was fishing with brother Edward we think. Must have been off the coast where there was a high mountain or clift. Rock slide His brother was saved. As far as his family and Hodges cant help at all. Mom is 80 and takes a while to think. These were my fathers people and he is gon also. Thanks again to everyone shure is interesting  al b
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 November 06 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all   Just looking at that Ann Gollop 41 cen. Might have been an aunt and william was staying with her is why he was not on the 41 cen. at home :D  al b

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 November 06 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al
Yep, that was the idea: not so much that Ann was his Aunt - but that Esther was his Granny. Ie: that Esther was mother, Ann & Temperance were her daughters, Henry was son of either Temperance or Ann, &  William could be  a Grandson and Mary Drake could be another grandchild . 

The problem is, this 1841 Census has that William  enumerated as born Devon.  So while it  is something to keep in mind as you get back further and eventually confirm William's parents and his 2 sets of grandparents you won't know if that's a real possibility, and even then, you'd have to know who everyone married  and bred from this large family before you could safely conclude that William 41 is your William...Like I also said, he could be with relatives on his maternal side and incorrectly be down as their surname. ...daunting, but think of the fun you'll have chasing them all!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 November 06 04:33 GMT (UK) »
This is the only one I can find for 1891:

1891:Lyme Regis, Dorset
REF: RG12; Piece: 1666; Folio 58; Page 31
ADDRESS: Lynch
Surname:  GOLLOP
William  45, Stone Merchants  Labourer, b Charmouth
Wife: Mary Ann 34, b Charmouth
Son: Samuel G, 15, Stone Merchants  Labourer, b Charmouth
Dau: Elizabeth 10, b Lyme
Son: James 8, Scholar, b Lyme
Dau: Rose 5, Scholar, b Lyme
Son: John 2, Scholar, b Lyme

If this is him, and I think it is - William's age is way out here - should be 55 by all accounts, may be an enumerators error.
Samuel G GOLLOP is probably Mary Ann's son Samuel George HODDER b 1877 by her first marriage, though age is out too.

And 1901 - looks like Mary Ann remarried - there is no head of house listed:
1901: Lyme Regis Dorset
REF: RG13/ Piece: 2015- Folio 35;-Pg20
ADDRESS: Pickle Square
Wife: Mary A  ROBERTS 47, Charwoman, b Charmouth
Son: Henry F HODDER 19, Navvy on Railway, b Lyme Regis
Son: John GOLLOP 13, Errand Boy Port Shoe Shop, b Lyme Regis
Son: Thomas GOLLOP 8, Scholar b Lyme Regis
Dau: Bessie E T GOLLOP 5, Scholar, b Lyme Regis
Dau: Jessie ROBERTS 2 months, b Lyme Regis

Also need to clarify Mimosa post re the 1861:
1861: Charmouth Street
Head: John HUNTER 66, Widower, Dealer in Fossils , b Charmouth
Lodger: William GOLLOP 23, cordwinder (not wainer!) b Charmouth
Wife: Frances GOLLOP 24,
Living at Charmouth Street
RG9 1370 folio 13 pg 19

John HUNTER is very likely Frances'  father.
Fossil Dealer ? I'm sure it says that - with the old fashioned double 's' thing!

All those echildren to sort out - and find - seems like they are all over the place in Census!

Per FREEBMD: Likely (not proven!):
William GOLLOP married Frances HUNTER 1860
Mary Ann GORGE married George HODDER 1876
Frances GOLLOP died 1878
George HODDER died 1885
Willam GOLLOP married Mary Ann HODDER 1885
William GOLLOP died 1893
Mary Ann GOLLOP married John Thomas ROBERTS 1899

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 November 06 05:02 GMT (UK) »
The Census children.....the ones not on one census to another.....
Some would need a bit of digging and certs to identify - they could be out working away from home & family if over age 13, the girls could be married after age  16 etc etc however:

I think WIlliam GOLLOP b 1868 to William & Frances on 1871, could have  married an Annie - and he is in Lyme Dorset 1891 with wife & chd including a dau named Frances. I can't find him however in 1881 or 1901.

I think Francis the son b 1862 to William & Frances on 1871 & 1881, may have married an Elizabeth GORGE (FREEBMD) but I can't find him on 1891 or 1901

But the BEST is:
The son Alfred GOLLOP b 1878 to William & Frances, who is with widower William in 1881 (and Frances may have died giving birth to him).  In  1891 age abt 13 he is not with William & step-mother Mary Ann- the only possible find for him is here:

1891: Chard SOmerset
RG12/ Piece1893- Folio 44- pg19
ADDRESS: Fore STreet
Head: Henry ELSTON 47, Master Blacksmith, b Heathsbeck Devon
Wife: Mary A ESLTON 50, b Charmouth, Dorset
Dau: FLorence A ELSTON 17, unm, Dressmaker Apprentice, b Chard, Somerset
Dau: Sarah A ELSTON 13, Scholar, b Chard, Somerset
Dau: Beatrice A ELSTON 11, Scholar, b Chard, Somerset
Son: Reginald A ELSTON 5, Scholar, b Chard SOmerset
Boarder: Thomas PARRETT 21, Blacksmith Apprentice, b Charmouth Dorset
Boarder: Alfred GOLLOP 15, b Charmouth Dorset

Recognise the Somerset address and the people?
It the same people and address where  Sarah GOLLOP age 88 - William's probable mother -  was at in 1901! Mary Ann ELSTON, I am 99.999% sure will prove to be nee Mary Ann GOLLOP, dau of Edward GOLLOP & Sarah CLARKE and sister of your William. ie: Alfred is boarding at his Aunt's house in 1891.

So full circle I have come, and smiling I am I am, since it seems we could be on the right track all the while  ;D

But, that marriage  cert of William GOLLOP to Mary Ann HODDER nee GORGE - since this you know for a fact is right  - is needed to start the ball of proof rolling and confirm if your William's dad was indeed Edward the mason.

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William GOLLOP
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 November 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly  First of all  the 1891 With William stone merchant labourer is correct Rose 5 is Grandma.Samual was Mary anns son She talked about her younger brother John and brother James John died at about 19 and her and james didnt speak Dont recall gm. saying her mother re maried Mimosa 1860 lists William as lodger could have rented when he first married. Looks like old William couldnt make up his mind on a trade. Also Francis died of an ailment I d say like cancer she was sick for about three years. Mary Ann Hodder was care giver. Also some of them lived with relatives money was tight. As I get more info  will post Thanks again  al.b

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William GOLLOP
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 November 06 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  How do I go about getting that marrage cert. ?   al b

Offline pamzilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 10 June 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Al and all  ;D

It certainly  looks as if the Charmouth family of Edward & Sarah GOLLOP are your William's family - there was not, as it happens another more obvious Census choice for your William b abt 1837 other that these ones. The names, location , occupations age all fits....I also think you are right  in his age -  for if yours did marry Francis, it seems he  consistently returned a YOB circa 1837.

There is an extracted Birth on the IGI  for :
William James GOLLOP born 20 APr 1837, Chr 4 May 1837 Independant, Charmouth
Parents are  Edward  GOLLOP & Sarah CLARKE

Do you have any evidence anywhere of your William having a middle name? Though perhaps it was a Christening name and never thereafter used by the parents or himself. Also interesting to note that Edward & Sarah's dau Louise was baptised with another first Christian name that doesn't show anywhere else, not even on her death record (probably 1895 per FREEBMD)

I do wonder if William is Devon  in 1841...The key to deciding if this is a possibility   is in discovering who 'your' Edward's parents are

There are 2 WIlliam GOLLOP's in Honiton 1841 both say born in Devon - and I believe they are  are probably related (cousins?). One is  with parents James & Charlotte and he's with them in 1851 too born in Honiton, , and I believe this William he went on to marry a Mary Underdown and is in Census thru with her.

The other one is this:--

1841: Homiton, Devon - Hundred of Axminster
REF: HO107/200/20, Fol 5 - Pg4
ADDRESS: Crown & Sceptre Court
//
Ester GOLLOP 65, Lace Maker - N
Ann GOLLOP 30 Lace Maker - Y
Temperance GOLLOP 30 Lace Maker - Y
Henry GOLLOP 11, Shoe Maker - Y
/
William GOLLOP 4 - Y
Mary DRAKE 15 Lace Maker Y
//

the / & // marks denote they were in the same house and in this case I would have thought,  that the first 4 were nuclear mother and daughters, with Henry being the son of one of the 2 younger women) and the other 2 chd were not so nuclear  ie possibly grandchildren who parent(s) are not in the house? The IGI lists 2 children to Esther and Edward GOLLOP: Edward and Temperance. No Ann.

Of course the William in 1841 with Ester  may not even have been born Honiton, but I  can't find evidence of a second William GOLLOP born Honiton circa 1837 on any Census other than the son of Henry & Charlotte.........

This website:
 http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg49.htm
Talks of an Ann GOLLOP who went on to marry William E MADDOCK. - indicates Temperance was Ann's sister and Henry was probably Temperance's son.
In 1851 they are all together in Devon.. In 1861 Henry GOLLOP, a Bootmaker,  is married to a Mahala with children, one of whom is named Ester.

This researcher then goes on, it appears, to list a  James GOLLOP b 1811  and Mary,  of Honiton -  he does not list an Ann as a daughter but he does note that James & Mary and their family live on Crown & Sceptre court in 1841, the same as Ann does ( we know, with Ester).

He also then lists James and Charlotte GOLLOP, the parents of the other William I found in 1841 Honiton.
He also then states Ann GOLLOP was the daughter of Esther.
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg46.htm#1626
and that Ester's husband was Edward:
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/watsondatabase/aqwg46.htm#1627
He then lists children of Esther & Edward as Ann, Temperance, Henry and WIlliam - but patenly wrong I beleive, in the last two - Ester would have been too old to give birth to them herself (besides which he elsewhere states Henry is a nephew of Ann, not a brother).

It may be worth contacting the website owner to see what more he may have on these GOLLOP's - ie: on the Esther & Edward GOLLOP and their son Edward....
Email link for them is on home page here:
http://au.geocities.com/rjwatson1926/

Cheers
AMBLY
gollop, nottage,bourner, mills, stilwell, weatherby, heavens, hawkins, allen, may, hurst, swaine are names in my family tree
area's  devon, dorset, london, ireland