Author Topic: William GOLLOP  (Read 26782 times)

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William GOLLOP
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 10 June 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
HI  The only thing I have on a middle name is Grandmas one brother was named James Gollop the other was John and dads middle name was James don't know if that was for King James or something else. Have to go back through the 100+ pages I have on that very interesting Cheers  al b
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline pamzilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 11 June 10 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi al B
Yes I belong to the family with temperence gollop...she is my 5th grandmother and her parents ester and edward are my 6th grandparents...but I don't know anything before that...I have a picture of their home in honiton on 37 high st.
The gollops can trace their ancestry back to 1465 when they arrived in England from either Scotland or Scandanavia and fought as soldiers of fortune for Edward IV, they did so well that John was given the  heiress Alice Temple in marriage and so inherited a large part of Devon. The family continued to prosper and the line descended unbroken to the present day. Although we can assume we are descended from the original John Gollop it is difficult to ascertain where our part of the family branches off.
I'm trying to connect the two since edward was born in 1778, thats  300 yrs to fill that gap!
Oh if anyone wants to know...temperence had henry out of wedlock and her sister ann did indeed marry william maddock and she had a son named william and a daughter named emma. 
any help in connecting these will be great as I live in canada...I hope the photo of my cousin's in front of temperence's house uploads okay.

Thanks again Al b
gollop, nottage,bourner, mills, stilwell, weatherby, heavens, hawkins, allen, may, hurst, swaine are names in my family tree
area's  devon, dorset, london, ireland

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 11 June 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
HI again    Still diging lots to read My Great Great grandfather was William Gollop He was my Grandmothers father. He was killed 1893 by a rock slide while fishing I have a pic of him send me a personal message and We can swap e mail address's al b ;D

Offline pamzilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 11 June 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again

William and John  are very popular names for the Gollop family...My dad was william henry..his dad was william arthur, his dad was william henry, who was killed in ww1 and is buried in belgium (my father was named after him) and his father was william barber gollop who is the son of Henry gollop
from honiton...I don't know for sure if it was henry or william barber that made the move to battersea
from devon,  I think your william is from the dorset line but I believe they will hook up together in the preceding generations.  It's hard to find without census for the earlier year...I think we need more church records  I'm new on this site..not sure how to send you a personal message...I hit the email icon at top...see how that works
cheer pamzilla
gollop, nottage,bourner, mills, stilwell, weatherby, heavens, hawkins, allen, may, hurst, swaine are names in my family tree
area's  devon, dorset, london, ireland

Offline rgo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pamzilla,

I have been reading all of the information in your posts and I think that there is some connection to my great great grandfather Henry Gollop. He sailed to Newfoundland in 1872 from Charmouth, England with his cousin Edward Clarke. They were both stonemasons.   

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 16 February 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi Pam  Seems to me somewhere down the line I came across the name of Edward Clark going back through the hundreds of pages I Have everything that was posted

Offline GollopVictoriaH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 17 November 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My great, great, great grandmother was Sarah Clarke and her husband was Edward Gollop. I'm doing some research on my family tree for a essay I'm doing. Just wondering if I could trace someone to my family line. His first name is unknown, F. Gollop. He died on the Titanic, Born around 1884 in Southampton. His last known address was 27 Briton Street Southampton. If anyone at all knows anything about him or who his relatives are could you please let me know. Thanks so very much.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Pardon me butting in ..... it may be of no help so have a look anyway.
Roger Gollop married Elizabeth Twitchin at Andover 1640.
and
Roger GOLLOP purchased Stanbridge Manor Southampton in 1652 and was recorder of Southampton 1671-77 and MP for that borough in 1659.
Joe .... an innocent bystander
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Linda Emma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 February 16 18:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a website http://www.freshford.com/gollop that gives a lot of information of Edward and Sarah Gollop   my Great Great Grandparents  Hope this is helpful