Author Topic: William Udall - Butler in Leicestershire - but where?  (Read 5388 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
William Udall - Butler in Leicestershire - but where?
« on: Friday 12 November 04 22:56 GMT (UK) »
My great, great grandfather  Wiliam Udall in his later life was Butler to a number of well known Leicestershire families - so far I have been unable to find which. Here is his obituary from the "Atherstone News" 2nd April 1937:

"LATE MR. WM. UDALL.

Death of Well Known Atherstone Man.

The funeral took place at Atherstone on Wednesday, of Mr. William Udall aged 77, of Coleshill Street Atherstone, who died on Saturday

Mr. Udall was a well known Atherstone figure and he had been ill for some time. Before coming to Atherstone he was a butler to one or two well known Leicestershire county families.  Until illness and his age prevented him he helped at most of the large local functions including the Hunt Balls and the Atherstone Flower Show. His two sons, one of whom was at Atherstone Hall, were killed during the War.

He was grandfather of Syd and Ted Udall, the well known footballers."

If anone can give any idea of the Leicestershire homes in which her served as Butler it would be appreciated.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.