Author Topic: THOMPSONS - Beetham Milnthorpe Warton  (Read 7138 times)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMPSONS - Beetham Milnthorpe Warton
« on: Wednesday 08 November 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for birthdate and birthplace of William Thompson who married Rachel Parker on 17th May 1824 in Beatham.  He was an inn keeper  at the White Lion in Milnthorpe.  They had 9 children William 1826 , Rachel 1828, Mary 1829, Ann 1830
Eleanor 1831, Robert Parker 1833, Frances 1834 all born in Beatham and John 1837 and Stephen 1838 both born in Haversham.  Anyone connected to this family? Also anyone know if the White Lion still exists or there is a photo or illustration of it?

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thompsons Beetham Milnthorpe Warton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duckweed

The only inn I can think of in Milnthorpe is the old coaching inn, The Cross Keys, but there could also be another pub in the square in the centre of this little village.  Sorry, It's a while since I've been in the village, but you could try Kendal Tourist Information Office for more info.  You can contact them through their website

http://www.golakes.co.uk/thedms.asp?dms=13&dc=cu&venue=5053499

Beetham and Heversham are within a few miles of Milnthorpe. 

Of course, pub names change all the time, so maybe the White Lion is now called something else.

Best of luck,
Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: THOMPSONS - Beetham Milnthorpe Warton
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Duckweed,

Just wondering if you can give me a bit more background info re dates i.e. which censuses was he listed at The White Lion, when did you 'lose' him & which directories did he appear?

We may be able to work out which building it was by the occupations of the residents in  the properties either side on the censuses.

I know of 3 current pubs in Milnthorpe:

1) The previously mentionned Cross Keys at the cross-roads,

2) The Bulls Head on the east side of the road south (A6) 50 yards from the junction, and

3) The Coach & Horses, just off the east road to Crooklands, opposite the square in the centre of the village.

It is not a large village so we should be able to work it out.

Regards

Chris

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. William Thompson is put as Inn Keeper of the White Lion Inn in Milnthorpe in 1829.  I can't find him in the 1841 census and all his children are farmed out amongst relatives so I'm assuming between 1829 and 1838 (the last child I have record of is born Milnthorpe 7 July 1838) he and his wife Rachel may have died.  I haven't found an address for the Inn (street or anything) I've looked to see if any of the present inns have changed their names but haven't found any info.  William was also a farmer and came from Beetham.  It could be he had a farm alongside or nearby.  Quite a number of the Thompsons did that though several moved on to be just an innkeeper or wine merchant.   

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I've just been looking at my copy of Roger Bingham's 'The Chronicles of Milnthorpe' (pub. 1987) which is very detailed and has several refs in the index to the White Lion.  It seems to have been in Beetham Road, not far from the cross roads - presumably just to the south of where the traffic lights are today.  There are also refs in the index to the Thompson family.

There was also a family called Thompson at Waterhouse in Beetham.  I descend from Robert Thompson (died 1736).  Families in Beetham can be quite difficult to trace beyond about 1650, but I have found a couple of references in the Wilson of Dallam papers to an earlier Robert Thompson in the 17th century, if that is of interest.

frian

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the Bull's Head, then.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in any information you may have as I have found it difficult to firm up the info I have on William and his Ancestors as there are so many Williams. Anyone got any photos of the Bulls Head?

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 February 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
That's quite a substantial building. I don't think he ran it for long. I don't know if he died there. I haven't been able to find out much about him/