Author Topic: Middlesbrough - Eston area  (Read 27911 times)

Offline PeterS1001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough - Eston area
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 January 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
An old but interesting thread.

I am looking for the location of the Royal Hotel in Eston High Street.
This was run by my Great Grandfather, Michael Standley - d1888. It was run by his wife Susannah Elizabeth Standley (re-married as Susannah Horn) until at least 1911.

Any information on location or sources of pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 January 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the census and trade info it would appear that the Royal Hotel was at No. 1 North Street which would have been on the corner of North Street and the High Street. I think this was north of West Street (there are only 2 entries for North Street so this may possibly have been on the corner of the same block as the Police Station) but North Street doesn't appear on any of the maps I have. I will check if anyone I know has any more info.
More info now in my next post.

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 January 14 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Now know exactly where it was - coming from the direction of the hospital and immediately after the police station there was a turning, bit more of an alleyway than a street. This was North Street and the Royal was on that corner with the High Street, only one other building in North Street, a house next to the Royal and backing on to the grocer's shop in William Street. The regulars - and this included my grandfather - used the back entrance off North Street, others the entry off the High Street. My grandfather lived in West Street, California and this was the nearest drinking place, more of a public house than a hotel and is labelled PH on my map from the early 1900's. Grandad had his own seat which was known as John Thomas' seat and if he arrived to find someone sitting in it they were required to vacate it!!! My sister who is 88 remembers the Royal and my grandfather's daily and nightly trips there. The hotel which is labelled H on my map, opposite the Institute, was the Zetland Hotel.

Offline PeterS1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt replies. I would have been quicker to reply but my first posting failed! - my finger problem I think!

I have been able to look at the location you describe on Google maps, I am in Kent so it's not exactly local! Could you let me know where you obtained your 1900s map - I would like to purchase one. Thanks for you story about your Grandad - it brings it all alive!

My Grandfather Arnold Standley lived at the Royal Hotel with his mother and one of his brothers , Thomas, until circa 1913. Arnold married in 1913 and went to live in "Heather Lea" Jubilee Road.

Arnold was Assistant Master at Eston Council School 1904 - 1909 and Normanby Council School 1909 - 1923. See the www.http://normanbyhistorygroup.co.uk/ website for his photograph in the article "Class of 1914"

He was Headmaster of Kirkby Boys' School, Stokesely 1923 - 1926, Wilton Lazenby C.E School 1926 - 1929, South Eston Boys' School 1929 - ???? and retired as Headmaster of West Dyke Road School, Redcar in 1947.

Thomas was a Joiner and Undertaker and according to an advertisement in the Christ Church Monthly Magazine of March 1917 ran his business from "Heather Lea" and "Westwick" in Jubilee Road. Thomas was killed in WWI and is commemorated on the Eston war memorial.

I was interested in your postings regarding Grangetown. My late mother Doreen neé Boal b1914 lived at 48 Whitworth Street. Her mother ran a shop (I think they also owned the adjoining house as she often talked about an internal door). Her father, David, I believe worked for Bolckow, Vaughan & Co until their collapse in 1929.

My late father, Robert William Standley b1914 and my mother were married at Eston Parish Church on 28 October 1939.

Peter

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
My parents were married at Christ Church Eston in the 1920's & my sister born & lived there until 11(how she knew about the Royal). I was born in Grangetown. So our family is well versed in the area, I still live Middlesbrough area.
I also did an Eston project for my 2nd year of BA (went back to uni on retiring) and my dissertation was on the development of Grangetown. Reason why I have maps & census info. The map of Eston is part of one held at Teesside Archives and I had the relevant part photocopied, have found it really difficult to get one of pre 1920's Eston. One of my father's sisters lived in Jubilee Road - still exists.
Whitworth Road was the where all the shops were when Grangetown was built. It is most likely that the door to the living quarters led to an upstairs flat as there were no houses at all on Whitworth Road, only shops & hotel. It is likely that No. 48 was on the block between Vaughan and Stapylton Streets as Whitworth Road was numbered from the Bolckow Road end. Bolckow and Vaughan sold out the steelworks as a going concern. I have attached a map of the original 8 streets to give you an idea of the area - by 1914 there had been further building behind Bolckow Road and the town continued to grow for many years. The houses on the map were knocked down in the 70's 80's. Let me know if there is any further info I can help with.

Offline PeterS1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information on your background and interests in Eston and Grangetown , together with the source of the Eston map.

Eston and Grangetown  are two areas of interest to myself as my mother came from Grangetown and my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, and indeed my father all lived part of their lives in Eston. Standley is a Norfolk name with many originating from Wymondham south of Norwich, as did my Great Grandfather.

I was born and bred in Kent but have visited the Cleveland area on numerous occasions.
I am slowly going through old family photographs and documents, my mother died 2002 and my father 2010. I have some photographs from the 1920/30s I think taken in Grangetown at various locations, some are church groups. Unfortunately there is no identifying text but possibly you could assist with suggesting possible locations? This at the moment is work in progress - so in the fullness of time!

Going back to our previous correspondence I have done some further investigations into my Great Grandfather’s family in Eston and have been able to locate them in the 1881 census. I thought they were not included but eventually found they were included with the surname misspelt – the ‘d’ had been omitted and instead of Standley they were under Stanley – this happens to me regularly!

They were listed as living in Bank Lane at the “Cleveland Bay”. A bit of Googling gave me a modern picture of the public house at the junction of Bolckow and Jubilee Road. I assume
Bank Lane became Jubilee Road in 1887 or 1897 – do you have any information on this?

Michael and Susannah Stan(d)ley were living there with their four sons Robert, William, Ellis and Benjamin. In respect to Benjamin I have found an article in the “North Eastern
Daily Gazette” of Wednesday 1 August 1900 (see attached). At this time he was aged 22, married, and living in South Bank. He appears to have been killed whilst fire fighting but I have not been able to locate any further information – I wonder whether there are any local archives you know for the local Fire Brigades? Note: Mrs Horn referred to in the newspaper article is Susannah Standley who remarried after the death of Michael Standley in 1888.

Copyright image removed by Moderator

Offline PeterS1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 January 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Found some more information re Benjamin Standley. Buried St Helen’s Church Cemetery , Eston 1900. See picture of memorial and details of inscription attached. Obtained from:
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=1842&scrwidth=1280

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 February 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The churches in Grangetown were St. Matthews - Anglican, St. Mary's - R.C. and the Methodist. All located on Bolckow Road. Probably by the 1930's there was a non-conformist/Baptist chapel - I think this was on Pochin Road.

I don't know of a specific Fire Brigade archive though it is possible that there are records held at either Teesside Archives or at Central Library - the main source of all local material.

Jubilee Road was named when houses were built there and, going by the name, this must have been around the time of one of Victoria's most probably 1887 as the street housing would be completed by then. I do have the census material for that time somewhere - will get back to you if I find anything relevant.

My maternal grandmother's family moved to this area from Norfolk but this was not an unusual move as the agricultural work in Norfolk/Lincolnshire was in decline in mid 19th century and the wages in the ironstone mines and steelworks were much higher.

Offline lindasusan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 November 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
An old thread but hoping for a reply. I have noticed that Jubilee Road and Heather Lea have been mentioned here, which is interesting to me as I live in this specific house now and have since 2000. I was wondering if anyone had any further information on the house. I know by looking at the deeds that the house was built in 1908. I would love to know anything else. Thank you. - Linda