Author Topic: Jemima Beatty - Citty Derry  (Read 9129 times)

Offline chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jemima Beatty - Citty Derry
« on: Friday 10 November 06 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find the family and parents of Jemima born c1847 in Citty Derry. Her father was John Beattie a school master. Jemima obviously migrated from Ireland to NSW Australia and in March 1868 married William Hamilton in Sydney Australia. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chester

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Beatty - Citty Derry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
hello chester,can you give me any more info. is that the proper name(jemima) do you know what religon she was? by the way its derry city.

kind regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Thanks for your email. Jemima had an illegitimate son in NSW in 1867 (prior to marrying in 1868) and the birth records for this illegitimate son recorded Jemima Beatty as the mother. Unfortunately no other detail was given except that Jemima was born in Citty Derre Ireland and was 20yrs old. I only found out about her fathers name and profession from her death certificate.
Cheers
Chester

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
hello chester again, i thought you could try these. griffiths valuation-derry 1858-59. tithe applotment, and irish genealogy (this is only an index) they are all on line.
sorry thats the best i can do. but i will keep looking.

good luck mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline lipscombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Are there two Jemima Beattys who married two William Hamiltons in that year? To quote from the Sydney Herald of 20th May, 1868:

HAMILTON-BEATTY-March 2Bth, by the Rev. Dr. Bailoy, of  the Free Church of England, Mr. William Hamilton, to Jemima, daughter of Mr. Benjamin Beatty, both of Smithfield, near Parramatta.

Jemima was born in Australia (prob. 1846) and her parents were originally Scottish. Her father was transported, her mother (Jane Wells) went on assisted passage. I've traced the father back to Canongate, Dumfries and found his parents and grandparents, but earlier than that the trail runs cold. There's a full transcript of the father's trial at the Old Bailey available on-line.

I suspect that the Jemima Beatty you've found is a separate Jemima Beatty, but it doesn't sound like the one who married William Hamilton in 1868. I've been looking through a lot of the Sydney newspapers of this period and the Beatty (or Beattie - the two get used interchangeably, even for the same individual) surname is very common. Jemima isn't all that unusual a name in the 19th century (and to confuse matters, could also be used as a nickname, so the birth certificate might not register it) so it's entirely possible that there were two or more Jemima Beattys in a city the size of Sydney.

Offline chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your comments.
My investigation has found that Jemima Beatty paid 3 pound 9 shillings and 6 pence on 31/12/1865 to emigrate to Queensland. Jemima was from Portadown and she came out to Queensland on the "Light of the Age".
The "Mariners Records"indicate that the "Florence Irving"departed from Brisbane to Sydney on 13 June 1867 and the 2 passengers of interest on this ship were Jemima Beatty and Sarah Beatty. Is Sarah , Jemima's sister who had previously emigrated to Brisbane and because Jemima was pregnant, decided to go with her sister to Sydney? Jemima would have been heavily pregnant at this time, as she had a son William John born on 18 July 1867 at Dog Trap Rd (Woodville Rd) Parramatta NSW. On her sons birth certificate, there are no fathers details. Jemima's age was 20 yrs and place of birth was "Citty Derre, Ireland". The marriage cert I have for Jemima and a William Hamilton was dated 28/3/1868, spinster & bachelor & both from living at Smithfield near Parramatta. I think I assumed that this date appeared to be correct. Information from my late mother revealed that William Hamilton (snr) worked on the railways. Jemima's son, William John obviously adopted his step fathers surname, "Hamilton".
Jemima and William Hamilton appears to have had 10 children commencing 1870.
 Now that you have mentioned it, possibly there were two Jemima and william Hamiltons, although it is rather confusing. Do you have any further thoughts?
Chester.

Offline lipscombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
This is getting more confusing!

Quick answer for the moment. There is no NSW birth record of a Benjamin Beattie (or Beatty) having a daughter called Jemima. However, there are records of a Benjamin Beattie and Jane having three daughters: Georgiana (b. 1834), a Jane E (born 1846) and a Georgina (b 1854).

I think we can take it as read that a marriage took place on March 28th, 1868 between a William Hamilton and a Jemima Beattie.

There are two obvious explanations:

1. Jane E Beattie (b 1846) and Jemima Beattie are the same woman. This fits the NSW records and the newspaper announcement. BUT: can we accept that Jane E was also known as Jemima?

2. 'Irish Jemima' and Jemima Beattie are the same woman. BUT: why is she described in the newspaper announcement as the daughter of Benjamin Beattie, because clearly she isn't? Did Benjamin take pity on her and adopt her? This is not as impossible as it first sounds.

Must go to a meeting now - I will think more on this and I hope write later today.  Incidentally, I can tell you a shedload about the Hamiltons as I'm descended from Alfred Hamilton (one of William's kids).

Offline lipscombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Did a bit more checking up - we can forget the idea that Benjamin adopted Irish Jemima, because he'd died eight years earlier in 1860!

Also, looking at the dates, Irish Jemima must have been pregnant before setting out for Australia. So this makes it very unlikely that William Hamilton was the father and the naming of the child as William John is pure coincidence (and bear in mind also these are very common names, so it's not all that big a coincidence).

I also doubt if the Beatties in Australia would claim Irish Jemima with a child born out of wedlock as their daughter and then announce this in a newspaper marriage announcement. Sydney at that time was still a relatively small (so everyone knew everyone else) and with a fairly conservative and 'respectable' middle class - I seriously doubt if folks would have tolerated such a thing. Therefore, I think that when Jemima is announced in the wedding announcement as the daughter of Benjamin Beattie she really is the biological and legitimate daughter of Benjamin Beattie.

Thus, I think on the balance of things that Irish Jemima is not the spouse of William Hamilton. Instead, the spouse is Jane E Beattie, who for reasons now lost, decided to call herself Jemima (this isn't all that odd a thing - e.g. one of my other ancestors was born Vivienne Irene, but always seems to have called herself Brightie). All that is required to fit the evidence (the formal NSW records, the newspaper announcement, etc) is that Jane E Beattie later called herself Jemima. And as I've just said, this isn't all that odd a thing to do.

My hunch on what happened to Irish Jemima is this. She got pregnant in Ireland. To avoid scandal, her father packed her off to Australia to have the child. There are a LOT of Beatties in Sydney at this time, and it's not impossible that there was a close relative out there. Jemima was met by Sarah on the last leg of the journey and they went to Sydney where William John was born. Irish Jemimah then went back to Ireland or otherwise simply disappeared off the radar. I think she quite possibly went back to Ireland and the child was adopted, possibly by a relative. Indeed, it's not impossible that 'our' Beatties were the adopting family. I've a shrewd suspicion that as Benjamin and others prospered, other family members were invited to come and live in Australia. There's the occasional mention in the Sydney Morning Herald about the death of a Beattie, 'late of Dumfries' (i.e. where Benjamin Beattie was born), which tends to support this idea.

Incidentally, absolutely the only marriage of a Jemima Beatty (or Beattie) I can find in NSW is the one to William Hamilton.

If this sounds plausible, I can gladly send you what I know about Jane E Beattie (and more particularly her father, who makes for interesting reading).

Offline chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Your comments are very interesting and sound plausable. You may contact me at
(*) as I would like to further explore ideas with you on this one.
Thanks for your input
Chester  :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php