Author Topic: Newspaper court clippings????  (Read 2045 times)

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newspaper court clippings????
« on: Friday 10 November 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me or steer me in the right direction. I have found the death of my gggg-grandfather and on the certificate it states that he died of an accidental drowning - verdict of jury. He died on the 25th of December 1862 at Longernong Station VIC. His name was Donald Mctavish, he was a shepherd and 49 when he died.

I just wanted to know where I could find out more info on his death as it looks like this case went to a court (maybe Horsham as that is the district he died?)?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanx
Andrea  ;D
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper court clippings????
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 06 14:12 GMT (UK) »
It was most likley written up in the newspapers of the day, and also the inquest would have a write up too (an inquest was held before a jury who determined the cause of death from the evidence presented - not necessarily held in a court house, could be held at  the local pub)

The Public Record Office in North Melbourne have  the actual inquest documents.   They can only be accessed by a person, not by mail.  It is quite scary handling a document that hasn't been opened since filed 130 years previously!

I suggest you put up another post - with the heading 'Victoria Inquest index lookup' - and post the details, and collect the reference number needed.  This will also oone way to see if there are any records on file, sometimes it might only be an  enquiry on a local level and no actual paperwork has been lodged with Melbourne. 

Are you able to go to PROV yourself at any time?  I usually get there only once a year, around Dec/Jan. 

Inquests can have a lot of lovely info - or only be a few pages.  Any witnesses give quite detailed statements.

ChristineR

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper court clippings????
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks for the info - it is most helpful. I will not be able to get to PROV as I am in Scotland at the moment for atleast the next 6 months! It is alright I might be able to get somebody from home to go for me.

I will take you advice and put up another post requesting a look up. I wish I could go myself I would love to be able to see the actual documents.

Thanx
Andrea ;D
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,