Author Topic: The Gordon Family  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The Gordon Family
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 20:49 GMT (UK) »
A relative compiled a Gordon Family Tree back to 1640 back in 1999. It's quite impressive, but lacks detail such as places of birth/death.

My great grandfather, Charles Wood Gordon was born 10/10/1869 and died 4/12/1910. He married Florence Campbell Cunningham, dates unknown. They had Phyllis Gordon 2/5/1888-1942, Adrian Gordon who died 1917, Kenneth Gordon (my grandfather) 1893-1965 and Victor Gordon 1892-1918.

Charles Wood Gordon owned Robert Gordon & Company and when he died he left his shipping business, the Gordon Steam Shipping Company Ltd & Unison Steam Shipping Company to Kenneth, Adrian & Victor. One of their ships, the 'Emmy Haase' was discovered at the bottom of the Baltic a few years ago and its discovery was the subject of a BBC documentary.

I've had a go at trying to tidy up this family tree without much success. Can anyone throw any light on any of my relations please?
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Gordon Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Archivist,

In order to know your family, you are going to have to work backwards, generation by generation.  All of us here at Rootschat are very helpful and are willing to do lookups but you must start by giving us something to work with by asking direct questions as to what you are looking for. 

This is the reference you will need in order to order a marriage certificate for your great grandfather, Charles Wood Gordon who married Florence Campbell Cunningham:

Name: Charles Wood Gordon
Year of Registration: 1883 
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 
District: Barnet 
County: London 
Volume: 3a 
Page: 287 

I don't know how much information you have other than the printout of your family tree.  Telling us what you know by what documents you hold will help us with your research.  Census data is really helpful as you can pinpoint children that may have died or just the general movement of the family in order to look up births, deaths or marriages.  Together, we can fill in those blanks for you.   :)

Nancy
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England

Offline Inchberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
I am researching for a friend who is a great-grand-daughter of Charles Wood Gordon (grand-daughter of Adrian Gordon). She is not in touch with Gordon relations but would very much like to be - can we make contact on this?  She does not have her own internet access.

Inchberry

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, put her/him in touch.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 December 07 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear Inchberry,

We seem to have lost touch. Can we resume contact in the New Year please?
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Adrian Charles Gordon
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Inch berry,

New information has been imparted to me on this fellow, my grand uncle. Please contact me if your correspondent is still looking for a Gordon connection.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill

Offline willowsholme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschat,

This is my first posting on this site. I found you because I have just started researching the Gordon family too. I am the great-granddaughter of Charles Wood and granddaughter of Victor Frederick "Billy" 1891-1918.

I am aware of Phyllis, Adrian and Victor but am delighted to learn of Kenneth who did not appear on the 1911 Census.

So far I have only got back to 1750 and hit a brick wall so am wondering if I am on the right track!

Looking forward, I have little to no information as my farther's father VF died in 1918 a few months before his son (also VF) was born.

Looking for any information to help me on my way.

Thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
I note there have been no comments re. dates in opening post - Charles Wood Gordon was born in 1859 (not 1869) and died in 1919 (not 1910).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 16 23:07 BST (UK) »
The incorrect dates are noted and have been amended. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill