Author Topic: Cardwell in Marton Blackpool  (Read 11625 times)

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cardwell in Marton Blackpool
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 September 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
Tess

This may sound like a weird question - is she later known as Elizabeth or Betty.

I would suspect that due to the time frame she more than likely is not in the tree - though I have yet to get all the branches sorted out from the earliest dates that I have.

By this time, 1810 - 1820 ish those people living in Marton were going to and were members of St Pauls Parish Church in Marton (consecrated in 1800)   Before the early 1800's all the Moss population went to St Chads in Poulton as that was the parish for the area at that time. (by foot - some mileage!!). 

I do have a couple of Betty's with no definite date in the 1830's but I suspect later in the decade than you are looking for.

Oh and the weird question - here is the reason.  The naming pattern seems to be Betty in the parish church C of E, St Chads and Elizabeth in the RC church - St Johns the only Roman Catholic Church in the area at the time.

If i can be further help just holla!

M

Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 September 07 00:23 BST (UK) »
ELizabeth may well be on one of the lines not had chance to look at yet.

I have had a look at her siblings names and they look too familiar - the family used a small name dictionary I am sure,  5 for the lads and 5 for the gals nearly every generation!

Will have chance to have a look into it later in the week.

Till then

M

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 September 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I only have her name with her husband Thomas Jenkinson.So I don't really know anything more. Thanks for getting back to me
Tess

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
I have had a chance to look up various bits n bobs and there is more than likely a link to another line of the family back in the 1780's.

Elizabeth Cardwell Married Thomas Jenkinson in Garstang in Sept quarter of 1851.  Vol 21 page 353.  The only definite record I can find apart from census entry in 1881.

So she must be on census records as a Cardwell 1841 and 1851.  At present I do not have access to those.  However, if SKS would like to have a look I wont object! 

Elizabeth's parents according to the IGI entry were Robert and Betty Cardwell and she was baptised at Poulton (more than likely St Pauls Marton which is recorded as Poulton) 10th April 1831.

This is now where it starts getty fuzzy just due to the sheer numbers of Cardwells around! 

A Robert Cardwell is noted in the IGI as marrying a one Betty Atkinson in 1808 and a Betty Atkinson is baptised at Poulton daughter of Roger Atkinson in 1788.  That would sit nicely with a supposed baptism in 1784 of a Robert Cardwell.  The entry is not directly from the parish records and so they will need verifying.

This Robert if the details are correct, would also sit nicely as being a potential son to a Robert and Betty Cardwell too.  And that is the  possible link. 

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that info.and now I know Elizabeth Cardwell's parents.
Kindest regards. Tess

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am connected to a Thomas Cardwell husbandman of the Parish of Marton born around 1702 married a Rebecca Rossall on the 29/6/1728 St. Chad Poulton-Le-Flyde. His son Robert Cardwell also from Marton Parish, anyone familiar with this family. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\