Author Topic: Fothergills of Mallerstang.  (Read 27749 times)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Fothergills of Mallerstang.
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching Fothergills of Mallerstang, Westmorland?  I'm trying see if there is a connection before 1841 to the Fothergills of Ravenstondale, Westmorland, the places are so close, I feel there must be one.

Can anyone help?
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline betty_boouk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fothergills of Mallerstang.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a John Fothergill born 5 Oct 1794 in Mallerstrang.  His parents were James Fothergill and Elizabeth Hutchinson.  He had children as follows
James b 1823
Elizabeth b 1825
Margaret b 1832
John Ralph b 1834
Jane b 1837 and
Margaret Jane b 1852

I also have 5 more generations of Fothergills going back to 1622

regards
Jane
Cumberland - Cook
Durham - Thomas, Meeks
Lincolnshire - Dudley, Toynbee
Leicestershire - Dudley, Bloodowrth, Hill, Hollingsworth
Staffordshire - Thomas
Westmoreland - Wills

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I think my John Fothergill was born 1791, but I only have the 1851 census to go by, as he died just before the 1861 census taken on 7th April..... I'm having trouble deciding which are his parents.

I can find a three lots of parents, Thomas and Elizabeth Morland, William and Jennett Hutchinson,  had a John in 1789.......James and Francis Dent had a John in 1793 (but their child was baptised John Dent Fothergill)
None of them were 1791

Thanks for replying
Fay

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 04:54 GMT (UK) »
HI:

I have:

John Dent FOTHERGILL (M)..............  C: 19 Jan 1793 of Birk Rigg         
  Father: James FOTHERGILL                 Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland,
  Mother: Frances DENT                     England

Is this your subject? 

Best regards,

Ron Long

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
That's great Ron.

I chose John Dent Fothergill because his first two children are named James and Frances ...... the same names as his parents.

If you have a different family for John Dent Fothergill .... that throws my theory out of the window and I'll have to start again.

At least it means I have eliminated one of the John Fothergills born in Mallerstang around that time.

Can you tell me which is his family, as I can't find a John fothergill with 'Dent' in the middle on the census, a death or a marriage.?

Thankyou for replying Ron ..... I'm maybe getting somewhere.

Jean

Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean:

I think thqat I picked up rhe "DENT" in the name from the parish register.  It's typical that it gets dropped in later references.

The family sheet that I have looks like:

The system didn't like the length of my family page ...please contact me directly.

I can't verify the match by your description of John Dent Fothergill's family for I don't have it.  The above list includes his parents and siblings as I have it.  Does it seem to fit for you.

If this still looks like a match, it might  be worth while to switch to a direct e-mail for data.  You can reach me at rweblong AT att.net

Best Regards,

Ron Long
Moderator comment: email amended in accordance with rootschat policy.  Please use the personal message system.

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
HI:

I have his birth at 1793 at Birk Rigg in Mallerstang.  He was the son of James Fothergill and Frances Dent.  His full name at birth was John Dent Fothergill.

Ron Long  rweblong @att.net

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 08 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron ....... have you just sent this message, or has it taken two weeks to appear.!!!!!

John Dent's baptism in 1793 is on LDS  ........ my problem was ...... I wasn't sure if John Dent was the one I was looking for...... but after following 'the other' John fothergills, (especially the James and Elizabeth Hutchinson's child) who were baptised around the same time ...... I think you're probably right.

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 08 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

In Richard Fothergill's "The Fothergills - A First History" he writes:

"Many Fothergills lived in Mallerstang, almost certainly migrating over Wild Boar Fell into the valley. It is probable that the early residents would have been younger sons who would not inherit the tenancy of their parent's farm, but who had sufficient determination to develop a new piece of land in their own right."

I don't know whether or not you know the geography of the area but in case you don't Wild Boar Fell is between Ravenstonedale and Mallerstang.

He then has about 64 A4 pages about the Fothergills in Mallerstang with quite a few family trees but I've had a quick look and can't see your John Fothergill.

This book was followed by "A Second Family History" in which Richard Fothergill published his further research along with information that came from other Fothergill members after the first book was published.

I think you would find www.ravenstonedale.org intersting but then you probably know all about it already.

Good luck with your hunting
Brie