Author Topic: Fothergills of Mallerstang.  (Read 27747 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Fothergills of Mallerstang.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 August 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
hi Tommi , now the excuses . i have stripped my house as I am carpetting and everything is in garage and my hard drive is in shop and i am on lap top which doesn't carry any info, If you put up three posts i will be able to private message you with some info in the next week. In meantime . the fothergills i mention were in the ravenstonedale area and the letters were from the ravenstonedale family history group. They have now gone on line and i think you will get them thru google . otherwise i will send you address when my computer is up and running . the second place is the Kendal archive s. I went there and they have so much Fothergill info mation i was unable to gather it as I am only fractionally related to them thru marriage and I didn't want to get too far off track . Hope I hear from you because it does sound promising with these letters i have here tho for some reason I thought it was a women writing
 i did send them to Ronald Long so if you feel like being a detective you maybe able to contact him .
 Thanks Fred,
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 August 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan & Tommi,

If you can't get in touch with Ron, I have the letters from Mary Fothergill of Brownber Cottage, they are to a Miss Isabel and her sister in 1909......you kindly sent me the letters Jan.

There is no mention of anybody called Michael but they may throw some light on your Yorkshire Fothergill branch of the family..... and they are lovely to read .... very interesting and so many people mentioned. 

It just shows that the Fothergills were interested in their ancestors so many years ago.

As Jan says Tommi ..... you will have to make a few more posts before you can receive private messages....... then I can send them to you
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 August 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tommi and welcome to rootschat.

Do you know which Yorkshire branch your family was from? I have some details for a few Yorkshire Fothergill families.

Brie

Offline drtommi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Brie,

My line is from the Newcastle branch 'B', in Richard Fothergill's Second History book.  My earliest known ancestor is Michael Fothergill, b. 1763 at Reeth, Yorkshire, d. 1837 Stannington, Northumberland.  In 1784 he married a Hannah Law in Durham.

Any info would be great!  Although I've got most of the detail from Michael on down to me from census and BMDs.  Any photographs or other info (overseas travel etc) would be good if you know of any, or anything earlier than 1763 that could link us to another line.  Genetically, my line is distinct from the Ravonstonedale line by Y chromosomal DNA, although similar to a Featheringill (USA) branch that came off maybe a couple generations before Michael b.1763.

Thanks,
Tom.

Offline drtommi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
hi Tommi , now the excuses . i have stripped my house as I am carpetting and everything is in garage and my hard drive is in shop and i am on lap top which doesn't carry any info, If you put up three posts i will be able to private message you with some info in the next week. In meantime . the fothergills i mention were in the ravenstonedale area and the letters were from the ravenstonedale family history group. They have now gone on line and i think you will get them thru google . otherwise i will send you address when my computer is up and running . the second place is the Kendal archive s. I went there and they have so much Fothergill info mation i was unable to gather it as I am only fractionally related to them thru marriage and I didn't want to get too far off track . Hope I hear from you because it does sound promising with these letters i have here tho for some reason I thought it was a women writing
 i did send them to Ronald Long so if you feel like being a detective you maybe able to contact him .
 Thanks Fred,

Thanks for the info... I'll reply to both of these posts and hopefully that'll allow me to pm! :)

Offline drtommi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan & Tommi,

If you can't get in touch with Ron, I have the letters from Mary Fothergill of Brownber Cottage, they are to a Miss Isabel and her sister in 1909......you kindly sent me the letters Jan.

There is no mention of anybody called Michael but they may throw some light on your Yorkshire Fothergill branch of the family..... and they are lovely to read .... very interesting and so many people mentioned. 

It just shows that the Fothergills were interested in their ancestors so many years ago.

As Jan says Tommi ..... you will have to make a few more posts before you can receive private messages....... then I can send them to you
Jean

Hi Jean,
I'd love to read the letters to see if there may be a connection to my line.. please send them through whenever you can! :)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

The Fothergill information I have comes from Richard Fothergill's books so it sounds as if you already know about that. I do however have material to do with Ravenstonedale/Mallerstang and bits of Yorkshire etc and will keep your branch in mind when I am looking at it. Sorry I wasn't able to help further at this stage.

Brie

Offline drtommi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Brie,

Actually, what might be handy for me is if you have any old maps of the region from around the 1700s or earlier?

Thanks,
Tom.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

An excellent site for early maps of the area can be found here.

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/

Brie