Author Topic: Fothergills of Mallerstang.  (Read 27746 times)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Fothergills of Mallerstang.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Brie,

Richard Fothergill's books sound interesting ....... I've heard all about them but not read them ....... think they'll be on my next christmas present list.

I've been in email contact with Ron Long who has been immeasurably helpful with his information on the Fothergill families. 

I do know the area but not in great detail.

'My' John Fothergill was living in the Lake District in 1841 and the problem was finding the right parents ..... quite a few 'Johns' were baptised in Mallerstang, around the same time.  Thanks to Ron, I now think 'my' John was baptised John Dent Fothergill ...... although he dropped the 'Dent'.

I left the thread open, just in case any more information, like yours, came along. There seems to be more Fothergill families in Ravenstonedale than over the Fell in the Mallerstang Valley ..... Nateby and Kirby Stephen. .... not far away but connecting them is difficult.

Thank you again for your interest.
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 November 08 01:58 GMT (UK) »
hi , I am a Wharton from Kirby Stephan but in 2005 i went to ravenstonedale to look for info on my Wharton's in that area as well. at this time i think i copied some letters to a miss Isobel.?? ... stupidly i have not put her reference to me but they are from a M. Fothergill. they are dated 1909 and are absolutely full of fothergill history . to quote " i feel certain there has been a very near connection and great friendliness between the York F.gills and the brownber ones . The Carr end fgills. said they exchanged from Mallerstrang the last fgill in mallestrang died about ten years since and they owned their farm for more than 300 years. castlewaite by name ,yet they always said they sprung from r.stonedale "
Are you interested in me scanning these letters to you . Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 November 08 02:31 GMT (UK) »
HI:

I descend from the Birk Rigg Fothergills and started my research with a family legend that our Fothergills were "of Carr End".  I did enough research on that branch to respect their history and develop an interest in the other Fothergills.

I've transcribed a stack of letters from the Dinsdales to their American relatives and found it facinating.  I would be VERY interested in receiving a copy of the Fothergill letters that you refer to in whatever form you make them available.

Best Regards,

Ron Long
Fullerton, CA
rweblong AT att.net   
Moderator comment - email amended in accordance with rootschat policy in order to avoid spammers

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 November 08 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan and hello again Ron......the letters sound fascinating Jan.  I managed to get letters from Kendal Record Office for another branch of my family in Westmorland and they held a great deal of information.

I have PM'd you an email address if you have time to send a copy.

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline coz60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    do you have a Thomas Dent fothergill born to these same parents.
                   regards
                       coreen

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Coreen....I have three Thomas fothergills, one born 1746, one 1808 and one 1842 but none of them appear to have 'Dent' as a second name.

Do you have a birth or baptism date or a marriage for thomas?

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline coz60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi jean,
          No I don`t have any certificates for him,He actually shows up on my great grandfather John Brownrig`s  marriage certificate as  father of John Brownrigg.
           Haven't got the date of John Brownrig`s wedding at hand but think it was around 1867.
                 Thomas Dent Fothergill`s occupation was down as it looks like Statesman,but could be stylesman.
              What is weird is that he doesn't show up on John Brownriggs Birth certificate 1839,so I assume John was his illegitimate son,as john`s mother is down as Margaret Brownrigg. They were from morland,Westmorland.
         I know Margaret Brownrigg was born around 1818 in Morland,so maybe this Thomas Dent Fothergill was around that era,but then again he could have been older,I mean it wasn`t unheard of for girls to get pregnant to the masters they worked for was it,just another theory  ???.
        I wonder if anyone has access to the baptism records of Morland church,would love to know if Thomas Fothergill is mentioned on John`s Baptism records.
                             Best Regards
                                   Coreen

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I remember now that we've talked before Coreen.

I remember because John Fothergill married Anne Brownrigg at Greystoke, Cumberland in 1829 - he was an innkeeper living in Springfield.  Anne must have died before 1836 because John remarried.

I haven't found any children for them in the short time they were married, so maybe all this has something to do with their relationship. ... although that would be around the 1820s.

I'm sure I've seen Morland baptisms somewhere online .... I'll have a look around.

Jean
Ar yes....they're on the Cumberland & Westmorland Archives but they're too early for what you want.
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline drtommi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 August 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi , I am a Wharton from Kirby Stephan but in 2005 i went to ravenstonedale to look for info on my Wharton's in that area as well. at this time i think i copied some letters to a miss Isobel.?? ... stupidly i have not put her reference to me but they are from a M. Fothergill. they are dated 1909 and are absolutely full of fothergill history . to quote " i feel certain there has been a very near connection and great friendliness between the York F.gills and the brownber ones . The Carr end fgills. said they exchanged from Mallerstrang the last fgill in mallestrang died about ten years since and they owned their farm for more than 300 years. castlewaite by name ,yet they always said they sprung from r.stonedale "
Are you interested in me scanning these letters to you . Jan

Sorry this is bringing up an old post.. but in my tree I have a Michael Fothergill, b.1840 Liverpool d.1920 and decends from Michaels that lived around the Yorkshire dales.  He had a daughter, Isabella, and a wife also Isabella.  Just wondering if there might be a connection?  There seems to be relatively few M. Fothergills, and my line contain the only Michael Fothergills that I've come across.