Author Topic: Help with WW1 Uniform - COuld be long shot  (Read 3373 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Help with WW1 Uniform - COuld be long shot
« on: Monday 13 November 06 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My father and I believe that the gentleman in the attached photograph is my great grandfather.  He died in 1929 from bronchopneumonia / cerebral heamorrhage - possibly linked to mustard gas exposure during WW1.  We know very little about him as he was never spoken of by his children (am still trying to work out why!), all of whom have now passed on.

I'd love to try and track down info on his WW1 service for my father but will not be able to get down to the National Archives until next year.  I know the photograph shows very little but wondered if anyone could tell me if there is anything distinctive relating to his uniform that could help me track which regiment he served with.  He was from Whitehaven so chances are it will have been a Cumbrian / Lancashire regiment.

I appreciate this is a very long shot but would be grateful for any advice or pointers to good websites etc that could help me. I've attached a enlargement of the very fuzzy badge on his shoulder.

Thanks

Sue
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WW1 Uniform - COuld be long shot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,what was your great grandad called,as this may help identify his regiment.
                              Wizz
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wizz

His full name was John Parmenly Watson - if you include his middle name then it is fairly unique, but without it..... 

From the searching I have been doing I think that he is likely to have joined the Kings Own Border Regiment - most men from his area did so. 

I have searched the medal rolls at the NA and come up with a potential match, but of course they only list middle initial rather than anything further, and the number of plain John Watson's is pretty high!

All or any help / suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Sue

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
is it possible for someone to blow up his shoulder title a bit more,it looks like it begins with A,so this could be john,a watson.
pte john,a watson
argyll and sutherland highlanders
S-19368.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Try the website www.cwgc.org/default.asp
  Then just type in the deatils that you know.
  Happy hunting,Merry Christmas.
                 WIZZ
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 December 06 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wizz & Mack

I have his birth and death certificates so I know he was definately John P Watson.  He died after the war so there isn't anything listed on the CWG site.

If the shoulder title looks like it is John something Watson it will be a P and it confirms this is my man.

Sue

Offline Tom McC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Can't be Argylls as their shoulder title was a straight A&SH, hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wizz & Mack

I have his birth and death certificates so I know he was definately John P Watson.  He died after the war so there isn't anything listed on the CWG site.

If the shoulder title looks like it is John something Watson it will be a P and it confirms this is my man.

Sue

Sue - Perhaps a bit at cross purposes here. This is the British Army and names did not appear on the shoulders. It would be a unit badge of some sort, not a name.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Managed to track him down in the Medal Rolls. He was in the Border Regiment and then the Royal Engineers  :)