Author Topic: Where is Liscombe?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
Where is Liscombe?
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace a Mrs Mary E Crook born 1826, who says she was born in Liscombe, Cheshire on one census and in Liverpool, Lancashire in the next one. I have no hope of trying to trace what her maiden name was as I have no idea what registration districts etc Liscombe comes under.

Any help would be great thanks.

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Liscombe?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
According to www.genuki.org there's a place called Liscard, Cheshire, 2.8 miles from Liverpool, comes under Wallasey district I think  ???
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, if Liscard is correct, from 1837-1861 it comes under Wirral, then from 1861-1912 it's Birkenhead, 1912- Wallasey

I see in 1861 she's married to Joseph Crook, have you tried freebmd looking for a marriage between Joseph Crook and Mary?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I think the Place you may be looking for is Seacombe .. i have a couple of ancestors who come from there and it is transcribed as Liscombe

Hope this helps in some way

Regards

Iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Is that Poulton cum Seacombe?  If so, it also comes under Wirral registration district according to genuki

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for trying to help me.

Yeah I've looked for a bmd but not being rude, there are tons of Crooks in Cheshire  ;D

The reason why I want to find out more about this lady is because she has a 5yr old girl Matilda Matthews living with her, who later becomes my great grandfathers sister in law... and I have a big gut feeling she is going to be related to the family already, this is why.

In 1861 Susan Bailey is a servant in Enfeild in the Downing household and I believe her mother to be Elizabeth Jones Downing. But I cant find anything out about Elizabeth except that Susan was born in Cheshter, Cheshire in 1836 and that Elizabeth married Edward Bailey in St.Oswald's, Chester in 1832. In 1866 Susan Bailey married my great grandfather Thomas Oakman.

Now in 1871 Matilda Matthews is a servant in the Downing household and the same year she married Thomas's brother John Oakman. Now Matilda says she was born in Wapping and I find her at 5yrs old in a household where the lady says she's from Cheshire.

Now I've just found in 1861 she is a servant in Brighton with James and Martha Matthews but their place of births don't agree with the records. I've found a couple in Wales that fit the bill, but they have 75acres of land and employ 4 labs and have house servants of the surname Jones....

I know I'm clutching at straws but I just cant find them anywhere else, if it is them I wonder what happened to all their land.

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Best to stick with what you know, and not try to make the facts fit what you'd like them to be - that can lead you down a lot of wrong paths (I should know, I've been down some) ;) 
When you say James & Martha Matthews places of birth don't agree with the records, which records do you mean?

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 November 06 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan
I have been trying to unjumble your place names ;D,I can only cope with one person and place name at a time ;D ;D

Now I've just found in 1861 she is a servant in Brighton with James and Martha Matthews but their place of births don't agree with the records
Most of your ancestors appear in Cheshire.Then one pops up in Brighton.Brigton is in the south of England. Not in Cheshire, unless you mean New Brighton which is in Wallasey in Cheshire as are Liscard and Seacome and many other places. which are all in the Wirral.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 November 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
According to www.genuki.org there's a place called Liscard, Cheshire, 2.8 miles from Liverpool, comes under Wallasey district I think  From Ecneps

with the River Mersey in-be-tween ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885