Author Topic: Granelli in Macclesfield  (Read 24196 times)

Offline juliawilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Granelli in Macclesfield
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina
Apologies for the delay, I have been very busy with a new baby!  If you send me your private email address I shall scan in and send you a copy of the photo that my uncle has.
kind regards
Julia

Offline momos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia,

I saw the message regarding the Granelli in Macclesfield. 

I have had a look at some of Doug Pickford's books on Macclesfield and found a photo of a Mr Granelli in his ice cream cart around the 1930s in the Spirit of Macclesfield.  I wondered if you had seen the photo already?

regards
J

Offline srm0119

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Julia Williams
Hello to a distant cousin.
Julia we too have just connected our family to the Granelli family in two generations.  Angelina Oliva married Fortunato Granelli and her niece Maria Veronica Corroto married Angelo Granelli.   We are decendents of Angelina's brother Emanuel who emmigrated to America at 15 yrs old.  Our questions lie with their mother Maria Devote Oliva who married Giovanni Oliva  (may be Devoti or other variation).  We know the Granelli's and Devoti's are also related by marriage and I am wondering if our Maria may fit in with your Guido Devoti family.   I know your Madelina is Maria Veronica Corroto's daughter.   

Do you have any ancestry beyond Guido (his parents etc) and where they were from in Italy.  I have heard the Oliva's are from Lavagna.   I write to you from Michigan in USA.  We have a relative in UK doing some wonderful work and met the Granelli family.  Any help would be wonderful.
Sue
OLIVA/Oliver  Lancashire, England/Italy
DIVOTE  Lancashire, England/Italy
ROGERS New York, Ohio and Michigan USA
DURNING Detroit, MI USA/Ireland
HAYES USA dating to George of Windsor, CT 1650's
MURPHY USA/Ireland
MOORMAN Cincinnati, OH USA/Germany
VOSS Cincinnati, OHUSA/Germany
GARRITY Ionia, MI USA/Canada/Ireland
GRANELLI Macclesfield, England

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 March 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
there is a familytree on geneanet.org

put in on homepage
surname    granelli
place   leave  blank 

page 2 the 9th name down
Granelli   1819       Borgo Val Di Taro, Italy  is this the same as your family ?

...if so , click on the green tree to the right of the name and the trees owners e-mail address and home address is there.....and her home address in France....she speaks English / Italian and French and she was online on geneanet yesterday.....good luck...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline juliawilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue

It is nice to hear from you all the way from Michigan! apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

You may have read in earlier posts that I am Guido Devoti's grandaughter.  I have been speaking with my Uncle, Peter (Guido's son) to check on the information you are looking for. 

The information you have posted is all accurate, however I can clarify that Maria Devote Oliva is not related to Guido Devoti.  It is just a coincidence that the names are so very similar.  We are unsure as to the exact spelling of your Maria's surname (whether this is Devote or Divote) but my uncle is aware that there was a family in the Northwest with this name in the late 60's/early 70's as a man with this name introduced himself to my grandad Guido at an Italian convention - the discussion focusing on the similarity in their names! I do hope that this is of some help to you.

As you say however, we are distant cousins via the Granelli's!

Both the Granelli's and the Devotis came from Santa Maria Del Taro which is on the mountain pass behind Lavagna.  If you look at earlier posts on this sight you will see a picture of the village.

I believe that it was your relative in the UK who met quite recently with my family.

Good luck with your searching, please let me know if we can be of any further help.

Kind regards  Julia

Offline srm0119

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 April 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding...Julie!
Wonderful to meet another distant relative.  Yes, it was our recent connection with another Oliva family member that met with your relatives recently.  They have been so wonderful and helpful.  Love all the photos they have been giving us as well. Be sure to thank them from their fascinated relatives in Michigan.  We only recently confirmed our Italian heritage.   Emanuel was born in UK, but changed his last name to Oliver upon coming to the US, so Oliva was a newly confirmed surname :o

Thank you for clearing up that there is not a Devoti...Divote connection.  The birth certificate of our Emanuel Oliva looks to be DIVOTE as does the marriage cert. of Giovani and Maria.  This name does not come up on Italian surname searches, so I thought it may have been changed, as is often the case.   We'll hunt for other Divote families in the NW. 

Sue
OLIVA/Oliver  Lancashire, England/Italy
DIVOTE  Lancashire, England/Italy
ROGERS New York, Ohio and Michigan USA
DURNING Detroit, MI USA/Ireland
HAYES USA dating to George of Windsor, CT 1650's
MURPHY USA/Ireland
MOORMAN Cincinnati, OH USA/Germany
VOSS Cincinnati, OHUSA/Germany
GARRITY Ionia, MI USA/Canada/Ireland
GRANELLI Macclesfield, England

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sue......on www.geneanet.org if you put in
surname         divote
place             blank
there are no family trees / no archive records ..but...ONE Library record for the name and it is recorded in 1878 in San Francisco ,America.............would this have been recorded as part of your family ?....
98 records for Devote
12 trees
50 archive
35 library..................one from Gwent,
1 other sources
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Well hasn't this thread grown since I started it over three years ago now!

Julia, did you ever hear any more from your uncle about my Agostino Granelli family?

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline juliawilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 April 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue - My uncle has seen your email on here, youre very welcome!

The best of luck locating the Divote family.  I have just seen the family tree that your relations in Liverpool have created, its all very fascinating!

Nina - hello, long time no speak.  I've forgotten where we were up to with our emails? did you get the photos that I mailed over (i bet it is over a year ago now)

Thanks Julia