Author Topic: Granelli in Macclesfield  (Read 24280 times)

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Granelli in Macclesfield
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 31 August 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Another little snippet about Agostino...I have confirmed he was still at Catherine Street in 1923 according to Kelly's Directory.   He is listed as a confectioner, as is Angelo Granelli who is listed just below, at 60b Chestergate.

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline juliawilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
I am Angelo Granellis great grand daughter  Julia and being with the family today my uncle Peter (Devoti) has told me about your posts so we thought it  would be nice to reply, say hello and wish you all a merry Christmas.
It's nice to  keep reading posts about the Granelli family many generations on, do keep in touch, contact isn't as frequent these days.
All the best for 2014
Julia, Peter & all the family in Macclesfield

Offline awgoodall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 July 16 03:38 BST (UK) »
In fact I was told that one of my great aunts worked in the shop in Macclesfirld in the 1920's (approximately).

Hello, folks!

I hope there's no problem resurrecting an old thread. This is my first post here.

I've been researching the Granelli side of my family and came across this site.

Ninatoo, the great aunt you're talking about is Teresa Granelli, my grandmother. I'm the son of her daughter Margaret, and the oldest of Teresa's eight grandchildren.

I remember Nana talking about working at the Granelli store in Macclesfield. I don't remember the reason she was sent there to work. I'll ask my Mum for more information. I do remember that she said the family treated her kindly.

I'm trying to find out more information about the Granelli family in Italy. In particular, I'm looking for information about the Granellis living in Italy around the turn of the 20th century. I have a single reference to one person in particular, a Marietta who married into the Granelli family. (She later remarried, perhaps someone named Corsini.) Unfortunately I don't know the name of the man she married, or how they were related (if at all) to my grandmother.

There's a story with regard to my grandmother and Count Mario Mattei, the adopted son of Count Cesare Mattei, that I'm trying to decipher. Mum has a letter (and a photograph) from the Count to my grandmother in the 1930s where the Count was trying to get Nana to name her eldest son (my uncle David) after him (it didn't happen, as my grandfather David would have nothing of it). I'm piecing together the mystery, and I'm trying to figure out the connection between the Count and Nana. I found a reference to "Marietta Granelli", who took over as caretaker of Rocchetta Mattei (the Count's castle). I have my suspicions that Marietta Granelli is related some way to Macclesfield/Glasgow Granellis, and that it was through her that Nana became associated with Count Mario.

If anyone has questions about this side of the family, let me know and I can pass on any questions to my Mum.

Offline Tarnwater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
I worked with a Peter Granelli in the mid 1970's. He was the manager of a cash & carry in Llandudno Junction, N.Wales.He was from either Macclesfield or Manchester, married, smoker and wore large glasses. A real wheeler dealer, nice man, liked working for him. I knw he was part of the Granelli ice cream family.
Brian
PRITCHARD[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE
EVANS[CAERNARVONSHIRE/DENBIGHSHIRE]
SLOAN/SLOANE[CAERNARVONSHIRE]
WILLIAMS[Caernarvonshire]
JONES[Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]
ROBERTS[Caernarvonshire]
TODD[ANTRIM]
McNEILL[Antrim]
FURNEAUX[DEVON]
SKINNER[DEVON]
WEST[Devon]
SANDERS/SAUNDERS[DEVON]
WEBBER[Devon]
BARRET[Devon]
POPE[Devon]
EDWARDS [Caernarvonshire/Denbighshire]

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 29 September 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
I've just come across this thread, my  family name is Devote and my grandmother used to recall going up to Manchester to visit a Devote family selling ice-cream up there.  We are from Pembroke and the original Devote was Jacob Devote born c1820, their first record in this country is in 1841 birth of first child and census.   My grandfather William Jacob Devote is known to be the first selling ice-cream in Pembroke, he had a horse and cart.

Back to Manchester they are on the 1881 census living at No 7 Richmond Street, Macclesfield.  They had 5 daughters so no Devote descendants.   I am curious about Peter Devoti as the spelling of this name does vary and there are Latinos in America with the name Devote, but there are a couple of documents showing the name Devoto as the original spelling.

I am not sure how we are related to the Manchester family as the head John Devote born Italy is not a son of Jacob so does not fit into our tree.   We have a John Devote born 1844 Jacob's first son,  I have the marriage cert of John Devote Manchester and he puts his father down as Andrew and married an Emma Royle.

In 1911 they have two Lyons grandchildren with them and a Coppello a shop assistant.

My Devote grandparents married in 1921, so I guess they must have visited in 1920s early 1930s.

I won't go on as I have so many documents.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
awgoodall, I am sorry I did not reply to you sooner.    I can only think that it was because last year in July my father was quite ill, and he passed away in the August so I was not in a good frame of mind for research. 

I think I had previously been exchanging emails with your sister a few years back.

I only came across this post again because of a query one of my relatives had, and I began searching my old posts to find an answer. I wanted to say that I have also heard the story about the Count from my uncle and it was rather vague but he seemed to think we were related to the Count somehow.  I would be very interested in hearing more about that from you.

I still have not been able to make a connection with the Macclesfield Granelli family, though my own Granelli relatives are certain they are related.

Again, I am sorry that I had not replied sooner,

Ninatoo
CLARK - Dunbarton
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
I don`t think it is a coincidence that one  of the biggest ice cream makers in Manchester (New Cross/Ancoats area)was the
Granelli family.
They were in Manchester at the latter end of the 1800`s, until the area was demolished in the late 1950`s /early 1960`s.
So many Italian families settled there that it was known as "Little Italy".
Granelli.
Pesagno.
Batchegalupo.
Rea.
Crolla.
Pandolfo.
Quigliogotti.etc.
The Madonna ,carried in the Italian Whit walks, was stored the rest of the year in Granelli`s ice cream making premises.
They were in Jersey St.

It was a lovely sight to see the Italian girls in national costume.

Mr. John Pesagno always stood on the corner of Bradford St and Butler St when our church ,St Philip`s was starting the Whit walks into Albert Square. He would take off his Homburg hat and stand bareheaded as a mark of respect, and this despite him being interned during the war, and despite these being Protestant walks.
My sister`s late husband was related to the Devoge and Lyons families.
Viktoria.

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 09 March 19 01:05 GMT (UK) »
It's been quite a while since I visited.  Somewhere in this thread or another about the Granelli family, the Macclesfield Granellis informed my contact that they believed my Granelli family were not related to them.  However, after doing a DNA test at Ancestry.com and having had matches to people who are definitely related to those in Macclesfield, I can say that without a doubt my Granelli family and the Macclesfield Granellis are linked.   ;D

I knew this had to be so, because my great aunt and couple of second cousins had visited them, and were greeted as family members, and this was as late as the fifties or sixties, so I am not sure where the knowledge of this connection had disappeared to. I hope someone here who has connection to them can let them know, and we can see if we can find the actual link.
CLARK - Dunbarton
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline VisitRudyard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was searching for some info about Agostino Granelli's Ice Cream and found this thread.

I thought the OP/others might be interested in this photo from the Rudyard Lake archive.

I'm not entirely sure of the year of this one but can probably find out!  It looks to have been taken by the Dam at the South end of the lake.

I have a much higher quality version if interested (500kb max size on here).  Cheers.