Author Topic: Granelli in Macclesfield  (Read 24366 times)

Offline momos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Granelli in Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 October 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina,
I wondered if the following video of Crossall Street, Macclesfield on Youtube was of any interest?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ6LmTqW8Us
regards

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 October 08 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks momos!

I think that Granelli shop has been there from the start, from what I have read on the internet.  The ancoats page is no mopre, so I don't know what happened to the information there....a pity.

The best news of the month is that I found my ancestor Agostino Granelli listed in Seed's Directory in 1910 in Catherine Street (number 18) and he is listed as an ice cream vendor!  Just down the road is an Angelo Granelli listed as a confectioner (same address as mentioned in Celia's post above).  So at least  I can determine that Agostino made an appearance in Macclesfield between 1902 and 1910....which is a bit more information than I had, and he will probably be on the 1911 census, so it's all good!  But since the living family have said that my ancestor was not related to theirs, I am not sure whether to keep up the search or not.

Thanks again all!

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline momos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 October 08 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again Nina,

I have just found the following webpage:
http://goodfoodshops.blogspot.com/2008/01/macclesfield-granellis.html
and wondered if you already had this information? 

regards

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 October 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Momos,

Yes I did come across that site recently.  Thanks for posting it here for me just in case.  I have searched for Angelo Granelli in the 1891 census, but there seem to be no Granellis in Macclesfield at that time.  (Not that there is yet a proven link between him and I anyway!)

He and his brother Fortunato and their families are in Church Street in 1901 making ice cream, as well as being bakers and confectioners......busy people!

Nina
CLARK - Dunbarton
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline julie08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 October 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say that I know Santa Maria del Taro well. A couple of months ago in Bedonia we met a young Granelli woman whose family do still make ice cream in Yorkshire.  Can't help you with your Macclesfield relations I'm afraid, but a lot of people from that area seem to have settled in Warrington.
Good luck with your search.
Julie
Cookson, Allinson, Gregson, Morrissey, Grey, Behan, Gaerty, Reay, Toole, Tuohy, Cavanagh, Burk, Poland, Malone, Whitaker, Graham, Carr, Dodsworth, Kemble, O'Shaughnessy, Langley.

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Welcome to Rootschat!  Thanks for your reply.  I wish I could visit Santa Maria del Taro myself.  The few photos available on the internet show that it is a beautiful place.

I am confident that I will be able to trace my Granellis more when the 1911 census appears.  I can't wait!

I am editing to say that I never knew my grandfather Francisco Camillo Granelli due to my granny and him divorcing early in their marriage, and my Dad never got to know him well either, because he was not encouraged to.  My grandfather passed away before I got to meet him.  This is the reason I know so little about them, and it is only through my research in genealogy that I know as much as I do.  It is so strange that I have Italian blood but have never been part of the Italian culture.  And yet there has always been a connection to Italy for me. 

So thank you all for your help!

Nina
CLARK - Dunbarton
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline julie08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina,
Yes, Santa Maria is lovely. A very sleepy little town with just a few shops and bars, but in a beautiful setting. Photos don't do it justice!

I think the Granellis might originally be from Setterone a couple of miles away. Setterone is pretty much an abandoned village because of emigration. Have you seen this website www.valtaro.it ?
Cookson, Allinson, Gregson, Morrissey, Grey, Behan, Gaerty, Reay, Toole, Tuohy, Cavanagh, Burk, Poland, Malone, Whitaker, Graham, Carr, Dodsworth, Kemble, O'Shaughnessy, Langley.

Offline juliawilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nina
I have not used this site before so bear with me! (i hope this message reaches you!) I have read your posts and might be able to help you a little.  My family are the Granellis of Macclesfield who continue to run the ice cream business in Macclesfield that you mention.  My Nanna was Madalena Granelli who married Guido Devoti, it is her son (my uncle) Peter Devoti that you have also mentioned in your emails.
My Grandfather is from Santa Maria Del Taro where some of my family still live.  My uncle Peter knows a little about your grandfather Agostino and i understand even has a picture or two of him.  My uncle tells me that Agostinos daughter Milietta went to school in Macclesfield with my nanna.  Apparently Agostino moved back to Italy (Bedonia) and opened the first cinema over there.  Agostinos youngest daughter Mary moved to America (Ohio) but did come back to Macclesfield many years ago as she came to visit my nanna.
If you are still looking drop me an email - I can always put you in touch with my uncle who can probably tell you a little more!
Kind regards
Julia

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 January 09 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Fistly, huge apologies for not replying sooner!  Christmas preparations got in the way of my genealogy for a while!

Thanks for the lovely photo Julie08!  I will go and visit there one day.

Juliawilliams, thanks so much for your reply.  I am excited that your uncle can recall Agostino Granelli (my great grandfather's brother) and his family.  Today I finally looked at the 1911 census and Agostino is there at 18 Catherine Street, manufacturing ice cream on the premises.  He married Margherita Agazzi (I am fortunate that he wrote her maiden name and then lightly crossed over it), and there are two children listed: Miglia aged 7 and Francesco aged 5.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nina

So now I am a step closer to finding that elusive link, but I am still very  interested in hearing and seeing anything you have about Agostino.  I may even have a photo of him myself (my great grandfather's wedding photo) but I would love to be able to confirm this.

CLARK - Dunbarton
DOCHERTY - Glasgow