Author Topic: Kilmun Burials - Help  (Read 30695 times)

Offline AScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmun Burials - Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 October 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Yes - Kilmun Monumental Inscriptions by Jean Maskell
published by Scottish Genealogy Soc, 15 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2JL
I have a copy of the book. Only entries under Johnston are Andrew, and William Low although there are several under Johnstone and two under Johnson. Can give you full details on any you're interested in

AScot

Offline AScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 08 19:34 BST (UK) »
Wonoona
Re your query on Douglas family
The Monumental Inscriptions Book for Kilmun has no listing for Neil & Janet or or either of their sons. There is however an entry for Neil's father , Duncan 1767-1827 - his grave is at plot 6 section C with the inscription" To his memory this is inscribed by Janet Bell his spouse.
Another piece you may be interested in - did you know that Janet Whyte/ Douglas was convicted of theft in 1854 and served 29 days in Inverary Jail? - full details on the Inverary Jail site.
I'm also into Douglas and Whyte, McCaul and Ferguson so perhaps we could share info on any of them.
Best wishes
AScot

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 08 22:04 BST (UK) »
AScot

Many thanks for the info you have posted on my Douglas's!  Yes I had found out Janet had served time in Inverary Jail for theft of a brooch and her younest son Archie was let off!  That Inverary Jail website if most interesting.  Certainly if I can help with any info do get in touch and I will share willingly!

Kind Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline AScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
Yvonne

Thanks for the reply. My family history leads to the Fergusons, and the connection with the Douglas family is, to say the least, distant - Janet Whyte's father Duncan was brother of Alexander Whyte 1776-1867 and Alexander's daughter, Mary Whyte 1806-1881 was married to Duncan Ferguson 1802-1870 and that's it although I have most of the info on the Whyte dynasty.
I see you have Neil Douglas's occupation as ferryman. If that was the case he was almost certainly working for the Fergusons who operated the ferries between Strone, Kilmun and Hunters Quay. My record has Neil as Posmaster at Kilmun Post Office in 1841 - also owned by the Fergusons.
 What I don't have on the Whyte/Douglas connection is when Neil died and what became of daughter Janet. Perhaps you could fill in the blanks. Let me know if there's anyone else you'd like me to look up in the Kilmun Monumental Inscriptions book.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
Alan

Thanks for info - I have sent you an instant message, so hopefully that will help.

Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 October 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Kilmun Church is open for visitors several times a week.  Possibly only during the summer.  We were there in JUly.  They have a list of people buried in the church yard and a corresponding map of grave sites.  The guides are very helpful and also serve tea and scones!

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 October 09 00:34 BST (UK) »
Museum Man 2
       You may be able to help me. I am looking for a cemetery inscription for Alexander Grierson.
 He was in Dunoon 1851 census, not registered in 1861, so I presume he died 1851-1861, and most likely buried in Dunoon. There is a reference that he was a monumental mason.
 In 1861 census his wife Helen Grieson and mother in law Margaret McKellar were in Kilmun, so there may be a death for Helen Grieson recorded in Kilmun .
   Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline museum man 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 October 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry. I could not find any trace of the Griersons in Kilmun Cemetery. Closest I came was reference to Margaret McKellar daughter of John McKellar.
 Main cemetery for Dunoon & Kilmun District is actually in Dunoon. I do not hold any records for that cemetery.
Enquiries can be made  with Argyll & Bute District Council at Milton House Dunoon. There is a charge of around £18 for the service!

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 October 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
Museum Man 2
 Thank you for looking at Kilmun for me. Dunoon is definately a possibility for Alexander Grierson. I will have to follow it up.
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar