Author Topic: MacLeod family Stornoway  (Read 27405 times)

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacLeod family Stornoway
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this site and wondering if anyone knows anything about my grandmothers family. Her name was Flora MacLeod & was born on 3rd November 1917, her parents were Donald & Annie MacLeod. The address i have from her birth certificate is 28 Builnacraig, Stornoway. Donald's Profession/Occupation on the birth certificate is Cooper (Journeyman). My Grandmother had 5 sisters & 5 brothers they were,

Anne - no information known
Margaret - got married but had no family
Carrie -  Possibly lived in Glasgow in late 60's 70's with sister Anne/Margaret?
Katie - Died young of what i have been told was Brain fever, she fell in playground
Dena or Dera - Died aged about 16 of galloping consumption/ TB (not sure if name correct)

George - known as Geordie who was a Seaman
Donald John - known as Dolly John father to annette, George Wm & Morris/Peggy
Callum - Died 1947 he was burnt badly in a ship fire in Melbourne (possible ship name Minneosa)
Kenny - Chief Steward on boat at sea, when he got home one day he got to the front door and died sadly.
1 Unknown name brother died young possibly?

My Gran had a daughter called Joyce who now lives in London.
Sadly for an unknown reason my Grans parents were told that she had been killed in a train crash that happened in Crewe, England.
My Gran found this out when she came back to Stornoway in 1973 as old friends were totally shocked to see her as they thought she had been killed.
Whilst back on the island she stayed in a relatives Hotel or B&B i think but do not know the name of it.

My gran married Frederick Woodroff and lived in Swindon Wiltshire, they had a son David & a daughter Maureen (my Mother). My Gran, Grandad & David have all died now and my mother & auntie Joyce are the only living relatives. 

If anyone is part of the family or knows anything about the family please could you contact me i would love to find out more about this part of my family as this is all i really know. I have been in contact with George William MacLeod about 4 yrs ago and he gave me some good information,  but not in much detail e.g dates of birth, death, adresses, marriages etc. He lives in Lower Sandwick.
Thank you in anticipation
Louise xx :-*
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod family Stornoway
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Take a look down the list and there is a posting, 'Help to date this photo'.

It is for MacLeods of Stornoway, too.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 07:33 GMT (UK) »

It is for MacLeods of Stornoway, too.

Jamjar

I hate to disillusion you, Jamjar, but Lewis (and, of course, Stornoway) has a very high concentration of MacLeods.

Louise's are probably not related at all to the ones that you mention.

Gadget - surrounded by MacLeods!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you know the approx dates and birth order of your Grandmother's siblings? There are 17 Donald MacLeod/Mcleods marrying an Ann/ie in Stornoway between 1890 and 1917. It would help to tie things down if I knew the date of the eldest child's birth.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget thanks for replying. The only deffinate dates i know are the marriage of my grans parents which was on 4th October 1894 and my Grans d.o.b was 3rd November 1917. My grans Mother was Annie MacLeod before she married Donald Macleod as it states mothers maiden surname details before marriage on my grans birth certificate. The only other information i have is the address my gran was born in which was 28 Builnacraig, Stornoway, (i think it's now known as Builnacraig street). i am not sure exactly of the order they were born but this is how they were listed when their names were given to me;
Dera or Dena(F)
Annie(F)
Margaret(F)
Carrie(F)
Kenneth(M)
George(M)
Callum(M)
Donald John(M)
Kate or Katie(F)
Flora (my gran)
Unknown name of brother who died young but not sure where he came in order of birth or if any of these are in the correct order?
As you can see my information is very limited and i really appreciate your help thank you. Louise x
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,  thank you for that i will take a look at that.

Louise x

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry Louise, I think you've given me enough to be going on with  ;)
We've got a gale blowing all the way from Stornoway at the moment, but I'll see what i can do before my line goes.

Gadget  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

Details from their marriage give their parents and their ages, etc:

GROS Ref - Vol 88 Page 31

4th October 1894, Branahuie, Stornoway. After Banns according to forms of the Free Church of Scotland.

Donald McLeod, Cooper (apprentice), Bach, aged 22. Parents - Kenneth McLeod, crofter, and Margaret, maiden surname Macleay

and

Annie McLeod, Domestic Servant, spin, aged 23. Parents - Kenneth McLeod, crofter and Ann, maiden surname, Smith

If you go to the Scotland's People site at www.scotlanspeople.gov.uk you will be able to register and trace these families back through to probably 1841 via censues and BMD information. It is pay to view but very reasonable. The IGI may also have details of the earlier marriages and births.

I'll see what else I can find.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Donald's parent's marriage, which gives their parents:

GROS Ref - Vol 86A Page 22

23 February 1871 at Barvas, Lewis. According to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland

Kenneth McLeod, Fisherman, Bach, aged 30. Parents -John McLeod, crofter, and Catherine, maiden surname Matheson

and

Margaret McLeay,living in family, spin, aged 25. Parents - George McLeay, crofter and Catherine, maiden surname,McDonald (dec)

Gadget