Author Topic: Crofts in North uist  (Read 65116 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crofts in North uist
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 January 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »
My late father-in-law James MacLeod's father was Murdoch born 1857 at Air Asaig, Isle of Harris son of James b 1826 who died at Newton 1896. and is wife Selina MacLean.
I'd be glad of any information to pass onto my son and grandsons and would like to visit the area.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline EleanorM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents were Donald John and Rose Macdougall- I think from Bayhead/Paible? My grandmothers brother was Archie MacCorquodale who married Cathy. That is all I know but it sounds like I may have some links to you Mac_Delve. I am going up there later in the year to do some more investigation but will let you know if I find anything else out
Ellie

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been organising papers from my late parents and stumbled on this site/thread by accident.

I have a fair amount of information on my fathers side [MacDougall] dating back th 1811 and intend to get it in context with a vist to the GRO.

My grandfather, John Macdonald, was a crofter in Paible but I have little information prior to that, other than he was jailed in the 1920's leading a crofters revolt. His wife was Christina MacCorquodale and I believe had connections with Kirkibost or Baleshare. Her parents were Donald MacCorquodale and Cathrine, nee MacDonald.

From the previous threads it sounds as if there may be connections with them and any detail would be appreciated.
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have your relatives on my family tree (chiefly MacCorquodale/MacDonald). It's a different 'line' from mine but both are directly descended from Finlay MacCorquodale - b.1790 and Catherine (Kate) Mathieson b.1791. John and Christina were married on 6th Sept. 1910 in Knockintorran in North Uist. There is no father listed on John's marriage certificate to Christina, only his mother, Catherine MacCorquodale, a domestic servant. Christina's occupation is listed as a weaver and John MacDonald, at the age of 30, is listed as an army pensioner. My great grandmother, Ann MacCorquodale came to Glasgow at some point in the late 1800s with her husband Alexander John MacDonald and that is were my family were established. Was interested in the news that John MacDonald was so involved in the crofters' revolt. I knew nothing about that but I will read up a bit on this now. Hope this has been of some interest to you. If I can give you any more information please let me know...
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline iancorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi i am new to the forum ,i have recently completed some research into my family tree, i am directly descended from  Finlay Maccorquodale bn1790 Knockintorran North Uist ,he is my 5 x great grandfather. I have very little information on him i was intrested to see if you have any other details.                                                                     
                                                            Thanks Ian

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 August 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi i am new to the forum ,i have recently completed some research into my family tree, i am directly descended from  Finlay Maccorquodale bn1790 Knockintorran North Uist ,he is my 5 x great grandfather. I have very little information on him i was intrested to see if you have any other details.                                                                     
                                                            Thanks Ian
quote]Hello Ian....had just logged on and got a message about your reply. Finlay MacCorquodale is also my 5 x great grandfather. The line reaches down to my father, Alexander Moody, whose grandmother (on his mother's side) was Ann MacCorquodale who was Finlay MacCorquodale's great grand-daughter. She married Alexander MacDonald, also from North Uist and at some point after their marriage in North Uist in 1897, moved to Plantation and then Govan in Glasgow where their seven children were born. I have quite a bit of research for the family and if you let me know where your line lies, I would love to pass on any information I have.[/

Offline iancorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 August 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi   Thanks for getting back to me can't believe how addictive this family tree stuff is, i have established that Finlay Maccorquodale had a son Angus Maccorquodale bn1820.

His son was also Finlay Maccorquodale Bn 1847, following his death in Knockintorran in 1901 ,his son my great grandfather  Angus John Maccorquodale bn 5/10/1882, moved to Glasgow also to Plantation and married  Catherine Mckenzie in 1906 .

Following a spelling mistake on his marriage record we became McCorquodale ,his son was Angus McCorquodale bn14/10/1910 who was my grandfather.

I was trying to establish more information about the original Finlay but the trail has gone cold due to lack of records.It would appear our lines cross around Findlay Maccorquodale jnr my great great grandfather who must have been Ann Maccorquodale's Uncle ?

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 August 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ian

Well....I think I read and re-read this about 10 times to work out if my reply would make any sense! So....it looks like my great grandmother Ann MacCorquodale and your great grandfather Angus John Maccorquodale were brother and sister. The records I have for your line shows that your grandfather Angus had a brother, also Finlay, who was born in 1906 but died in 1908. There is also a sister, Maggie who I have as born in 1909. Are you building a family tree? I am and have been working on it for over a year now and have quite a bit of information on the North Uist connection. Finlay MacCorquodale (1847) Ann and Angus' father, was married to Maggie MacInnes whose mother came from Benbecula. Now she has relatives that went to Australia in the mid 1800s...amazing. Some of our North Uist connections also went off to Canada...I have some records on that..but not much. I also have it noted that Angus and Ann's sister Johanne also came to Glasgow and set up home, with her family, in Plantation. As you say...this stuff becomes quite compelling and believe me I'm delighted to be able to share this information with you. If you haven't started a family tree, please do...I'm more than happy to pass over everything I have on the MacCorquodales...you may also have some information that I'm not aware of. Hope I've been of some help..

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 April 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm not sure whether it is just a coincidence that I see two familiar family names or whether I have actually struck gold. I have been trying to trace the parents of my greatgrandmother Catherine Mcdonald born c1812 in Appin. According to her death certificate from SP her parents were a Christian MCCORQUODALE and a Donald McDonald. I believe I found the parents living in Duror on the 1841 census. Christian's age is c 60 on the census but I realize that is not necessarily 100% accurate. On familysearch.org I found several of their children: Hugh b. 1805, Christy b. 1808, Catherine b 1812, Elizabeth born 1817, Duncan b. 1820, and Donald born 1822. I have not yet been able to find Christian's birth or death certificate. Do they even exist?????I don't even know whether she originated from this area. It's just a possibility. Any help would be appreciated.
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack