Author Topic: Crofts in North uist  (Read 65123 times)

Offline ammac11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crofts in North uist
« Reply #72 on: Monday 22 December 14 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Re Finlay MacCorquodale & Catherine Matheson, their dau. Christian ( b. 1831) married Hector MacLellan at Kilphedir NU in 1855, his 1st wife Ann MacAulay died 1855 at Old Split Croft 5 Balemore leaving a son John and dau. Margaret. Hector & Christian emigrated 1857 to Ailsa Craig, Ontario and had 9 children there, hence many descendants. Hector was my gg grandfather's ( Ewen) brother. Their sister Christian married John MacDonald of Houghary, and sister Catherine married Archy MacDonald, a shepherd on Vallay originally frm Skye. Their eldest brother married Janet MacRury (from Scolpaig?), lived at Tighary. I have a lot of info on our MacLellan connections in Canada, and happy to share if of interest. Rgds, Sandy M.

Offline uist1754

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi MacLost

I am a descendant of Archibald Crawford (Minish & Baleshare) Are you related to the Crawfords?

Kind regards

uist1754

Offline CORUISK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
This is a reply to Aodh , because I can clarify a few points with absolute certainty .
Kinloch , meaning head of the loch , is at the head of Loch Dunvegan , and adjacent to the place where I was born and brought up , called variously Ostal , Osdale , or Ostle which is nearest to the Gaelic pronunciation which we all used . Kinloch is where the Church of Scotland manse is/was situated , and Ostal is where Donald Maclean's son Roderick Maclean was born . So was I .

I am a direct descendant of Matilda , sister of Elizabeth Pringle who married Roderick Maclean , and I am very interested that you should know that this Roderick had a half-sister by his father's second marriage . Her name was Anne , and she married a Duirinish ( Skye ) school master called Archibald Campbell and emigrated to Nova Scotia , where he continued to be a school master . Her mother's brother was the famous soldier , Major General Norman MacLeod of Gillen , near Waternish .

I am particularly interested in this matter because Morrison's genealogy gets it wrong , and it should be corrected . He confuses Roderick's sister-in-law , Matilda , with his half-sister , Anne who emigrated and raised her family in Canada . According to his erroneous account , Matilda ( whose grandfather was the Clan Chief of the MacLeods , Norman MacLeod of MacLeod ) left Scotland , whereas in fact, there are direct descendants of Matilda living in the west of Skye to this day . Matilda lived and died at Ardmore , Harlosh on  9th November 1877 , and her death and parental names were certified by her grandson , Donald Macaskill , brother of my great grandmother .

I would be very interested to learn more from you about Anne , and how you come to know about her , because one day I intend to write a full account in a Clan MacLeod magazine , setting out the true story of the descendants of Matilda , of which I myself am one . Her mother Jessie , daughter of James MacDonald of Knocowe ( who got Boswell drunk , on his tour with Dr Johnson ) brother of Allan MacDonald ( husband of the famous Flora MacDonald ) was descended from the MacDonalds of Kingsburgh , and from the Lords of the Isles , and her father was the son of the MacLeod Chieftain .

Offline CORUISK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Aodh ,
I came across your questions by accident . My Rootschat name is Coruisk . Please see my reply to you .
Briefly , Rev. Roderick Maclean was born on Skye , at Ostal , which is adjacent to Kinloch , being the head of Loch Dunvegan . His father Donald Maclean had a daughter by a second marriage , called Anne , who married Archibald Campbell , a school-master in Duirinish , Skye , and emigrated to Nova Scotia where he continued to work as a school teacher .
I was also born at Ostal , and wish to correct the MacLeod genealogy of A. Morrison , who confuses Anne ( half-sister of Roderick Maclean ) with Matilda , who was the sister-in-law of Roderick , ie. his wife's sister .  What can you tell me about Anne's life in Nova Scotia or Cape Breton ?ss

Offline aodh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 18 March 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I never saw or responded to this message - my apologies!

Regarding Anne who married Archibald Campbell - my research suggests that her name was Margaret - not Anne.

Margaret, according to her gravestone inscription was born on Skye in 1786 and died in 1874.
Her husband, from the same stone, Archibald Campbell, native of the isle of Skye, Inverness-shire born Feb 17 1785, died [stone broken & repaired]1866, aged 81 years.

Of course the other possibility is that Margaret is the second wife of Archibald Campbell.

Offline Anne champkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 04:55 GMT (UK) »
My newly discovered grandfather was Angus McCorquodale, married Rosetta grant. I am the daughter of their son, Richard and have only very recently discovered this fact with the help of a genealogist. Are you Angus or Johns son? Would love any pictures if you have any, as only got one of Richard, my dad. He never knew about me and unfortunately died in 2016.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, welcome to RC  ;)

Do you have the names of the parents of your g/father Angus as it's easier for others to work with info. further back as Angus & Richard are more recent in terms for people to connect?

Annie

Add...Incase you don't already have it, the marriage on SP (scotlandspeople.gov.uk) downloadable using credits for a minimal fee & will name both parents including mothers' maiden name...

MCCORQUODALE ANGUS - GRANT ROSETTA 1935 - 644/16 86 Tradeston (Lanark)

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Friseal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 27 February 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
question regarding family roots in Hougharry (Hogha Gearraidh)

my first post so apologies if placed incorrectly though i am seeing your offer of knowledge!

My great Grandmother Kate MacDonald 1891, daughter of Roderick, had a daughter (my grandmother) by another man in the village Norman MacIsaac who was much older.  Im told the baby was given to the sister of Norman and her husband but i know little else.  I believe the name of family baby went to was Archibald Mackay and possibly in Luing/Oban?

If any informatiion on Norman and family would be interested! cheers.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 28 February 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »
There are three marriages of a female M(A)cIsaac to a male M(a)ckay.

Mary Margaret MacIsaac married Norman Mackay in Benbecula in 1886
Margaret MacIsaac married Archibald McKay in Kilmore and Kilbride in 1910
Christy M MacIsaac married Alick Mackay in North Uist in 1948

Oban in is in the parish of Kilmore and Kilbride.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in some credits. Use some of them to download the marriage certificate of Archibald McKay and Margaret MacIsaac. This should tell you the couple's ages and the names of their parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

You can then look for Margaret with her family in the census, and with luck you'll also find Norman with the same parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.