Author Topic: Crofts in North uist  (Read 65121 times)

Offline MacMunks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crofts in North uist
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 February 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear McVite, (are we really cousins?)...talk about serendipity.

My pm is (*)

Thank you, I would be seriously chuffed to receive anything of interest that you feel generous enough to share.

I have recently found the maclean.org site but can't find my way around it with any dexterity yet and haven't been able to locate any of my own MacLeans, even with the aid of the optional spelling. This McLean/MacLean spelling has always been a cause for concern, but I see on the birth certs and census records that I have been able to research, that the spelling appears to be almost random. Any ideas in this regard?

I thought I was making real progress, until I found the Maclean Clan web site, (I now feel swamped) and now the task seems awesome and rather daunting. I suspect there are tricks to this new trade and that I shall learn the nifty ones, as I go along.

Greetings from a grey, very cold County Cork.
Kindest regards.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 February 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Macmunks

Have sent you a PM

Kind regards

Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
I have just started helping a friend with her North Uist families and would appreciate any help at all.

The family is Macphail, Norman born c 1846 at Locheport, son of Archie Macphail and Margaret Maclellan, and his wife  Anne Macormack. born 1849, daughter of Roderick Macormack and Janet MacRury in Ole Sollas?,

I have no death dates for Norman or his wife Anne and no details at all of the Macormack, Maclellan and MacRury lines and would dearly love to know more about them.

Norman Macphail's son Archie, his wife Christina Macdonald and their five sons emigrated to NSW in 1922 and my friend is descended frm this couple.

Many thanks, Marie in Sydney.
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 June 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
This is so familiar I could have written it myself! I am building a family tree for my father Alexander Moody. His mother was Catherine (Kate) Macdonald and her mother's line is MacCorquodale/MacCorquidle. I have a Bertie Hart married to my grandmother's sister (Annie) and I know that the Harts came from Govan. I have built a substantial list of ancestors on both the MacDonald/MacCorquodale side and on the Moody side. The Moody line I have legitimately goes back to 1799 but have got stuck now, as I think at that point Ireland is involved and very little information is available to help. Be fascinating if we have similar connections.
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline superdude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 June 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello, I would like to take you up on your offer. My great grandfather was born in a place called " tighan" in 1879. His name was Godfrey Macleod. Tighan does not feature on any map so, I'm thinking it's either a long forgotten village or it's a croft. Any information on this would be a gret help. Thank you

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 July 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello
This notice looks quite old and you may have some information already. I am researching MacDonald/MacCorquodale or MacCorquidle of North Uist and have quite a wealth of information. One of these MacDonalds married a Hart and I see that you have some earlier information on them also. I'm also researching Moody (Govan and Ireland). Have a good bit of info but have got a bit stuck at 1799 and before. Any help would be so appreciated and if I can also help by passing anything on, I would be more than happy to share.

Govan Fair
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline maccuish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
I have just started helping a friend with her North Uist families and would appreciate any help at all.

The family is Macphail, Norman born c 1846 at Locheport, son of Archie Macphail and Margaret Maclellan, and his wife  Anne Macormack. born 1849, daughter of Roderick Macormack and Janet MacRury in Ole Sollas?,

I have no death dates for Norman or his wife Anne and no details at all of the Macormack, Maclellan and MacRury lines and would dearly love to know more about them.

Norman Macphail's son Archie, his wife Christina Macdonald and their five sons emigrated to NSW in 1922 and my friend is descended frm this couple.

Many thanks, Marie in Sydney.

Hello Marie,

I have just registered recently and see this a fairly old post.  Please get in contact as i think I might know the family that left North Uist in 1922 - but I would need more details.

Many thanks ..

Iain (Edinburgh)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 September 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
I have some info on Crofts in North uist and would be happy to share my findings with anyone who is looking for specific families of areas.

Hi

I have just come across this post!   With a few good rellies, We have been searching for information for our Family from North Uist!

MacInnes Ewan: We have some information re Ewan McInnes born about 1812 in Cladach Kylis,
MacInnes Mary: his wife we think was Mary McInnes born about 1822 in Houghary.
They appear to have married C1845 after the birth of two of their daughters, Ann, Harriet.
   They left for Australia on the Hercules which was quarantined in Cork Ireland before arrive in South Australia on the Neptune.  Sadly, Ann died in the quarantine and another daughter Flora, was born and died on the Neptune.

Ewans parents as Finaly McInnes (born about 1770 we think and died before 1851)
and Catherine MacDonald (born about 1781 and died about 1866...
Catherines's parents are Donald MacDonald and Margaret McLean.... 
Ewan's sister Margaret (Peggy) was married to Angus McPhail

I looking for any further information re our McInnes, MacLean, MacDonald, McPhail Families so would love  to know if there is any further information we could add to our research.

:) ;) :D

Cheran

Offline Mac-Delve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been organising papers from my late parents and stumbled on this site/thread by accident.

I have a fair amount of information on my fathers side [MacDougall] dating back th 1811 and intend to get it in context with a vist to the GRO.

My grandfather, John Macdonald, was a crofter in Paible but I have little information prior to that, other than he was jailed in the 1920's leading a crofters revolt. His wife was Christina MacCorquodale and I believe had connections with Kirkibost or Baleshare. Her parents were Donald MacCorquodale and Cathrine, nee MacDonald.

From the previous threads it sounds as if there may be connections with them and any detail would be appreciated.
MacDougall,MacDonald,MacCorquodale,North Uist,Canada