Author Topic: MARTIN family + MAGHERACLOONE parish  (Read 20073 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARTIN family + MAGHERACLOONE parish
« on: Friday 17 November 06 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about the family of PATRICK and MARGARET MARTIN who appear to have lived in the parish of Magheracloone, Co. Monaghan, in the 1830s and 1840s?

They were the parents of ANN MARTIN, born in Co. Monaghan in 1834 or 1835.  She migrated to Sunderland where she married Patrick Hoey on 24 July 1854.  She had a sister who was about six years older than her, MARY, b. 1828-9.  She married a Joseph White in Sunderland also - 1853.  There was also a younger sister, ROSE, who married Michael Keenan in Durham City in February 1855.  She died in Crook, Co. Durham, in 1873 (aged 36).  This would make her born c. 1837.

The girls had a brother named PATRICK and, possibly, other brothers too: PHILIP and MICHAEL.  They acted as godfathers to their sisters' children in a number of Co. Durham baptisms.

In the St. Cuthbert's parish entry for the MARTIN - KEENAN marriage her parents' address was given as 'MARACLONE'.  Was this definitely an abbreviated form sometimes used for Magheracloone?

What might be the Catholic church registers (which churches) I might possibly consult to chase up these baptisms?

Is there anyone who knows anything about this Martin family and could possibly help me identify precisely where they lived and the other usual family tree details?

Fingers crossed.

JL.

Offline tullyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family + MAGHERACLOONE parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 06 19:49 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 parishes in Magheracloone.Saint Peter and Saint Paul's and Saint Patrick's.Info on these parishes can be accessed from the site<www.carrickmacross.ie>click on Religious Services.
Ther was a family called Martin who used to stay down the old bog road at Derrynascobe,they would have went to Saint Peter and Saint Paul's at Drumgossat Magheracloone.
 Hope this can help

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 07 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is the same family?

9th June 1889, Dennis Boyle son of Thomas Boyle Of Mullylusty, married Anna Marie Martin daughter of John Martin of Carrickashedoge at St. Patrick's (The Rock Chapel), Carrickashedoge, Magheracloone.

They moved to Consett.

Mullylusty is south of Carrickmacross on the border of Louth.

Did your family have any cousins called Hurson?

Regards
Rewcastle

Offline qshaun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 09 19:55 BST (UK) »
My family are the Martins that lived in Derrynascobe at the end of the Old Bog Road. There are a lot of Martins in Magheracloone. They had to give them all nick names. My family were called the Prandie Martins because my Great Grandfather was called Proinsias (Francis). I know of another family that were alled the Duck Martins.

Offline tullyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
My family were the Reilly family who lived at Derrynascobe down the bog road until the land subsided. I'm sure the Martin's were their neighbours

Offline qshaun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have heard of the Reillys. They were about half way down the road from what I remember. There was Rosie and Barney and I think maybe another brother that might have been called Joe. My Dad was one of the Martins and he left home and moved to England in the 1950s. I remember hearing about when the field fell in.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
This thread was started by a distant relation of mine and I am descended from the above mentioned Rose Martin who married Michael Keenan. These Martins lived at Leons Beg, Upper Magheracloone a half mile north of the Rock Chapel on the road to Carrickmacross. The last Martin to live there was James who succeeded his father Patrick Martin but never married and died in 1916, however his niece Ann White who was born in Co Durham 1853 and had moved to live in with her uncle was still living there when James died but she never married either and I expect she died there too but I have yet to trace her death record.

James actually vacated the original Martin house and holding in the early 1890's for reasons which are unclear but he may have been evicted, the new tenant was a Babington who demolished the house and turned the holding into a field. Meanwhile James Martin found refuge in a smaller adjacent cottage formerly occupied by Owen Martin but by then held by John Duffy. This cottage still stands vacant today and is mentioned in Liam McCaul's 'Footprints in Stone --- Around the Rockchapel' where it is said that it had been used as a forge and I would welcome any information regarding this building and the Martins of Leons Beg.

J.T.A.

Offline qshaun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response. I will ask around in my family to see if we have any further information for you. I have an Aunt who married into our family but her maiden name was also Martin when she married my Uncle. I believe that her family were from up at the Rock Chapel. Also, I have a cousin who married into a family called Babbington and they built their house on the Babbington family land which is up in that area.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
I understand that there is now a number of houses owned by the Babingtons on what was formerly the Martin ancestral lands and I know it is a delicate subject as there were riots in the district when some of the lands, encouraged by the landlords, were taken over by a Mr Babingtons who I think may have formerly lived in Cavan, but I have no quarrel with those living there today, it's just an historical fact. However my late mother spoke with great bitterness and emotion when repeating tales from her parents of the loss of their ancestral lands.

Many thanks for your interest.

J.T.A.