Author Topic: Surname Ellard  (Read 3716 times)

Offline William Cook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname Ellard
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows anything about the Ellard family who lived around Wednesfield (I think!)

Many thanks

William
Cook, Alrdred, Aston, Ellard, Bennett, Spiller, Buckingham, Stephens, Mole, (possibly Probert), Kenifick
Sandy Beds, Cheshunt Herts, City of London, Maidstone, Nottingham, Hay Breconshire, Radnorshire, Presteigne

Offline Lou1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Ellard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I live on Ellards Drive, Wednesfield, which was named after Henry ELLARD.  Henry had a factory on this land and he owned many of the houses round here, which he had built for his workers.  When he died, his will stated that the tenants of the houses could purchase them at a very low price, if they desired: many did.  Also, in one of his warehouses they found a collection of vintage cars: he was avid about them apparently!

In Willenhall, 1 mile or so away, there is still an ELLARDs firm (Henry Ellard and Sons).  I know this doesn't tell you anything about the ELLARD family in particular but thought you might be interested.  His death would have been back in the 1980s (not sure though) as the original factory was demolished and new houses built near his tenants' homes in the late 1980s/ early 1990s.  His death may well be recorded in Wolverhampton's Express and Star newspaper as he was an important figure in Wednesfield.  Hope this is of use!

Louise

Offline Gill 1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello I have only just started to search family tree if you are still interested search Family Tree site put in Edward Ellard born 1836c they have a number of Ellards in the Wednesfield area
Gill

Offline Sarb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I don't know if this is of any use to you but Harry Ellard, the wednesfield engineer who owned Compton Verney and the vintage car collection lived in walsall until his death on 25/12/1983. He had a property close to Barr Beacon on the Walsall, Aldrige, Streetly border which I believe is where he lived. It was a house he had built in approximately 1935.

Have you managed to find a picture of Harry at all during your research?

Hope this helps

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 06:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

The original poster hasn't been on RootsChat since 2015.
The other 2 posters were last active in 2012!

If their email addresses are still working, they may get a notification of your posting.
Hopefully at least one of them will respond.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)