Author Topic: William JONES b circa 1828 Ditton Priors - Resolved  (Read 10195 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William JONES b circa 1828 Ditton Priors - Resolved
« on: Monday 20 November 06 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to verify the family of William Jones and Mary b circa 1832 Diddlebury relying mainly so far on census records.

William was born circa 1828 in Ditton Priors, parents not known, and married Mary, maiden name unknown, who was born Diddlebury circa 1832. His occupation was tailor. They had two children born in Velindre Radnorshire - Alfred John b1854 or 1855, also a tailor (I can not find his birth registration - there are two possibilities; one in Wolverhampton and one in Kidderminster) and Mary b1855 or 1856. Two children, William and Helen, were born in Bettws in 1859 and 1863. A daughter, Alice, was born in Clun in 1865. Two children, Herbert and Annie, were born in Bromyard, Herefordshire in 1869 and 1871. There is also an Edith b1869 who begins as a boarder then becomes a granddaughter and finally a daughter.

I have a sight of a William Jones in the 1841 census working as a servant in Ditton Priors but can not locate him in the 1851 and 1861. In 1871, the family is registered in Winslow Herefordshire, in 1881 Glanford Brigg Lincolnshire and in 1891 and 1901 Nottinghamshire. I believe William died in Nottingham in 1887.

Alfred John Jones is my great grandfather and I have found his father's name, William, on his marriage certificate.

Any help on tracing William's ancestry, his marriage and the 1851 and 1861 census entries would be greatly appreciated.
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones b circa 1828 Ditton Priors
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:40 GMT (UK) »
My goodness. They certainly moved around a bit!

I think I have them in 1861 in Cefn Calanog, Radnorshire.
Black Mountain
William Jones    Head  33  Tailor   Salop, Ditton Friars
Mary        "        Wife   29                 "      Didbury
Mary        "        Daur     7               Radnorshire, Blauddy (I think)
Alpherd (sic) J. Jones Son 6                 "                    "
William  Jones  Son 2                           "                     "
Edward Davies Apprentice 15 

RG9 Piece 4234 Folio 29 Page 7

I'll look in 1851 as well 

Isobel       

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:44 GMT (UK) »
That's excellent information. Thank you, Isobel.
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry. I can't be sure about him in 1851. I can't find anyone who says they're born in Ditton Priors.

As for the wedding, do you have any birth certificates of the children to track down Mary's maiden name? You said there were a couple of possibilities for Alfred. I saw also for Alice there's a possibility in 4th quarter 1865 Clun Vol 6a page 517

Sorry I can 't help any more.

Isobel

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping to do it all via Alfred but your suggestion is, I think, a better (and cheaper) option.

My hope in finding him in the 1851 was to narrow down the possible range of when he may have married and also where he was living to give some guidance on where the marriage may have taken place. As you say, I can cut out a lot of searching time by ordering that birth cert.

Thanks again

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Update: It appears from a birth cert that William's wife is Mary Rowe. I have found a christening on 01/01/1832 at Diddlebury with the mother named as Virgin Roe - no father. I have found a birth for Virgin Roe at Madeley, christening date 27/12/1801, which would suggest that Mary could have been illegitimate.

There are two possible marriage records for William Jones and Mary. The first is September 1851, Birmingham and the second December 1851 in Llandovery which spans Breconshire and Camarthenshire.

No sign of Virgin Roe in 1841 or 1851 census. I was hoping that the place of marriage would narrow down possibilities for the location for William Jones or Mary Rowe but no luck so far.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William JONES b circa 1828 Ditton Priors
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Update (2)

I now have the marriage certificate for William Jones and Mary Rowe (or Roe). They were married in St Martin's Birmingham September 1851 but I still can not find either of them in the 1851 census.

Mary Rowe's father is James Rowe, carpenter. I have managed to find a James Rowe born and raised in Lilleshall (wife Sarah) from the 1841 census onwards and described as a cabinet maker and widowed by 1861. I have not managed to find a Mary Rowe living with them. There is a very strange entry in the 1841 census - just before the Rowe family listing there is a Mary Boughey aged about 7 living either on her own or with the Rowe family according to the place divisions. As I can not find James' marriage to Sarah, I can not check out her maiden name. I am also confused as to why a Lilleshall based family would have a daughter born in Diddlebury.

William Jones' father is John Jones a schoolmaster. Again, the only fit is a family from Shrewsbury.

Extremely dazed and confused.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Did the marriage certificate confirm William as being a tailor? Just to be sure it's the right marriage :)

Isobel

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Indeed, yes, profession: tailor.

It has been a rather frustrating round of research. There were 2 marriages between William Jones and Mary Rowe but the other one's father was not John Jones. Even one of their sons, Alfred John (my great grandfather), has caused problems. After several false trails, I have now found his birth registered as John Alfred. Unfortunately, the John Jones and James Rowe information has led to other problems rather than tidy solutions.