Author Topic: William JONES b circa 1828 Ditton Priors - Resolved  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William JONES b circa 1828 Ditton Priors
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 07 15:49 GMT (UK) »
This is the 1841 James Rowe census reference

HO107/906/2
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I saw the 1841 and 1851 census for James Rowe. I also looked in the IGI and that whole family seems to be christened in Lilleshall. Their son John would be about the same age as Mary, aged 17 in 1851 so if they had a Mary, she really couldn't have been born in Diddlebury.

There's a possible Mary Boughey in 1851 living as a servant with William Husley in Sutton. Her place of birth is given as Moreton Sea. That doesn't really help a lot either I'm afraid.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
My thought on this was that if you look at Mary Rowe's birth in Diddlesbury in the IGI it shows the mother as Virgin Roe but no father's name. She could have been illegitimate and the mother could have moved Parish for the birth. If Sarah's maiden name is Boughey then it could make some sort of sense.

I have even searched the 1841 and 1851 census with just the first name of Mary with her birth information and that throws up nothing helpful. One of those dead ends I fear.

Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
If Mary Rowe was the illegitimate daughter of Virgin Rowe then it is unlikely her father was called Rowe.

Burial 14th January 1835 St Peter Diddlebury
Barbara Virgin Rowe aged 26
also
Elizabeth Rowe aged 26
26th January 1833

What were the full details of the William Jones and Mary Rowe marriage in Wales in 1851. Were the details so different that this couple has to be ruled out?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 February 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
According to Parish records, William Jones was born in Ditton Priors 13/03/1828 son of John Jones and Mary Beddows. When I applied for the two certificates, I included a reference match for father John Jones. The Llandovery one was rejected on that basis.

Yes, I was clutching at straws regarding Mary Rowe's birth in Diddlebury and the fact that the mother is named as Virgin Roe and there is no father could be purely down to poor indexing by the IGI contributor.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 February 07 17:19 GMT (UK) »
What profession does the Ditton Priors baptismal register give for William's father John?

Regards

Valda

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 February 07 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I do not have that information - this came to me from a relative who lives in the area and who phoned a member of the local (Ditton) FHS

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 February 07 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Since it is proving to be so difficult I think you need as much information as possible on which to base the marriage search including William's father's occupation in the baptismal register. I would also check whether William had any siblings. Ditto the Mary Rowe baptismal entry if you think there is any doubt - though it is an extracted entry not a church member submitted entry so it is more likely to be accurate.

Regards

Valda

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 February 07 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.

There are only two marriages between William Jones and Mary Rowe in the time span 1845-1855. I have also checked for the spelling Roe. I know that William Jones married Mary Rowe as I have that from birth certs for some of the children.

I can not find Mary Rowe or William Jones living with family in the 1841 census or with family or alone in the 1851 census. I have searched intensively using various spelling combinations of fore and surnames and even specific parishes and streets. IGI does not cover the two parishes for the date range needed so I think I have no option now other than to approach the Shropshire FHS or the Shrewsbury records office.