Author Topic: Cuthbert CHARLTON - Newburn.  (Read 2094 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cuthbert CHARLTON - Newburn.
« on: Wednesday 22 November 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the family of Cuthbert Charlton who for many years had his own butcher's business in Newburn in the first half of the C20th?

CUTHBERTSON Charlton (his full name - he was given his granny's surname as a first name) was born in Gateshead on 27 August 1878, the son of George Charlton & Elizabeth Salmon.  After living in Jarrow for twenty years he married ANNIE PURVIS in St. James', Benwell, on 12 Oct. 1902.  He died, aged 64, in Station Rd., Newburn, on 25 Sept. 1942.  For many years he lived at 23 Warkworth Crescent in Newburn.

I'd be interested in hearing anything about any of the following children of Cuthbert - all born in Newburn & C. in the local church - since these were all my granddad's cousins (Percy George Charlton, himself born in Newburn on 12 Feb. 1909 - though he lived virtually all his life in Jarrow):

1. George: B. 25 Feb. 1903. 65 Coniston Ave.
2. Sylvia: B. 20 March 1904. 35 Coniston Ave.
3. Ethel: B. 11 April 1905. 35 Coniston Ave.
4. Cuthbertson (Cuthbert): B. 1 Dec. 1908. 53 Warkworth Crec.
5. Margaret Ann: B. 17 August 1910. 53 Warkworth Cres.
6. Angus: B. 1 July 1912. 17 Warkworth Cres.
7. Elsie: B. 29 August 1914. 27 Warkworth Cres. Married William Scott Jennings on 30 July 1938.
8. Elizabeth: B. 13 Nov. 1916. 17 warkworth Cres.
9. Lilian: B. 21 March. Warkworth Cres.

Does anyone know anything of what became of ANY of this large brood?  If so, I'd love to hear from them.  Surely there must be someone descended from Cuthbert still living in the Newburn area!

JL.

Offline CuthbertGSon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: CUTHBERT CHARLTON - NEWBURN.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jarra Lad
Cuthbertson  Charlton (1908), was my grandfather. He left England when he was still a teenager and went to Queensland, where he worked as a butcher, before coming to Western Australia. He worked in Wyndham, then volunteered for WWII where he was one of the Rats of Tobruk. He married once, never divorced, had 5 children (one of whom died at 21 of Polio). His oldest child, Heather, is my mother. I am reasonably certain he brought Margaret and Elsie out to Australia, but my mother can tell you with more certainty. I can send you photos, documents and even some receipts from the butcher's shop in Newburn. Do we communicate through this forum, or another way? Cheers, Tim

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cuthbert CHARLTON - Newburn.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tim, welcome to Rootschat :-)

It looks like Jarra Lad hasn't been active on the forum since 2011, so probably wont see your message, which is a shame as it sounds like you would both have a lot to talk about.

I'll try sending him a PM, if the email address he registered with is still active there is a chance he may get the notification.

Fingers crossed!

Boo