Author Topic: Are US citizenship details available? Lookup or pointers, please.  (Read 5952 times)

Offline bbriann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Are US citizenship details available? Lookup or pointers, please.
« on: Monday 15 November 04 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Wilcocks again.     Hi..   My grandfather , Lawrence Wilcock  must have taken out US citizenship,    because later , on his return to England, he became naturalised British.  This would   have been around 1907 or so.   Can anyone tell us how we can get that kind of info??      Thanks,  B.
Wilcock  ( Wilcox)  in Chorley, Rivington ,   and a separate line in Lancaster, Wray, Melling
Stables Lancashire and Furness,      Southworth ,  Finch in  Wigan and Bolton areas,
Bradley  ,              Sharrock ,    
Bradley in Mass.  U.S.A.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Are US citizenship details available? Lookup or pointers, please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 04 13:42 GMT (UK) »
To get naturalized in the US, it would have been at the local county offices.  If you  know what state and county the person was living, you can get a copy of the naturalization application.  It has loads of information and sometimes a picture.  Some counties will do it for free.
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline bbriann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 04 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Kristin....   thanks for the info,   at least now I know where to look.    Finding out exactly where he was living is the problem.   Thanks for your time, appreciated.  Brian.
Wilcock  ( Wilcox)  in Chorley, Rivington ,   and a separate line in Lancaster, Wray, Melling
Stables Lancashire and Furness,      Southworth ,  Finch in  Wigan and Bolton areas,
Bradley in Mass.  U.S.A.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 01:13 GMT (UK) »
If you can find a place they were living, let me know.  I understand how the naturalization process works now that I have found some in the US.  Live here so i am familiar with the government and the set up.  Let me know how I can help!- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline bbriann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, Kristin.   I'll see what I can find out,  but I don't have much to go on.
Thanks again,  Brian.
Bradley in Mass.  U.S.A.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 04 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristin

I have read, with much interest, your posting to Brian regarding naturalization in the US.

I have recently discovered the following (thanks to another kind member who found them in the 1930 census):

Lillian (born Eliza)  JACKSON (wife of Ray) emigrated to the US between 1919 and 1923.  They were in Cuyahoga Falls, Summit, Ohio 1930 census.

I have read that the naturalization records for this period are with the Regional Federal District Courts of Ohio - I would be most grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

I've been researching our ancestors for many years but this is my first attempt with US records  ??? and am particularly keen to locate her naturalization and death records.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

TIA

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 November 04 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Here are some places to look for Ohio.

Summit COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS OFFICE:
209 S High Street; Akron OH 44308 2nd floor -
Phone: (330) 643-2211 
Scattered Naturalization records starting in 1840's. Many are missing; and early records that exist contain only name, date of filing, and date of final certification. Copies are $1 per page uncertified. Certification is $.50 extra.

Western Reserve Historical Society.  http://www.wrhs.org/ They have a research service for $40 dollars per hour.  You can search their holdings online. 

After 1917, use the federal district courts.  Summit County is in the Northern District and here is their web site.
http://www.ohnd.uscourts.gov/

Hope this helps- Kristin

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 November 04 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I will take a look ...................

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 December 04 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nutkin reading your answers to citizenship details in the u.s.a .My gmother went there in 1895 and was naturelized in 1900 just a guess really  she lived in medford mass till she died in 1956  her name was Mary  Ellen  Dolan aged about 24 in 1900 tho she could have been older.
       who would i write to in Medford for her papers.I must thank you all for being so nice and taking the time to look up so much for so many people
    I would like to wish you all  A  Very  Happy Xmas
                                      and Prosperous  New Year   
                                              Thank You    Joanna