Author Topic: LEMON  (Read 50497 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEMON
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendant of the Lemons of Killycronaghan (my father posted earlier on in this thread, but I do all the genealogy research now). We have corresponded with most of the people in this thread in the past.

My 2x great grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Lemon (1868-1911), daughter of John Lemon (1839-1935) and Harriett Anne Williamson (1849-1922). It is this John Lemon who has proven most problematic, as his father was David Lemon and his mother is unknown. Thanks to the civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie site, I have now located deaths for John and Harriett, as well as births for all of their children.

I have obtained a death certificate for a Mary Lemon in Killycronaghan in 1890, aged 85, widow of David Lemon. Her son John was the informant. It is safe to assume that this is our John's mother. It is highly unlikely to be Mary Todd, as she married David Lemon on 15th June 1814 in Killeevan. It is not Martha Jane Hetherington either, as that David Lemon (son of David Lemon and Mary Todd) emigrated to Woodbury, Washington, Minnesota and died there in 1867. Martha remarried to David Marks and died in St Paul, Ramsey, Minnesota in 1905.

So that just leaves Mary Patten. We know that a Mary, the daughter of James Patten and Rachel Blakeley of Stonebridge, married David Lemon. There are baptisms at PRONI for children of David Lemon and Mary Patten in Killycronaghan in the 1830s. So far it looks like their children were:

Thomas Lemon 1832–
Eliza Jane Lemon 1833–1906 unmarried
Isabella Lemon 1833–1898 unmarried
Robert Lemon 1834–
Rachel Lemon 1836–1907 married John Martin
John Lemon 1839–1935 married Harriett Anne Williamson
James Lemon 1842–1870 unmarried
Mary Lemon 1847–

John married in Smithboro and Rachel married in Stonebridge. Both gave their addresses as Killycronaghan. Thomas Lemon and Mary Lemon were the witnesses on John's marriage and Martha Dunwoody and Irwin Martin were the witnesses on Rachel's marriage.

So the question is, who was our David Lemon and how did he connect to the family of David Lemon and Mary Todd? Did Mary Todd die and that David remarry to Mary Patten? I can find no record of a death for either David Lemon in Monaghan.

If it's not the same man, then perhaps he was a nephew. The 1825 tithe applotment books for Killycronaghan list David Lemon and Thomas Lemon (senior and junior). Maybe David (married to Mary Todd) and Thomas junior were brothers and their father was Thomas senior. Thomas junior could be the father of the David Lemon who married Mary Patten. Speculation, of course.

I've done a fair bit of research into the descendants of David Lemon and Mary Todd but I'm still unable to find where we fit in. I'd be very interested in any further information contained in Reverend Samuel Agnew's letters to Emilie Todd Helm which may help us get to the bottom of the Lemon family, at long last.

Both my father and I have done DNA testing with Ancestry, and I match a descendant of James Patten and Rachel Blakeley, and have a close match to a descendant of Isabella Lemon and Thomas Leghorn. I believe Isabella was the daughter of William Lemon and Margaret Leary, and William was the son of David Lemon and Mary Todd, but that still hasn't helped solve this mystery.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with further information about this family. Thank-you.

Not too easy to research Lemons on Lemon thread when it is hijacked by another Surname....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline elliotgc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Please refer to technologist founder of the YDNA,  Todd DNA Project, Terry Todd, of Illinois USA, early scans of these Rev. Samuel Agnew pages (which are owned and held by the Kentucky repository as set forth earlier):

http://74.93.73.41/agnew/page-03.png
Isabella Lemon (4) b1820 m. Thomas Leghorn

http://74.93.73.41/agnew/page-02.png
Matilda Lemon m. ______ Dunwoody and had 10 kids, one of which is Martha Dunwoody, #6 of 10, m. D. McCoy [Nickles, McCrum, some Dunwoodys to America];

2nd child, Wm Lemon m. ______, and had a son David Lemon, ___________________ (no detail on this David...so ?)

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I was looking for. Having searched high and low on the internet, I don't think I'd ever have found them. The extra information will hopefully help sort out this Lemon family, and at least rule out the ones that cannot be ours. We are definitely connected to these Lemons because our Lemon ancestors were living in Killycronaghan from at least the 1830s to the mid 20th century.

The dates for the David Lemon, son of William Lemon, don't fit. I believe this David died unmarried in Lisgall, Clones in 1930, aged 83. The informant on his death was Robert Hall, his nephew. Robert was the son of Mary Anne Lemon and Robert Hall.

I believe this William Lemon is the "very old man" called William Lemon mentioned in Reverend Agnew's letters. He died in Killycronaghan on 27th February 1901, aged 87. He was married to Margaret Leary (1825-1909) and the children I have for him correspond with those mentioned in the letters:

John Lemon 1845–1895 unmarried
David Lemon 1847–1930 unmarried
Thomas Lemon c1849–? unknown
Elizabeth Lemon c1850–? unknown
Mary Anne Lemon 1850–1927 married Thomas Hall (1828-after 1911)
Isabella Lemon 1856–after 1911 married Joseph Elliott (1822-1899)
Sarah Jane Lemon 1857–1938 married Robert Williamson (1847-1919)
Martha Lemon 1863–1901 married John McEndoo (1855-?)
Margaret Lemon 1865–1896 unmarried
William Lemon 1868–1922 married Elizabeth Alexander (1882-1961)

It was my great great grandmother who was a Lemon. I am not a Todd or a Lemon by birth, so my Y-DNA wouldn't help.

As David Lemon and Mary Patten (and their descendants) are not mentioned in these letters, I can only assume that it's because we don't descend from Mary Todd, in which case our connection to these Lemons must be a generation further back, possibly through a brother of David's.

Offline lornanixon6

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Martha Lemon married John McEndoo, Co Monaghan.  They had one son, James W McEndoo b 1899 married Margaret Niblock.  They had one son, John Alexander McEndoo (1928-1996) married Mary Copeland.  Children of marriage: Lynn b 1954 and David James b 1959, living in Ontario, Canada.

John McEndoo (married Martha Lemon) was the son of James McEndoo my great grandfather.

Lynn is due to visit Co Monaghan again in May 2019.

Offline Electcentric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 30 September 19 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi - am new to this -but just to let you know my grandfather was Geoff Todd ( George Frederick Todd) and I have a copy of his typewritten work - Todd family Haghill so if I can help anyone in anyway please shout!

I am new to the forum as well.  I've been trying to build on my family tree for years but seem to get only so far before my subscription at any given site runs out.  I am a Todd and a direct descendant of James Todd b:1809 in Carluke, Lanarkshire, m: 1844 to Sarah Pettigrew (Peticrew) also in Carluke, Lanarkshire where they resided and had seven children before immigrating to Canada sometime after 1863, continuing on to Michigan US some years later where they died and were laid to rest.  I have no information for James other than that he was possibly a farmer.  I have not been able to find any info for any siblings or parents for James either.  Hopefully, finding this site will be the golden goose that need in order to actually find my roots.

Jellytot28 - I'd be eternally grateful if you are able to provide me any information from Geoff's work. 

Richard McMurtry, I bow to you and those who have worked with you to assemble and publish the works you've shared, and I would welcome any info or advice you have for me to assist me in finding my ancestors.  I did have a DNA test done and can share that info with you if it would be helpful.   

If anyone else has information or advice to share, please Reply and or PM me.

Thanks for your time.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 02 January 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Electcentric and lornanixon6,

I am sorry that your first messages have remained unanswered. Sadly the lady who started off the topic has sadly passed away. Hopefully Jelly and Richard will pick up on this reply.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Electcentric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 09 January 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Sarah, So sorry to hear that.  Thank you for letting me know.   :(

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 09 January 20 18:51 GMT (UK) »

Me too.

R.I.P.  Liz.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jellytot28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 09 January 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay. Re: Todd family Haghill we had a James Todd b.1810

Todd family from Haghill  (Carntyne) records we have dating back to 1530 - earliest spelling Tode then Tod. Todd Family grave Glasgow Cathedral. I will keep searching for links as my grandfather did very extensive research.