Author Topic: LEMON  (Read 50493 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEMON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.   As a matter of interest, did you have any HARBISON/HARBINSON's marry into your LEMON/LEMMON families?   I discovered that my families in County Monaghan tended to marry their cousins etc. so that the same family names seem to keep cropping up which can become very confusing. <grin>   A lot of the family members seem to have emigrated to California and I did find a lot of information in Ancestry.com 'Family Trees.'   However, that does not help much with those who stayed behind in Ireland and those are the people I am now interested in.    My John LEMON was supposed to have a father David and I am 'blowed' if I can find any record of him other than on John's Marriage Certificate.   Kind regards, Elizabeth (nee Gordon)

I have just come across something that may be of interest to you.

There are Lemons in relation to my tree!

I did a search of my family's estate-house and I have Harbinsons living there!

So there seems to be some connection between the 3 families!

May not be the same Lemons, Harbinsons and Swans but some coincidence??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Colin Fullerton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I am a newly registered member to this site and was interested in an old photograph hanging on the hall wall of my late mothers home. It appears to be definitely that of John Lemon and a strong possibility of another photo being that of Harriot Williamson (his wife).

I was chatting to a senior relation (98 years) who knew John Lemon in person. I hope to go to Smithborough Presyterian Church to access records to see if I can get any more information.

As I am totally new to trying to access information, you probably know more that myself. I am a great grandson of John Lemon.

Colin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
16th Mar 1880 Baptism. Tyholland Church.  Robert Thomas son of Robert Williamson + Sarah Jane Lemon from Carn.

4th May 1881  Joseph Elliott son of Thomas Elliott, Clones, married Isabella Lemon daughter of William Lemon of Killyconaghan, Killeevan in Scotstown Church.

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 January 09 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,  I am confident that the record you have listed for Joseph Elliott being married to Isabella LEMON (daughter of William LEMON of Killycronaghan) is my LEMON family.   The other item (son born to Robert Williamson and Sarah Jane LEMON) is also of interest as my Gt.Grandfather John LEMON married a Harriet Ann WILLIAMSON.   Having already established that there were a lot of 1st cousin marriages at this period of time I have a feeling that these also belong.

I see you have LEMONs in your tree (with a Harbison connection);  the Swans are the family I cannot connect with so far!   Mr. Colin Fullerton (who has joined this discussion) is also a gt.grandchild of John LEMON and is hoping to get access to some old records in the near future.

John LEMON of Killacronaghan married Harriet Ann WILLIAMSON on 18th January 1867 at Presbyterian Church, Smithboro, Co. Monaghan.   His father is given as David LEMON while hers is John Williamson of Listillen;  she was just 19 years old.   Marriage was 'By Licence'  - John Elliott. (interesting!)   In presence of Thomas LEMMON and Mary LEMMON.   The later two spelled their names with double m's.

At the time of the 1901 census I found a William LEMON (26 yrs old)  living with his mother Margaret LEMMON (Widow 75 yrs.) at Killycronaghan.

Do any of these names 'ring a bell' with you in relation to your family?   Thank you for making contact again and sharing this data.   Kind regards, Elizabeth

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 January 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
If my memory is correct Geraldine Swan married Charles Lemon, but this is in 1930's, their sons Peter and Richard were in US army but I think the earlier reference was to Swans/Harbisons/Lemons in Co Down.

I'm just tracing one particular line at the moment but will keep an eye out.......For now you'd be better off concentrating on Elliots/Lemons as it is only one of them marrying a Swan.....that one may not even be yours.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
11th April 1939   Tyholland C of I;  Robert Lemmon son of Moses Lemmon ExSgt R.I.C. of 132 Oldpark Avenue, Cliftonville, Belfast,  married   Charlotte E. Nesbitt  dau, W. M. Nesbitt, Mullaghduff, Donagh,  - WITNESSES William James Scarlett + Eilenn Nesbitt.

Offline Toddstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Andrew TODD,d.13 July 1843 & 1st wife, Sidney WEST,parents of Mary TODD Lemon
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I too need help with locating the early TODD/LEMON farm in Killacronaghan or Killycronaghan, in between Killeevan and Smithborough, County Monaghan, No Ire. My interest lies in the early TODD lineage, proof, and sources to sort out the various County Down TODD lines, and to find the missing very early cemetery [not in Prof. Richard S. Jessup Clarke's  excellent 21 volume Gravestone Inscriptions series].  Reverend Samuel A. AGNEW of Bethany, Lee Co., Mississippi wrote of this TODD/LEMON farm in his letters and papers preserved in the Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, Kentucky, USA.  One of Rev. Agnew's letters, dated 7 Feb 1898 was addressed to E.T. Helm [Emily TODD Helm] of Elizabethtown, KY. 

In this important letter he carefully writes: "Andrew TODD was married twice: first to Sidney WEST, then to Mary SIMPSON.  He had children by both wives.  His eldest son by his first wife, John TODD was killed at the battle of Waterloo in 1815.  His daughter Mary married a LEMON and remained in Ireland when her father with the remaining children came to America.  She lived on the place that was occupied by her grandfather and father and it is still occupied by her son, William LEMON, who if alive is now a very old man.  It is in Killachronaghan Townland, not far from Smithsboro in Co. Monaghan.  By his last wife Andrew had Samuel Rutherford born in 1807, Letitia Simpson born 1809 and Margaret Isabelle [or Isabella] born in 1811.  My mother, Letitia Simpson Todd married Dr. Enoch AGNEW in 1832 and died Feb 28 1879 in Union Co. Miss and is buried in Bethany burial ground in Lee Co., Miss."  [quickly transcribed in part, today from copy of original obtained, 2008, from Emily Todd Helm file at Ky His Soc.]

This TODD heritage is very important to either align or distinguish away from the early TODD family of Toddstown1 (a townland's nickname) and Toddstown2 (a farm near Ballynasveagh & Glaskerbeg East)- both in County Down, No Ire.  I am in need of specifics for an upcoming trip to repositories in County Down, as to where to find answers to the early, say 1580s-1860, Presbyterian TODD lines.  I am hoping that living ancestors still live on this TODD/LEMON farm, and at Toddstown1 and Toddstown2, and have answers in a shoebox.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance  for any clues.

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 March 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I have a LEMON family who lived and farmed at Killacronaghan and would love to share information
with you.   Please contact me at my email address
(*)  Elizabeth, Western Australia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Toddstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
TODD/LEMON farm in Co Monaghan
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 March 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Please post any info to this message thread. Thanks.