Author Topic: Hills family, Carlisle  (Read 9433 times)

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hills family, Carlisle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for the parents of a thomas hills c1810 he states on the census he was born carlisle. he married in newcastle upon tyne to a dorothy watson, but i cannot find his parents

regards
michael
gill, cumberland, winlaton, newcastle
davis, northampton, lancashire, newcastle.
bell, winlaton, newcastle.
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.
plant, yorkshire, durham, newcastle

Offline F M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I am sure Sir Andrew Hills was given much more than a title to make his short life worth living. His mother was Mary Grace Hills (nee Ashton, John Hills 2nd wife) She was my godmother and a wonderful lady. Andrew's death devastated her. John Hills was always known as 'Jack' by his friends and family.

It is my understanding that Herbert A Hills bought High Head Castle in 1902. He died there in 1907 and his wife Anna died there, I believe in 1909.
I am sure he was born in Rome. His father John Hills (b 1803 in Kent) moved to Italy shortly after he was married and lived there for the rest of his life. His father was Capt William Hills RN who married Elizabeth Waller. Thus John Waller Hills and Sir Andrew Ashton Waller Hills. I know nothing further of Capt William Hills, does anyone have any further information?

Mary Grace used to talk of a 'mansion' near Ash in Kent which John Hills inherited, his elder brother didn't want it - too expensive to keep up. I would love to know where it is or was. Can anyone help?

F W

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Happy New Year,

I am currently in touch with another member of the Hills family and hoping for some information on the family tree from work done by Edmond Herbert Hills, John Waller's elder brother, so this may well have the answer to the mansion question. I shall let you know as soon as this data arrives. It will also confirm the names and dates which you have on Herbert A's ancestors. Apparently there is Hills information going back to the late 1500s so I am awaiting it with bated breath.

Thanks for your reply,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline F M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!

Thanks for your reply.

I started by trying to find more about my godmother, Mary Grace (Ashton) Hills. Didn't get far! Got sidetracked with the Hills family, and now am intrigued. Hoping to discover more.

Regards
F W

Offline RGadalla

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was Dorothy Geraldine Ray Hills

I know she was related to John W Hills however I dont know how my great grandma fits in

Offline Nahed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 July 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi my mother Dorothy Josephine Sims was the daughter of Geraldine hills and related to the hills of high head castle wher they would spend the summers, I have photographs of family members in the grounds and will be going through my late mothers things to link back the familly tree... I remember tales of those hollidays and the Judge, my mothers cousin Joan would accompany him to dinners and social events....

Offline Nahed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 July 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Rayne hadn't realised you had been on this site! Hugs x