Author Topic: James & Agnes Diamond  (Read 36400 times)

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Diamond
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi MOnica,
Thasnks for your response it is good to see someone is looking, I see your helpful information in previous messages and thank you for them, are you connected and if so where do you fit in?please keep in touch I do want to contact Dolphin too as she is a direct desc and lives in the area so I hope she responds sooooon
kind regards
Kitty

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kitty,
Got your message, you say about John Diamond and Margaret, yes they are in my family research but I am a direct descendant of William, son of James and Agnes and William was John's brother. It would be good to hear from you again.
Regards,
Dolphin.

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kitty,
further to my last post, I thought I'd put in that John had a sister, Mary, who was christened in May 1806 but she died in 1807. I don't know if that is any help to you.
Regards,
Dolphin 53

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 March 11 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin,
Thanks for replying I am so pleased to hear from you as we are distant cousins same generation? not sure about that  but John your Williams brother  was my 3xggrandfather.  Have you been able to go back any further than James and Agnes? We believe they came over from Ireland, is that your belief as well? Bonus is you live in Scotland. What can you tell me about the family where did they all go? My branch of course went to Australia and NZ via London  and West Indies. I have been to Scotland but not since we found they came from Kirkmaiden, one day maybe Ill get there again.
kind regards
Kitty

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 March 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
hi kitty 92 and dolphin 53 (and "married with children" if she ever logs in again). I'm glad to see a new response to James Diamond & Agnes Smith. Have been waiting! I am also a direct descendant of this couple through their son William Diamond b.1797 and Elizabeth Addies (married 1816) and their son John Diamond b. 1832. This John emigrated to NSW, arrived Sydney Jan. 1857; married Mary Little (from Dumfriesshire) in Sydney, Nov. 1857 and began quite a dynasty in Parramatta/Westmead/ Leichardt areas through daughter Sarah b.1858, and sons John b.1865,and Charles b. 1870 (and there were other children). My mother's maiden name was Diamond, descended from John b.1865.
From my research it seems most probable that James came from Ireland though I have no definite proof. The name has old Irish origins (among others) and the Diamond name certainly expanded rapidly in south-west Scotland between 1800-1850- mainly due to the influx of Irish immigrants with the surname. And the name seems to have been quite rare in Scotland before this time. But it remains a guess. I'm in the UK now, be pleased to help or share info.

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi svsurf 02,
Nice to hear from you, you are of the same line as myself by all accounts. my brother, father and grandfather all carried on the name William. I have copies of births deaths and marriages on the Diamond and Addies relationship, it would be interesting to know how far you have got with it all.
That particular William was my gr8 gr8 grandfather. As far as I can gather their son James could possibly have been a doctor, but I want to confirm this.
Look forward to hearing from you again.
Kind regards,
Dolphin 53.

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin 53, and very nice to hear from you. We are probably not that far apart relative wise, my grandfather and g. grandfather were both William J. Diamond's, both b. Parramatta, Sydney,  though we have lost touch with most of the Diamond side. I have obtained a lot of records period extending1784 to the 1950s. Regarding Dr James Diamond (1837-1892) there was always an old family rumour of a past Doctor in the family and I have definitely confirmed this as the youngest son of William Diamond & Eliz. Addies; who married Grace MacKenzie, 1861 (have the record, parents names listed); first trained as a schoolteacher, later Medical Doctor, Glasgow University (I have the records), migrated to NSW about 1883-5 (have a likely record of travel), died Concord, 1892. A few puzzles- Grace either stayed or returned to Glasgow by 1891 (and I've been to her 1891 residence for want of something to do one day when in Glasgow) and died in Glasgow in 1903 (then a Doctor's widow). Grace was definitely the wife of our James, son of William & Elizabeth. It almost certain that James had a son William, who also became a Doctor (Glasgow Uni) and who also travelled to NSW and then settled in Auckland, NZ. There was also another brother to John and Dr. James,who immigrated- and this was older brother William b. 1829, who arrived at about the same time as James, early-mid 1880s. I haven't followed up on the children of Dr James- although I'd like to at some point. Anyway I would be pleased to hear from you again

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin 53 again, I also meant to say wow, I've wondering for a couple of years if any descendants if James & Agnes, and William & Elizabeth, remained in the Kirkmaiden area. Thought that there probably were a few, but the name doesn't seem very common in the general area of old Wigtownshire. Do you have many known Diamond relatives?    Oh yeah, Grace Mackenzie and James Diamond were married in Renfrewshire but later moved back to the area (Stranraer) according to census info. (1871) and this was also near where Grace was supposedly born (maybe Ince??). Also check Census 1881 for Grace ( then Glasgow) although James, then a Dr. was working away at this time.   

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
hi svsurf 02,

It was good to hear from you, and to confirm for me about the doctor part of it, I thought it was.
Your 2nd post asks about family still in the area, well, I am in the Kirkmaiden area and have been for 33 years, though under my married name, I have an older brother (Diamond) still living in the "Inch" parish of Wigtownshire who has 4 grown up kids all married. I have a younger brother married with 2 grown up kids living in Portpatrick and the youngest brother again married with 2 kids lives approx. 10 miles north of Stranraer, oh and not forgetting an aunt, my fathers sister, in Stranraer itself.  Unfortunately I lost my father in August of 1999 and my mother 5 years prior and my eldest brother almost 6 years ago, but yes there are still quite a few of us around the area. I haven't been doing my family tree for very long and due to other stuff going on I haven't done much lately but i hope to continue with it quite soon. but in the meantime I would really like to keep in touch with you, hope you feel the same.
Kind regards,
Dolphin53.