Author Topic: BLAMPIN - Cullompton  (Read 5839 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BLAMPIN - Cullompton
« on: Sunday 26 November 06 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have a 4xg grandmother who is Jenny Blampin b 1761.  Her husband is John Symes probably born in the 1760's.   Her father is Ferdinando Blampin.      He died in Cullompton, Devon in 1797.     I don't have his wife's name but do have other children.     I wonder if anyone knows anything about this family or where they originated from.    I'm guessing France or even Canada but not sure.   Any information about him / them would be appreciated.

thanks
lyraea
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline moombaprince

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLAMPIN - Cullompton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 06:03 GMT (UK) »
If you ever found out where Ferdinando Blampin hails from , please let me know , thanks Steve.

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Just to say what an amazing amount of info in Anx for this surname, staggering going back so far with probates etc.
Good luck with your search.
Tina m  :)

Here's a link I found
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=448536.0
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina

Thanks for the 'good luck'-as you can see I need it.   That post in the forum link you sent was put there by me but I haven't progressed with Ferdinando since then-sadly.   Every now and then I sit down and spend a few hours looking for more and I am sure at some stage it will be there.

Steve - can you tell me what your connection to this family.   

thanks
lyraea
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 November 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a note about the name -- Ferdinando is really the Italian version.
Spanish or Portuguese would be Fernando; French would be Fernand.

Blampin seems to be a rarer variant of Blampain.
If you search for both surnames here:
http://www.geopatronyme.com/
you get results for births with each surname in France between 1891 and 1990, just for illustrative purposes -- there are 10 times as many Blampain as Blampin births in each period (you can click to see the map for the various periods). They are particularly concentrated in the area around Calais in each period.

FamilySearch shows records for a Fernand Blampain born 1908 in France, for instance.
There are a handful with the Blampin spelling in the Canadian phone book today, probably all related. I would doubt that your Ferdinando originated in Canada; movement in that direction at that time from Quebec or Acadia to the UK would be very unusual.

So it's an odd combo of names! At least when you find one, you'll know it's him. ;)

Just doing a quick search at FS, you've seen that there are Blampin births in Devon as early as 1632? and in the early 1700s, with various fathers. In 1634 there is also the spelling Blampyn. There are clusters in Farway and Sidbury, not far from Cullompton. I would really think that your Ferdinando belongs to that clan, which was in Devon a good century before his birth, rather than that he himself was from away.

Also, you've seen the info on line saying this is a Huguenot name in SW England?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline moombaprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I seen the surname Frost when looking back at our chat messages , and if you are chasing Symes then you might have info on Mary Frost , John's wife.  Hope you can help , thanks Steve.( I can perhaps pass on all I have on the Symes Line in return. That particular John Symes was a Carpenter. His son John Frost Symes ended up a greengrocer in Melbourne.)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 November 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I never thought of looking down an Italian line but had it stuck in my head that he was French.   Another path to follow - thanks.   I agree with you comment about Ferdinando probably not originating in Canada but when you are a bit stuck you tend to follow all paths although I haven't spent to much time in that region for him.  Interesting site you sent as well and I will have a much closer look at it.  I am sure that Ferdinando was born in Devon as I believe his father is Thomas Blampin and mother Jane Maudit.   I found a marriage for them in 1718 and although I haven't found his birth/chr/bap record yet given his first child was called Thomas Maudit it seems that this is correct.   Also found a possible sister called Constance but yet to prove her.

Steve - Yes I do have info on Mary Frost although only back one generation at this point.  I am interested in John Symes - I have his descendants but nothing back beyond him.   I sent my email address so you can email me if you like.   

thanks

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
As I was reading this and noticed that someone else mentioned Sidbury:

One of my 8x great granddad's was Nicholas Blampin.
Nicholas married Elizabeth Pidgeon in Sidbury, on the 1st of April 1741.
I only managed to find this out because the Bishop's Transcripts are on Family Search.
However, they only appear to go up to around 1798, and some of the pages have many entries missing:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-893K-NFL5

I can only find that they had one daughter (they probably had more children though), my 7x great grandma, Sarah Blampin, baptised on the 30th of October 1742 in Sidbury.
Sarah possibly married William Carnell in Ottery St Mary, on the 22nd of April 1761.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there.   Thanks for the info.  I am not sure who Nicholas is but one assumes that as he was married in 1741 he was probably born between 1710 & 1720ish.  Ferdinando was married in 1757 so he was probably born between 1720 and 1730ish.  SO Ferdinando and Nicholas could have been brothers or may cousins.  I don't have any of Ferdinando's siblings. Your post has motivated me to check further into this line given things come on line all the time so you never know what may have turned up recently.  Also I know I have heard of Nicholas before but not sure where but he does sound familiar. Are the only Blampins you have Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth and daughter Sarah?
Thanks
Sandra