Author Topic: BLAMPIN - Cullompton  (Read 5847 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLAMPIN - Cullompton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 June 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there.   Thanks for the info.  I am not sure who Nicholas is but one assumes that as he was married in 1741 he was probably born between 1710 & 1720ish.  Ferdinando was married in 1757 so he was probably born between 1720 and 1730ish.  SO Ferdinando and Nicholas could have been brothers or may cousins.  I don't have any of Ferdinando's siblings. Your post has motivated me to check further into this line given things come on line all the time so you never know what may have turned up recently.  Also I know I have heard of Nicholas before but not sure where but he does sound familiar. Are the only Blampins you have Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth and daughter Sarah?
Thanks
Sandra
Hello,
Yes, they are the only Blampins I have found so far. I cannot find anymore that I can see.
The problem is that the some of the parish registers of Sidbury, were destroyed in a fire some time in the 19th century. The only parish registers that survived were from around 1812 onwards.
The Bishops Transcripts of Sidbury 1610-1798, do survive. But there are some key gaps in what survives: You get so far looking through on family search, and then there are rips in the middle of the pages etc. But some are in good condition.
This means that it is hard to trace back putting who fits into what person.
According to family search, there was a William Blampin who married an Elizabeth Burgess, in Sidbury in 1721. It is possible that he may have been the father of Nicholas or Ferdinando. But we may never know for sure:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2LT-QPB

My surname is Ebdon. In 1784 there was an "Easter" Blampin who married a Jonathan Ebdon in Sidbury. Her name may actually have been "Hester" Blampin. I think this Jonathan Ebdon was a Tailor. But I'm not sure how he fits into my Ebdons:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2LT-42P

According to family search here, there was a Nicholas Blampin baptised in Farway in 1713. He was the son of a Gideon, and a Sarah. This page shows that result and a few more baptisms in Sidbury:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&localeSubcountryName=Devonshire&query=%2Bsurname%3ABlampin~%20%2Bbirth_place%3ASidbury~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1700-1800~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22England%2CDevonshire%22&collection_id=1473014&offset=20

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 June 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
A quick glance at the Sidbury BT images on Familysearch shows lots of Blampins in the 1720s, many more than Familysearch's own index has. It appears they have not yet indexed many of the pages, so it would be worth looking through for Ferdinando, if you haven't already.

There are three Fardinando Mawditts baptised in Broad Clyst, 1724, 1729 and 1730. That fits well with Ferdinando Blampin's mother being a Mawditt, with the Christian name being imported from that side of the family. Another Fardinando Mawditt baptised in 1691 could be Ferdinando Blampin's grandfather.

David

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:16 BST (UK) »

According to family search here, there was a Nicholas Blampin baptised in Farway in 1713. He was the son of a Gideon, and a Sarah.

Nicholas son of Gideon Blampin was baptised at Sidbury 8 Mar 1714/15

There are later baptisms in the Sidbury BTs for children of Gideon and Sarah. I expect it's the same couple that were at Farway, the first Nicholas having died.

David

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 June 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the info and links.  It's interesting isn't it. 

Hi David.  Good to hear from you again.  I have to confess I am not sure what you mean by Sidbury BT images on Family and Family Searches own Indexes - sorry.  However that is interesting information you have there and I haven't looked for a Ferdinando Mawditt/Maudit at all.  I did try and find something for Jane Maudit but found nothing.  Of course records are being added all the time. Anyway with the Ferdinando Mawditt you mentioned baptised 1691, I would think he is probably Fedinando Blampin's uncle. Jane Maudit and Thomas Blampin were married in 1718 so I have Jane's birth about 1693. Will wait to hear from you re the BT images.  Thanks

Hi Robin? Depending on how old Jonathan was when he married do you think it is possible he was alive at the time of the 1841 census.  He would have been between about 75-90 I guess.  Worth a look at the Devon census for him and his wife as she could have been younger than him.  Was Ebdon a common name - I've never seen it before so just wondered whether it is worth working down from whatever info you have on your father side thru the census although you have probably done that already. Interesting also about Nicholas. I don't know what access you have to Ancestry or Find Past but I have full access if you want me to look anything up for you. 

No the Blampins are not easy to track although there are plenty of them and since a lot of the records were lost in a fire it makes it more difficult. I will do some more hunting and let you know what I come up with, if anything. Thanks
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 June 18 01:08 BST (UK) »

Hi David.  Good to hear from you again.  I have to confess I am not sure what you mean by Sidbury BT images on Family and Family Searches own Indexes - sorry.

Familysearch have a large collection of images of Devon BTs. Those for Sidbury are at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93K-NFB2   Not all years have survived but they do have, among others, 1713-1717 (starting at image 56) and 1720-1730 (starting at image 72). Also some badly damaged ones without date that probably come between those two periods and from just before.

However, if you search for Sidbury baptisms from that period on Familysearch you will only get results from 1721. The other years have not been indexed yet.

Yes, I muddled the Fardinando Mawditt dates. It is more likely that the one born in 1691 was Ferdinando Blampin's uncle and his father, also Fardinando, the grandfather.

I also misread the date for the Nicholas Blampin at Sidbury. It was 8 Mar 1713/14, the same day as the baptism at Farway. It looks like both records are for the same Nicholas. Either he was actually baptised twice, or perhaps the family lived in one parish but baptised him at the other and the vicar of their home parish decided to record it there as well. (It may well be that the Sidbury PR had an explanation but the vicar didn't bother to copy that into the BT.)

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 June 18 08:42 BST (UK) »

Hi David.  Good to hear from you again.  I have to confess I am not sure what you mean by Sidbury BT images on Family and Family Searches own Indexes - sorry.

Familysearch have a large collection of images of Devon BTs. Those for Sidbury are at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93K-NFB2   Not all years have survived but they do have, among others, 1713-1717 (starting at image 56) and 1720-1730 (starting at image 72). Also some badly damaged ones without date that probably come between those two periods and from just before.

However, if you search for Sidbury baptisms from that period on Familysearch you will only get results from 1721. The other years have not been indexed yet.

Yes, I muddled the Fardinando Mawditt dates. It is more likely that the one born in 1691 was Ferdinando Blampin's uncle and his father, also Fardinando, the grandfather.

I also misread the date for the Nicholas Blampin at Sidbury. It was 8 Mar 1713/14, the same day as the baptism at Farway. It looks like both records are for the same Nicholas. Either he was actually baptised twice, or perhaps the family lived in one parish but baptised him at the other and the vicar of their home parish decided to record it there as well. (It may well be that the Sidbury PR had an explanation but the vicar didn't bother to copy that into the BT.)

David

Hello there,

Thank you for finding a baptism of Nicholas in Sidbury, and other children of Gideon baptised there. I will have a look at the Sidbury Bishop's Transcripts.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has some Blampin records.

Also a Ferdinando MO(UN)DIT married Elizabeth COMMONS 21 Sep 1684, St Andrew, Cullompton
( A Thomas Mandit also married there 1683)

I can only find 1 child on there Father Ferdinando;
SARAH Ma(un)dit 17 Dec 1684

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has some Blampin records.

Also a Ferdinando MO(UN)DIT married Elizabeth COMMONS 21 Sep 1684, St Andrew, Cullompton
( A Thomas Mandit also married there 1683)

I can only find 1 child on there Father Ferdinando;
SARAH Ma(un)dit 17 Dec 1684

Trish :)

I put those Cullompton records on FreeREG (based on the transcripts by Peter Bazley and Elizabeth Howard). The writer at that time made his "u"s and "n"s identically which is why I put the [UN] showing it could be either. Seeing as it seems to be the same surname as Mawditt I suppose we can assume that Moudit and Maudit were intended here.  (He spells Francis with a double consonant in the middle, but despite dozens of examples I still can't decide if he means Frauncis or Franncis.)

The Ferdinando name was in the family as far back to the 1620s, when three children of Fardynando Mawditt were baptised at Cullompton.

David

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Yes and it is good to know because I have searched many places (not the Sidbury BTs) but almost everywhere else and I have never some across one.  Also I would have thought that the Blampins (and now maybe the Maudits) went back into France later than what it appears they did. So they may have come to England before most of the records started in the early 1500s.
I am looking forward to trying to tie this all together in the next couple of days.  I have been trying to sort out about 3 or 4 other families that are only only in the late 1700 to early 1800s but it is about time I tried to look at other family lines.  So I am really grateful for your help with this.  Thanks David.

Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley