Author Topic: BLAMPIN - Cullompton  (Read 5808 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLAMPIN - Cullompton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 June 18 22:19 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

I also misread the date for the Nicholas Blampin at Sidbury. It was 8 Mar 1713/14, the same day as the baptism at Farway. It looks like both records are for the same Nicholas. Either he was actually baptised twice, or perhaps the family lived in one parish but baptised him at the other and the vicar of their home parish decided to record it there as well. (It may well be that the Sidbury PR had an explanation but the vicar didn't bother to copy that into the BT.)

David
[/quote]

Thank you.
I found out that a Gideon Blampin married a Sarah Street in Farway on the 7th of April 1713.
Nicholas was baptised on March the 8th 1713 at either Sidbury/ Farway.
Before 1752, it appears that the Calendar year began around March the 25th.
So Gideon and Sarah were married near the beginning of that year, and Nicholas was baptised near the end of that calendar year.
I found on family search transcriptions for children baptised from the pair in Farway between Nicholas in 1713 (who is also on the Sidbury Bishops Transcripts), and the last one in 1726.
I only found one other born from the pair put down in the Sidbury transcripts, and that was Thomas, baptised on the 8th of December 1723.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the info and links.  It's interesting isn't it. 

Hi Robin? Depending on how old Jonathan was when he married do you think it is possible he was alive at the time of the 1841 census.  He would have been between about 75-90 I guess.  Worth a look at the Devon census for him and his wife as she could have been younger than him.  Was Ebdon a common name - I've never seen it before so just wondered whether it is worth working down from whatever info you have on your father side thru the census although you have probably done that already. Interesting also about Nicholas. I don't know what access you have to Ancestry or Find Past but I have full access if you want me to look anything up for you. 

Hello,
Regarding Jonathan Ebdon:
The only Jonathan Ebdon I can find in the Sidbury BT's is one baptised September the 6th 1741, the son of an Edmond Ebdon, (image page 126).
Then on April the 17th 1767 (image page 183): A Jonathan Ebdon married a Mary Hutchins in Sidbury.
"Easter" (Hester?) Blampin and Jonathan Ebdon were married on the 20th of September 1784 in Sidbury.
I found a burial in Sidbury for "Easter/Hester" Ebdon for the year 1833. Her estimated year of birth was put down as 1760. But I can't seem to find a baptism for a Hester Blampin (in Sidbury anyway) for around 1760. The marriage register states that they were "both of the parish."
There was a Jonathan Ebdon who was buried in Sidbury in 1810. That is the only burial I can find for a Jonathan Ebdon.
It gets a little confusing though:
The 1784 marriage of Jonathan Ebdon abbreviated: "Jno" and Easter Blampin (image page 237 Sidbury BT's) states that Jonathan was a "Blacksmith".
The "Devon Wills Index, 1163-1999 Transcription" for Jonathan Ebdon that died in 1810 in Sidbury states that he was a Tailor.
I suppose they could be both the same person who became a Tailor after first being a Blacksmith.
But I'm not sure, because that seems a little strange to me.

Regarding my Ebdon's generally:
My earliest direct Ebdon ancestor I have been able to verify is my 8x great granddad John Ebdon (1702-1791):
John Ebdon "a labourer of Sidbury", as stated in the marriage register, married Mary Isack/ Isaac at Clyst Hydon, on the 13th of November 1727. 
Because of the state of the Bishops Transcripts, I have not been able to find a baptism for John. But his birth year comes from his estimated age put down at burial of 89 years. John was buried on the 24th of April 1791 in Sidbury. His burial is on Sidbury BT image pages 289-290.
John's wife Mary Isaac was baptised on the 2nd of September 1703 in Clyst Hydon. So if John's estimated age at burial is correct, it is not many months off from his wife's age.
This John was possibly the same John Ebdon who signed the Sidbury Oath Rolls of 1723.

I suppose Ebdon is not all that much a common name really. However, there do seem to have been  quite a few in Devon.
Apart from Sidbury, there appear to have been branches in: Ottery Saint Mary, Salcombe Regis, and Sidmouth. These are all near to Sidbury.

There have been Ebdons in Sidbury from before 1608. There is a farm in Sidbury called: "Ebdon's Farm."
A William Ebdon was witness to the Will of Christian Clapp, wife of Richard, in 1608. A Thomas Ebdon, among others took her Inventory, on August the 9th 1608:
https://mathcs.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr01/rr01_146.html
From the first pages of the Sidbury Bishops Transcripts up to 1624 (from what I can read of them), it mentions: Thomas, William, and Anthony Ebdon . A Thomas Ebdon was buried in 1624.
According to the Sidbury Bishop Transcript image page 4, there may have been a Thomas Ebdon who was a Church Warden. He is on a list of names with a few other people at the bottom of some burials. It probably I think says "Wardens" next to a list with his name on, but I can't quite read what it says.

But alas, because of the state of the Bishop's Transcripts and key baptisms missing/ not viewable:
 I am unable to link up my John Ebdon "of Sidbury", who married in 1727, with the earlier Ebdons in the Sidbury Bishop's Transcripts I mentioned above. But I feel certain that there must be link.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 18:28 BST (UK) »

The 1784 marriage of Jonathan Ebdon abbreviated: "Jno" and Easter Blampin (image page 237 Sidbury BT's) states that Jonathan was a "Blacksmith".
The "Devon Wills Index, 1163-1999 Transcription" for Jonathan Ebdon that died in 1810 in Sidbury states that he was a Tailor.
I suppose they could be both the same person who became a Tailor after first being a Blacksmith.

Some people will tell you, Jno never means Jonathan. I wouldn't be quite as dogmatic, but certainly agree it almost always means John. It would be interesting if it can be proved that this groom was Jonathan. Are there any children for Jonathan and Esther/Hester? Have you seen the Abstract of the Will? it may mention his wife.

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »

Some people will tell you, Jno never means Jonathan. I wouldn't be quite as dogmatic, but certainly agree it almost always means John. It would be interesting if it can be proved that this groom was Jonathan. Are there any children for Jonathan and Esther/Hester? Have you seen the Abstract of the Will? it may mention his wife.

David
Hello,
I have only seen something to do with his Will on Find My Past. It was free to view. It only gave his name as Jonathan, and his occupation as a Tailor.
I have only found one child that "Jno" and Hester Ebdon had from a burial in the Bishops Transcripts. This was not long before the transcripts stopped around 1789:
"John Ebdon, son of Jno and Hester Ebdon - July 22 1788 - 11 months old: Cause of Death - Consumption."
Interestingly below this further down there is a burial for James Blampin, aged 70 years, and a Mary Blampin aged 63 years, (all on image page 265):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G93K-NJ9F?i=264

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
FindMYPast's Devon Will Index is an index to several sources. The entry for Jonathan Ebdon has source DDR1 which refers to the Death Duty Register held by the National Archives. It is primarily a record of the taxes paid at death but there is usually a brief abstract of the will concerned. Copies of records from 1796-1811 can be purchased online, for £3.50. Jonathan Ebden in 1810 should therefore be available, but a straightforward search on their website doesn't find him. However if you search for anyone from Sidbury in 1810 he turns up!

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7179187

The first thing to notice is that it's an Abstract of Administration, not of a Will. That means he didn't have a Will but someone was appointed to administer his estate. It also means there may not be much detail, just the name and relationship of the administrator.

If you click on "Preview a low-resolution image of this record" you can get a poor image but there's enough to see his administrator was a son Edmund, also a Taylor from Sidbury. There is a column for next of kin but it's either empty or has been removed from the free image. I suspect that if his wife was still alive (and of "sound mind") she would have been the adminstrator so it's looking less likely that this Jonathan was married to Hester.

There was a Edmond Ebdon buried at Sidbury in 1851, aged 83. He appears as a Tailor in the 1841 census. So he was born well before the wedding of Jno and Hester and is presumably a child of Jonathan Ebdon and Mary Hutchins who married in 1767.

It looks very probable that Jno and Jonathan are different people.

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
FindMYPast's Devon Will Index is an index to several sources. The entry for Jonathan Ebdon has source DDR1 which refers to the Death Duty Register held by the National Archives. It is primarily a record of the taxes paid at death but there is usually a brief abstract of the will concerned. Copies of records from 1796-1811 can be purchased online, for £3.50. Jonathan Ebden in 1810 should therefore be available, but a straightforward search on their website doesn't find him. However if you search for anyone from Sidbury in 1810 he turns up!

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7179187

The first thing to notice is that it's an Abstract of Administration, not of a Will. That means he didn't have a Will but someone was appointed to administer his estate. It also means there may not be much detail, just the name and relationship of the administrator.

If you click on "Preview a low-resolution image of this record" you can get a poor image but there's enough to see his administrator was a son Edmund, also a Taylor from Sidbury. There is a column for next of kin but it's either empty or has been removed from the free image. I suspect that if his wife was still alive (and of "sound mind") she would have been the adminstrator so it's looking less likely that this Jonathan was married to Hester.

There was a Edmond Ebdon buried at Sidbury in 1851, aged 83. He appears as a Tailor in the 1841 census. So he was born well before the wedding of Jno and Hester and is presumably a child of Jonathan Ebdon and Mary Hutchins who married in 1767.

It looks very probable that Jno and Jonathan are different people.

David

Thank you,

From the Bishop's Transcripts there was a Jonathan baptised in 1741 in Sidbury:
"Jonathan Ebdon, a son of Edmond Ebdon -Sep 6th.":  image page 126.
This may possibly be the Jonathan who married in 1767, and died in 1810.

The Edmond you mention was probably baptised on February the 12th 1768 in Sidbury:
" Edmond, son of Jonathan Ebdon". This is on image page 185 of the Sidbury BT's.

If "Jno" is John and not Jonathan then the one that might fit is this from the Sidbury BT's image page 162:
(Baptisms: 1759):
"John, base child of Susanna Ebdon - October 14th"
This would be only one year out from the estimated birth year (1760) recorded at burial for Hester Ebdon in 1833.

This John was possibly the son of Susanna who was baptised in 1734 in Sidbury, shown on image page 107.
Susanna was a sister of my 7x great granddad, also called John Ebdon! John Ebdon junior my 7x great granddad was baptised in Sidbury, on the 11th of July 1728.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 August 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there.   Thanks for the info.  I am not sure who Nicholas is but one assumes that as he was married in 1741 he was probably born between 1710 & 1720ish.  Ferdinando was married in 1757 so he was probably born between 1720 and 1730ish.  SO Ferdinando and Nicholas could have been brothers or may cousins.  I don't have any of Ferdinando's siblings. Your post has motivated me to check further into this line given things come on line all the time so you never know what may have turned up recently.  Also I know I have heard of Nicholas before but not sure where but he does sound familiar. Are the only Blampins you have Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth and daughter Sarah?
Thanks
Sandra

Hello,

Since this posting I have found some more Blampins in my ancestry:

Daniel Blampin and Sarah Cawly who married in March 1758 in Sidbury were my 7x great grandparents:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G93K-NJSY?i=158

I have no idea where or when this Daniel could have been baptised. If it was in Sidbury, then it may have been written on a page which has been damaged.

They were the parents of Esther Blampin, (who I found out was my 6x great grandma) baptised 1759 in Sidbury who married John Ebdon in 1784.

Thank you.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Since my previous posts in this thread I have found that I also probably have Blampin ancestors! Specifically an Alyse Blampin who married William Pomeroy at Gittisham in 1603. I don't know much about her with any certainty. She may be the Alse Blampin who was baptised there in 1579 (no parental details recorded), who may be a daughter of Thomas Blampyng and Joan Fowler who married there a few months earlier. It appears Joan died in 1582. A Thomas Blampin had a number of children at Gittisham from 1591 onwards. He died in 1622 and one of the appraisers of the inventory of his goods was a William Pomeroy so it's certainly possible he's the same Thomas. On the other hand, his daughter Cecily (d 1653) left a goldmine of a will, naming many brothers and brothers-in-law and nephews and nieces (not her sisters, but there are matching wedding records giving their names). Unfortunately she doesn't include any Pomeroys. Perhaps she wasn't so close to her possible half-sister, or perhaps it's a different family.

However - and of more interest to other posters - her brothers include a Nicholas and a Gideon, and they had sons called Nicholas and Gideon. So it is likely that this Thomas is an ancestor of the Nicholas son of Gideon discussed earlier.

David