Author Topic: trying to find a father  (Read 977 times)

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
trying to find a father
« on: Monday 15 November 04 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out who my grandmothers  biological father is. I have her birth certificate but no  name of father written on it. Is there any way else I may try and find out who he was. I  have asked around but no one knows.  Probably will never find out but it doesn,t hurt in trying I guess.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: trying to find a father
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 04 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My husband has the same problem with his Grandmothers birth certificate.

If no name is recorded you will be hard pushed to find answers.

The only possibility in finding some information is from family members or people who knew her mother. If you have already asked about then your chances of finding out any more are slim.

You will find a lot of people will not speak about it at all (taboo) which does not help you in finding out any more information

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 04 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is there anything on her wedding certificate at all ?

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 04 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Peter may well be right there, have you considered searching for a possible marriage?

That is to say if the birth wasn't illegitimate

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 November 04 19:49 GMT (UK) »
It is not uncommon for a person born out of wedlock [having no father's name on birth certificate] to declare a father's name at marriage, occupation too. Sometimes they even marry under that name however and then they are hard to find - you get them only by luck.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone ,I tried but as you said it will probably stay in her moms grave. The only thing written on her birth certificate is her moms name ,where and when she was born  thats all. but thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it. ;D
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 20:53 GMT (UK) »
 :'(
Hi Charby,

I have the same problem, on my GGfather's (supposed- cause I have no absolute proof) birth cert. it only gives his mothers name and the fact that he was born in the workhouse.    I am spending hours looking through the first census following his birth date in the workhouse catchment area and have come up with two possible contendersfor her, but as he himself disappears from birth until he is 21 when he marries, I think I am looking for the needle in the haystack. 
 I have asked my mum, but she has no ideas, only remembers him as a fairly old gentleman who she loved  (ahh, thats nice)
To make matters harder, when he marries he gives a name and occupation for his father, who he says is 'deceased', and has added a second name inbetween his christian name and his surname.  I am also searching for him under this name as a surname, so far with no luck whatsoever, as I say, he seems to have disappeared, slipped the net, etc.    So take heart, there are a few of us out here having just the same problem.  You never know, one day something may surface.

Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire