Author Topic: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo  (Read 24189 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 January 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I have also come across some of the family of the coastguard Greer family of Elizabeth & Robert in the Skreen Parish records (Church of Ireland)

James Nicholsen   Grier Baptised   3/9/1879   Born    27/7/1879      Portavad
Louisia Grier  bap 22/12/1881  born 13/12/1881    Dirkmore

There are many Greers in the Skreen Parish records and a few Martins. I imagine the Fanny Martin of Dunmoran who died in 1919 aged 77 was not your Fanny but another one.

Cheers

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 January 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thomas James Slush 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Easky_West/Leaffony/768099/

Claim of Thomas J Lush of Kilglass,Co Sligo re motor car commandeered by national troops 1922.plus Wills searched under Slush or Lush, search Archves here
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy1/genealogy-records/wills-testamentary-records/

edit
http://lushfamily.wordpress.com/

Offline Gwendy21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 February 21 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, Ray et al, I might be able to help with info on Lush and Gilmore families.  Thomas James Lush is your great grandfather Debbie and he owned a flax mill. You will find him in Irish Census records 1901 and 1911.  Sometimes they used the name Slush (don’t know why!) so you might need it for searches.  His wife was not Martha but Mary Ann also called Mamie (nee Gilmore).  She is not in the Sligo search in either census because she was teacher training and then teaching in Dublin in 1901 and 1911. They married and had five sons.  Due to cheap imports of Russian flax, the Lush mill had to close.  The family moved to South Wicklow where Mamie secured a teaching post and Thomas James bought a farm. Yes they had five sons, one of them Oswald.  Oswald joined the British Navy and after service he settled in England and from what I heard, became very English, leaving his Irish roots behind! He had a very successful teaching career.  He died in 2007. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 21 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Thomas James Slush in 1901 census in Leaffony.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Easky_West/Leaffony/1677917/

See also dathai's reply #19 for 1911 census.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 April 21 06:31 BST (UK) »
I have a different  Greer question.

The 1901 census shows John Greer(70) and wife Eliza (76) at Ardabrone with one son Stewart (26). Stewart's birth record confirms his mother was Eliza Uncles/Unkles.

I cannot read the name of her father in the 1859 marriage record on Irishgenealogy. Does anyone have access to a better copy of that record.

I am trying to sort out the various Unkles families and am currently looking for any records for the family of Young Unkles  b c1809 of Dunmoran who died 1869. I have the Griffiths vals record and the index record of his death but nothing else.

I have some photos of the Harte family of Young Unkles granddaughter Isabella (daughter of Robert Unkles of Masreagh) and want to see if or rather how they are related to the Robert Unkles of Toberawnaun who married my gt grandmother's sister Catherine Clarke in 1878.