Author Topic: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo  (Read 24193 times)

Offline charlied

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hello annie54
Hope this gets to you as i am not sure how this thing works!! Mark martin and fanny greer were my g grand parents. i think they had 10 children according to irish 1901 census. emily was my grand mother she married a david deane and lived most of her life in londonderry. i knew 4 of the sisters PK ( percival kate) ,lamb (amy) jane (possibly correctly jennie) and my grandmother emily. PK became a matron in coleraine hospital and remained a spinster. Amy married dr leslie and was clildless (possibly due to gassing in ww1 where she was a nurse. She received the order of st john (their equivalent of the vc. aunt jane's married name was graham.she had 1 daughter joan who married dr peter tobias and was in practice for a while with dr leslie. joan and peter had 2 children -john and barbara jane.John sadly was killed in a helicopter accident while a colonel in he army.would love to contact jane who married to an officer
in army.Would be vry interested to hear where 6 siblings ended up. I have vague recollections of an elderly lady calling a our house in portstewart with photos of her family in canada. there were stories that she killed her husband !! pk and my grand mother seemed to be disassociated from her.
would like to here from you

regards

charlied

Offline charlied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello annie54
Hope this gets to you as i am not sure how this thing works!! Mark martin and fanny greer were my g grand parents. i think they had 10 children according to irish 1901 census. emily was my grand mother she married a david deane and lived most of her life in londonderry. i knew 4 of the sisters PK ( percival kate) ,lamb (amy) jane (possibly correctly jennie) and my grandmother emily. PK became a matron in coleraine hospital and remained a spinster. Amy married dr leslie and was clildless (possibly due to gassing in ww1 where she was a nurse. She received the order of st john (their equivalent of the vc. aunt jane's married name was graham.she had 1 daughter joan who married dr peter tobias and was in practice for a while with dr leslie. joan and peter had 2 children -john and barbara jane.John sadly was killed in a helicopter accident while a colonel in he army.would love to contact jane who married to an officer
in army.Would be vry interested to hear where 6 siblings ended up. I have vague recollections of an elderly lady calling a our house in portstewart with photos of her family in canada. there were stories that she killed her husband !! pk and my grand mother seemed to be disassociated from her.
would like to here from you

regards

charlied

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 May 11 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlied,

According to my info the marriage of Francis (Fanny) Greer to Mark MARTIN in 1872 produced 13 children - Eliza 1872, John 1874, George Thomas 1876, William 1877, Mark 1878, Fanny Ellen 1880, Ethel Mary 1882, Matilda 1885, Emily 1886, Theresa Jan 1886, Amy Ann 1888, Percival Kate 1890, May Victoria Maud 1892.
A couple of years ago I was in touch with a Mrs Joy Cawley from Canada who is descended from the marriage of Matilda MARTIN  to Thomas CAWLEY in 1912 in Maniatoto Canada.  They must have immigrated to Canada. 
I have quite a bit of other information about their origins in Leaffoney.  How can I pass this on to you?
Ray

Offline charlied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
hello ray.just back from a wedding at the weekend so sorry for not returning earlier. i would be delighted to hear of any info you may have. i have not mastered the message system yet. i live in northern ireland. i somehow think you are a long way away!! would it be possible to scan the info and e-mail it?  you will have to advise me how to send my e-mail address as i think this forum does not permit disclosure

regards

charlied

Offline poppy mackintosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 September 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

My family name is Lush and I am looking to retrace some family history.  My great grandparents were Mammie and Thomas James Lush from Leaffony Co. Sligo where they owned a flaxmil.  They had 5 sons and I am looking to find out as much info as I can.  Any help would be really good.  Many thanks Debbie

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 September 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Re Thomas James Lush of Leaffoney.  I have a comprehensive family tree for the Lush family which includes information about your Tomas James and his five sons as noted below.
Regards,

Ray 

21.  THOMAS JAMES LUSH (WILLIAM SLUSH, THOMAS, WILLIAM1, [--?--]A)129,130 was born 11 Jan 1879 in Leaffony, Kilglass, Co. Sligo, Ireland, and died 12 Jul 1962.  He married MARTHA GILMORE, daughter of HENRY GILMORE and SARAH SLEATER.  She was born 27 Oct 1881 in Ballysodare, Co. Sligo, Ireland, and died 07 Feb 1965.

Notes for THOMAS JAMES LUSH:
Thomas was given half his father's land upon which he built a house and a flax mill. This was later sold to his cousin James Shannon. The family then moved to Co. Wicklow, Ireland, where his wife taught school.

More About THOMAS JAMES LUSH:

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Debbie. Lovely that someone researching the Lush family has replied so quickly  :)

Can add a bit more from online resources in case you don't have the information.

This might be your Henry & Sarah Gilmore- but no daughter Martha listed:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Ballysadare_West/Stonehall__or_Carrownageeragh/1682499
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Ballysadare_West/Stonehall_or_Carrownageeragh/908560

Possibly Thomas James Lush in 1901 (transcribed as Slush!)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Easky_West/Leaffony/1677917
Can't see the family there in 1911.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline poppy mackintosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 September 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I am new here and to be honest I don't find this website user friendly.  So if I end up replying to the wrong person please forgive me.  Thomas and Martha were my great grandparents.  I am trying to find out why their son Oswald left to set up a new life in the UK and kept away from the rest of the family?  I am curious to know what brings you to research the lush family?  There is a lush family website which my cousin has created, where you can see Martha and her sons, but I am not going to post details here as I am not sure yet if that is permitted?  I don't even know how to reply by private message!!! I guess I need to spend some time getting to know this site.  If I can help you in your research I will do my best.  Thank  you very much.  Best regards, Debbie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.