Author Topic: whitehills, boyndie, banff  (Read 40100 times)

Offline princess1

• RootsChat Member
  • George William Ranson Ord in Tobruk WW2
    • View Profile
whitehills, boyndie, banff
« on: Tuesday 28 November 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Can someone please help........ if possible can anyone let me know the names of the "kirkyards" that surround Whitehills and Boyndie.

I have found on a site ANESFHS the MI section, but I can't work out where the cemetries (kirkyards) are back in the 1800's................

I have looked on Scotland maps but most of them are by council areas, and Whitehills etc is not listed.

I hope I have not been vague here it is not my intent.  Living in Australia and never having been there I am in the hands of wonderful people like yourselves.

With kind regards
Princess 1
Australia
ORDS, Robson, Yeaman, Ranson,-  Durham
Fisher, Armstrong, Watson - Northumberland

Watson,Downie, Findlay - Boyndie, Whitehills /Banff

bervonian

Re: whitehills, boyndie, banff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The website http:/www.findagrave.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=626115 gives a comprehensive list of graveyards/cemeteries throughout Scotland.  It mentions Boyndie (St.Brandan) Old Churchyard which has a Burial record/Lair plans from 1856.  It contains 58 tabletop stones of which 9 are significantly decorated and over 100 upright stones from the early 19th-20th century.
There is also Boyndie New Cemetery which has Burial record/Lair plans from 1941.
I'm uncertain if Whitehills has a cemetery of its own or whether burials take place at Boyndie Cemetery. Perhaps some RootsChat member living locally can tell you.
To see a map which includes Boyndie and Whitehills go to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap and click 'I want to Get-a-map now'.
Enter the co-ordinates NJ655645 to see Whitehills.

Bervonian.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 07 11:31 GMT (UK) »
i work in whitehills and to my knowledge there is only one churchyard in the vicinity and that is on a small road from the main banff raod towards whitehills - i drive past it once a week and i always think it seems like a strange forgotten place - its only small -  its right next to a big noisy farm - but there is no sign on the gate what its called - although i think it must be the boyndie one. You know when u get a strange feeling about a place - like i always feel as though someone i know might be buried there - never heard anyone make any ref to it before you! Strange how things hapen like that...
I can find out what its called if u like
theres certainly not one in whitehills village itself as far as i know - this one is only a mile outside whitehills anyway so i would guess it would be that one they were buried in

Let me know what u want me to lookup
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline princess1

• RootsChat Member
  • George William Ranson Ord in Tobruk WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 07 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear Alison,
I can't believe what you have told me.......... I have searched and searched for a kirkyard in Whitehills but to no avail.  All our ancestors have been fisherman in Whitehills and with a common surname of Watson from that area, I am unable to ascertain from other kirkyards if my ancestors are buried in any of the yards i have found.  Any information you can give me would be absolutely fantastic.
The name of the kirkyard would be a great start.....
I have a list of 39 kirkyards in Banffshire and have trawled through most of them
with no luck.  Its hard when you don't actually know where the yards are!!!!
The names I am interested in are Watson/Lovie/Downie.  If you come across any of those surnames I will let you know christian names if applicable.
Alison, thanks once again for your efforts and I look forward to your reply.
With kindest regards and wishes
Princess1
Australia
ORDS, Robson, Yeaman, Ranson,-  Durham
Fisher, Armstrong, Watson - Northumberland

Watson,Downie, Findlay - Boyndie, Whitehills /Banff

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 07 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am 90% certain that the churchyard i mean is called Boyndie churchyard but can check tomorrow with some of my pupils who live in whitehills. I work at Whitehills primary school with a lovie family - common name around banff - in fact i used to teach her daughter!

Why do you think theyre buried in Boyndie - did you say they lived in Whitehills?

In any case I have the Boyndie monumental inscriptions infront of me here - so fire away with some names - theyre bound to be in this churchyard i think if they lived in whitehills...i dont know of any others....

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 07 12:32 GMT (UK) »
sorry- slip of finger!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 07 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I have found on a site ANESFHS the MI section, but I can't work out where the cemetries (kirkyards) are back in the 1800's................

I have looked on Scotland maps but most of them are by council areas, and Whitehills etc is not listed.

Whitehills is in the parish of Boyndie, and it is about two miles west of Banff, the next parish along the coast from Banff.  The old church was at Inverboyndie, which is about halfway between Whitehills and Banff. It's marked on modern maps.

Look for Inverboyndie at www.streetmap.co.uk. There is also a map of the graveyard locations on the ANESFHS MI pages.

The parish is in the County of Banff (or Banffshire; but never 'Banff County'). It is in the part of the County of Banff which became part of the short-lived Banff and Buchan District in 1975, and is now part of the 'new' Aberdeenshire.

Surviving burial records are at the Registrar's in Banff http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/registrars/offices/banff.asp but be aware that Aberdeenshire Council registrars charge £10 per hour for access to[/b] the burial ground books. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 07 13:45 GMT (UK) »
one of my pupils from whitehills confirms that that churchyard between banff and whitehills is inverboyndie - and that there is only a new churchyard in whitehills and no others in the area - she knows the area well

Alison

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 07 17:29 BST (UK) »
hi - remember your whitehills/boyndie query?
Do you want me to go and look in that churchyard for watson/lovie/downie?
Let me know people your searching for and il have a look
Alison