Author Topic: whitehills, boyndie, banff  (Read 40074 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: whitehills, boyndie, banff
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 August 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure if I can help but I live in Whitehills if you need any research...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline gloswegian

• RootsChat Extra
  • There's always another World Cup
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have just discovered that my GGG Grandfather James Robertson, was buried in Boyndie graveyard in June 1839. It followed a fishing accident in which three out of the four men in the boat died. This is a report from the Edinburgh Caledonian Mercury in June of 1839:

MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT.—THREE LIVES LOST.—On Thursday last, the 30th ultimo, a coble, belonging to the salmon fishing station of Messrs Hogarth, adjacent to Whitehills, left the harbour at Blackpots, about eleven o'clock forenoon, for the purpose of bringing on shore their bag-net, which, owing to the violence of the surf, was apparently driving among the rocks, where it would have been soon torn to pieces. The coble was manned by four men, Charles Maclean, James Robertson, and two lads from Rosemarkie, near Cromarty, who, proceeding towards the net, the boat swung round broadside on to the wave, and was struck by a heavy sea, and three of the men precipitated into the water. One of them regained the boat, which had (relieved of the men) again righted, but was full of water. This young man being an excellent swimmer, rashly resolved, by the assistance of the boat, to clear himself of the incumbrance of his clothes, and swim on shore, which, having partly effected, the boat being then sunk to the gunwales, he left her to make the attempt; but the tide then running strong, and the surf very violent, he was soon exhausted, and with much difficulty reached the rocks, where he was dashed by a tremendous wave upon the very first rock he reached, and killed on the spot; his body has not yet been recovered. The two others, for a very brief space, were seen struggling violently in the surf, but soon disappeared. One of them kept hold of the boat, and drifted with her on shore, but so exhausted that up to this day (Monday) his recovery is doubtful. The two bodies recovered were decently interred in the church yard of Boyndie. Charles Maclean and James Robertson have left widows and families, in poor circumstances, to deplore their sudden and untimely fate. In the end we deem it fair to state, that the fishermen of Whitehills, on learning the catastrophe, hastened to the spot, boldly facing the raging surf, to afford assistance, so far as practicable; but we are sorry to say the fate of the unfortunate sufferers was sealed before their arrival.
:'(

Would anyone in the area know any more about where he is buried? I visited the Whitehills village last month but this was unfortunately before I knew anything about this accidental death.

Apart from the fact that James married Jane Urquhart in june 1837 and fathered a son, William in 1838, this is all I know about him. Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Gordon
Robertsons in Whitehills Banff

Offline bills1

• RootsChat Extra
  • And I thought i was the only one left !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 March 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I could not believe my eyes when i saw your mail !!
I have spent years trying to trace my Grandmother - Alexina Ritchie ( b 12/11/1891 illegitimate = father, Alexander  Paterson )
Have now found that her mother was Jane Ritchie who married Alexander Clark 13th September 1892  ( as Alexander Paterson had died ! )
Jane's parents where James Ritchie & Margaret Watson.
All the males seem to have been fishermen in Whitehills, Boyndie.
Please reply if you have any info or links with these families
Regards
Bill
Laker - Lind = SUSSEX
Ritchie - Paterson - Watson - Udny = SCOTLAND
Walker - Read = NORFOLK

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined this forum & saw your postings. Are you still looking for your family in Banff area? I was there in 2007 & have photos of Whitehills/Inverboyndie/Banff new & St Marys kirkyard Banff. I have a headstone photo of a George LOVIE d 1940 & his wife Helen SLATER d 1955.  Also Henry WATSON, shipmaster, d 1908 & his son Henry Jnr, d 1950 which I am happy to forward on to you if they are of any relevance.
Regards
Far Away

Offline bills1

• RootsChat Extra
  • And I thought i was the only one left !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes i am still trying to find info on my Grans family in the Whitehills/Inverboyndie/Banff areas, i would love to see any photo's of the area.
I intend to go  there when i retire & try to get the feel of what it was like in the past !!

Many Regards

Bill
Laker - Lind = SUSSEX
Ritchie - Paterson - Watson - Udny = SCOTLAND
Walker - Read = NORFOLK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
Yes i am still trying to find info on my Grans family in the Whitehills/Inverboyndie/Banff areas, i would love to see any photo's of the area.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ6565 and surrounding area.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline princess1

• RootsChat Member
  • George William Ranson Ord in Tobruk WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 04:03 BST (UK) »
hi - remember your whitehills/boyndie query?
Do you want me to go and look in that churchyard for watson/lovie/downie?
Let me know people your searching for and il have a look
Alison
Hi Ali - long time no message, I have just got back into looking again (the winter here is keeping me inside!!)
Are you able to look into the Inverboyndie Cemetery for me? Any Watson/Downie/Lovie
headstones would be of great help and importance.

Once again thank you for your help with my query ;D

With kind regards
Kim (Australia)
ORDS, Robson, Yeaman, Ranson,-  Durham
Fisher, Armstrong, Watson - Northumberland

Watson,Downie, Findlay - Boyndie, Whitehills /Banff

Offline NickMeredith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I intend to go  there when i retire & try to get the feel of what it was like in the past !!

Many Regards

Bill

I've only just come to this thread, but as a child in the 1970s used to visit Whitehills frequently.

I made a recent return visit there in July/August 2010, partly to attend a local history event in Banff, at Banff Castle, and while I was there took a few photographs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldnick/sets/72157624693849714/

As to the comments about the two Kirkyards, they were pretty much sorted out accurately some way back up the thread. My experience is that the old yard (next to the farm) is very atmospheric, but pretty well useless due to the erosion of the stones. The new yard is well maintained, and slightly better protected and is well worth a visit. I have stood in it on bleak wet days for a couple of family funerals though.

Blackpots harbour is featured in one of the shots taken around the site of the old Blackpots brickwork, now sadly a static caravan site. By my time in the area as a child Blackpots Harbour was deserted, and the brickworks on its last legs. Whitehills harbour was then active as a fishing harbour. The fishing industry there died and the harbour was dead for a few years, it now seems much more lively again as a pleasure marina.

I hope the pictures are interesting. I'll keep an eye onthis board in case you have any questions.

Offline wjmilne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 July 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
Just come across this post.Someone from Australia was asking for photos
of Cemetery.Use 'Google Earth' they have it under 'Old Boyndie Cemetery'
a half mile west of Banff Links Caravan site.