Author Topic: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands  (Read 87864 times)

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated Sutherland Seeks Sutherlands
« Reply #153 on: Saturday 22 May 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Ben, i am another Sutherland who is related to John Sutherland & Catherine Gunn. John is my gggg Grandfather through his son Isaac Sutherland. Im finding very hard to find Catherine's Grandparents as i have her parents down as John Gunn & Janet Sutherland. As i have read some of your posts im not sure if this is indeed correct or not. Any help in Regards to the Sutherland family tree would be great help as im kind of thinking i may have hit a wall, although the Angus Stherland & Neil Sutherland has given me a glimmer of hope.

Any help is greatly appreciated
                                                    Ben

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Saturday 22 May 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben

I hope by Angus and Neil Sutherland you're referring to my direct ancestors! It would be great to find someone else related to this family. May suggest you check out the website http://www.badbeafamilies.com and send the webmaster an email - everyone involved in the website are very helpful and in one way or another, realted to each other!! If you are indeed a descendant of John Sutherland and Catherine Gunn then you are a Badbea descendant, and we'd very much like to hear from you!! :)

Tell them Bryce sent you. ;)
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline bensuvo81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sunday 23 May 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the warm welcome! Im am a relation of John Sutherland & Catherine Gunn, im just having a lot of trouble trying to find any information on either of them. I have found thier marrige on familysearch for 22 Nov 1796, but have hit a wall in regards to anything else. I think johns father is a James Sutherland, but unsure as i haven't found any certified info. I'll try the Badbea site that you recommended.
Thanks again & I'll keep in touch.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Monday 24 May 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Boys!!!!

Welcome to Rootschat Ben, glad you have found Bryce and I, we are also descendant from John Sutherland and Catherine Gunn of Berriedale. Bryce and I have done a fair bit of work on this family and we are happy to share what little we know. I do recommend joining the Badbea Families group too, they are very helpful and also very welcoming  ;)

I have one point to clear up though, you mention Ben that you are descendant from John Sutherland and Catherine Gunn's son Isaac Sutherland...yes?

I do not have a record of an Isaac Sutherland to this couple as yet....this doesn't mean that they didn't have a son named Isaac....just that I hadn't found him yet. I guess you have figured out that Sutherland's are thick in the water up there and there are many common names that get flung about a fair bit. I have spent hours (some with and some without Bryce) in Edinburgh trying to sort out this family. I can give you what I have so far and I am happy to add your Isaac Sutherland to the family...if you are able to pass on some details...birth, death etc. I am assuming that you got his parents from his death cert? That is how we have found most of the children of this couple.....very painstaking going through death certs when one doesn't know the names of their children!! But very rewarding when you spot one  ;D

So far we have:

John Sutherland m. Catherine Gunn 22 Jan 1796 at Latheron Parish Church (recorded as John Sutherland and Katherine Gun both in Achancraig Ousdale contracted in order to marriage and married)

Children:
Jane Sutherland (born abt 1798 at Berriedale, m. Thomas Rutherford, d. 1879 West Kilbride Ayr)
James Sutherland (born abt 1800 at Berriedale, m. Catherine McKay, d. 1894 Dunbeath, Latheron)
Elizabeth Sutherland (born abt 1804-7 Berriedale, d. 1876 Berriedale) This is my rellie
John Sutherland (born abt 1809 Berriedale, d. 1888 Berriedale)
Hannah Sutherland (born abt 1810 Berriedale, m. David Sutherland, d. 1899 Berriedale)
Janet Sutherland (born abt 1812/13 Berriedale, m. Angus Sutherland, d. 1900 Berriedale) This is Bryce's rellie

My Elizabeth (or Betty as she was known) did not marry but had an illegitimate son James Rutherford from whom I descend.

I have census data for John & Catherine Sutherland in Berriedale as below:

1841 census - Newport, Berriedale, Latheron, Caithness

John Sutherland 70yrs Tenant Farmer of this county
Catherine Sutherland 65yrs of this county
Betty Sutherland 30yrs of this county
Janet Sutherland 25yrs of this county
James Rutherford 4yrs of this county

John died somewhere between the census' but it is pre-registration so there is no death certificate.

1851 census - Newport, Berriedale, Latheron, Caithness

Catherine Sutherland head widow 75yrs Farming 4 acres b. Berriedale, Caithness
John Sutherland son U 41yrs Fisherman / Ag Labourer b. Berriedale, Caithness
Elizabeth Sutherland dau U 44yrs? House Servant b. Berriedale, Caithness
James Rutherford grandson U 14yrs Scholar b. Berriedale, Caithness

1861 census - Berriedale, Latheron, Caithness

Widow Sutherland Head W 90yrs Crofter b. Berriedale, Caithness
John Sutherland Son U 52yrs Fisherman b. Berriedale, Caithness
Elizabeth Sutherland Dau U 54yrs Housekeeper b. Berriedale, Caithness
George Sutherland G Son U 16yrs Scholar b. Berriedale, Caithness

Catherine's death cert is recorded below:

14 Jun 1861 Catherine Sutherland - widow of John Sutherland (Crofter) Of Newport, Berriedale. 88yrs Father John Gunn (Crofter deceased) mother Janet Gunn (MS Sutherland deceased) Cause of death - old age. Informant John Sutherland (son present)

I have not found a baptism for either Catherine Gunn or John Sutherland as yet, there are a few possibilities....... but am still looking  ;)

Does this information fit with your family?

I would love to hear more about Isaac...where did he end up?

Thanks for getting in touch and I look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)

Jenny

Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline mandyfostersutherland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there. My name is Mandy Foster and I am working on the Sutherland Family history. My husband is David Sinclair Sutherland from the North Bay, Ontario, Canada Sutherlands. We just got back from Scotland visiting Latheron, Lybster and surrounding areas. We think we have gone back as far as 1700 for the family.
David's great, great, grandfather was Donald Sutherland married to Amelia (Dunnet?). He was the son of Neil Sutherland and Janet Bain.
I think we have some information to share!
Please get back to me. Thanks

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Sunday 08 October 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy,

I am not related to the Neil Sutherland line, but Bryce is so I will let him get in touch.

Neil Sutherland and Janet Bain's son Angus Sutherland (abt 1803-1888) married Janet Sutherland in 1843 as his second wife, she was the daughter of John Sutherland & Catherine Gunn (which is my line of Sutherlands....there are sooo many!)

I don't have any info on your Donald Sutherland....though Bryce might. But this is what I have on Angus:

death cert:
Angus Sutherland crofter and woollen weaver (married 1st Janet Gow (dec), 2nd Janet Sutherland) died 31st Oct 1888 Achnacraig, Berriedale. Male 85yrs Fa: Neil Sutherland crofter and fisherman (dec) Mo: Janet Sutherland (MS Bain) (dec) debility from old age (gradual) Informant Alex Sutherland (cousin) Post Office Dunbeath.

Memorial Insciption
In memory of.
Angus Sutherland died at Badbea 31st October 1888 aged 85.
Wife Janet Gow died 8th November 1841 aged 28.
Erected by his son William.

1841 census:

Piece: SCT1841/38 Place: Latheron -Caithness Enumeration District: 12
Civil Parish: Latheron Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Berriedale
Folio: 0 Page: 6
Address: Knockally

SUTHERLAND Angus M 35 Wool Hand Loom Weaver Caithness
SUTHERLAND Jannet F 25 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Eliza F 30 Caithness
DOUGLAS John M 7 Caithness

We also found a sister for Angus, and therefore also a sister of your Donald Sutherland, named Esther. Her details are below in case you haven't got them.

Sister:

13 July 1877 at Bruan, Latheron marriage
James Sutherland (crofter & cooper journeyman) widower Fa: Benjamin Sutherland crofter & fisherman dec Mo: Catherine Sutherland (MS Cormack dec) 70yrs Res: Smerly Swiney, Latheron
Esther Sutherland (agricultural labourer - widow) Fa: Neil Sutherland crofter & fisherman dec Mo: Janet Sutherland MS Bain dec 50yrs Res: Smerly Swiney, Latheron
Wit: John Bain, Margaret Forbes

Death: Esther Sutherland crofter widow (married 1st William Bain crofter 2nd James Sutherland) crofter died 10 Mar 1900 at ??Hill, Smerlie, Lybster aged 75yrs Fa: Neil Sutherland crofter dec, Mo: Janet Sutherland MS Bain dec Heart Disease & Pneumonia. Informant Alexander Bain son & inmate present.

1871 census - Badharigo, Swiney Estate, Lybster, Latheron

William Bain Head M 66yrs Crofter b. Swiney, Caithness
Esther Bain Wife M 46yrs crofter's wife b. Dunbeath, Caithness
Margaret Bain Dau U 15yrs Scholar b. Swiney, Caithness
Alexander Bain Son U 13yrs Scholar b. Swiney, Caithness

1891 census - Swiney Estate, Lybster, Latheron

Esther Sutherland Head W 62yrs Crofter b. Latheron, Caithness (gaelic & english)
Alexander Bain Son U 32yrs Gen Labourer b. Latheron, Caithness

I hope that helps, and that you are able to link up with Bryce and other rellies :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Anjimiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also related to the Sutherlands of Latheron, but from a Peter Sutherland b 1854 and Elizabeth Gunn. My grandfather (Donald), seemingly one of many siblings where some went off to Canada.

I’ve managed to find Peter’s father Peter b approx. 1827 and his mother Jane Sutherland, and also his grandfather Peter and grandmother Margaret Stephenson.

I’d like to ask if anyone has come across them in their research as I’ve hit a brick wall trying to find any further relatives,

Thank you.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Anjimiller,

I've had a look in my tree and I am afraid I don't have any of the names you mention....no Peter Sutherland's at all in fact....so I am not sure that I will be much help  :-\

The Sutherland name, as you are no doubt aware, is thick on the ground in that part of the country.

Have you had a look at the Latheron, Caithness parish registers that Family Search have popped online? You need to be in an LDS family history centre or an affiliated library to view them, but they have all the pre-1855 parish records to scroll through....much cheaper than paying to look at individual images on Scotlandspeople. The parish records have occupation and location data that might help you sort some of them out  ;)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/84569

Jenny

Offline Anjimiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jenny, I will investigate your links.
And